Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can appreciate the fact that the Max is a four seater, designed for those who want to bus the family around, but as far as power, handling, and agility, can it even compare to the XRS ?? Another thing that puzzles me is why Can Am would put the same 1000 cc motor in the Max that's in the XRS ?? If you think about it, The Max has a much longer and heavier frame and is designed to hold two more people, Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems to me like you would have a much heavier vehicle and payload, how can you use the same motor ?? wouldn't it be an underpowered dog ?? Would you feel comfortable in the dunes with 4 people in it ?? I would compare it to the same as Ford putting a 4 cylinder Ranger motor into an F-350. Am I missing something here ?? what do you guys think ??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have not driven a 2 seat version, but have a 2014 Mav Max XRS and it has plenty of power. I also have a 250 hp Tomcar, which granted is a completely different type of offroad vehicle. But the Max is as fast as that puppy is, if not faster. I also haven't hit the top end yet as I'm still in the break in period but my friends who've been with me on both agree that the Max would at least keep up with the Tomcar, if not beat it. And again, I've got a 250 hp RX1 race engine in the Tomcar.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
that's kind of like say why doesnt ford/chevy put a smaller motor in the standard cab 3/4 trucks - and a bigger motor in the 4 door long bed 1 ton trucks with a boom lift ?

cuz the motor can handle a few hundred more pounds

rzr ,wildcat, teryx, ranger , didn't make a bigger motor for the 4 seater lol

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
If that 1000 in the max is that much fun, then imagine how much more is in the XRS not having to lug around all that extra mass. One thing I haven't seen is a drag race between the two which would be fun

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have had both, I'm not sure I agree with the magnitude of you comparison. It's a 300 lb weight difference, which is a lot. However Can-am compensated in different ways. The transmission is believed to have a 15-18% gear reduction.

The Max isn't nearly as sporty as far as the initial hit of acceleration the 2 seater has but it's still fast. They are two different machines, but so far I am way happier with the Max than I was the 2 seater.

It's just a really sweet machine and almost a novelty.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had both, I'm not sure I agree with the magnitude of you comparison. It's a 300 lb weight difference, which is a lot. However Can-am compensated in different ways. The transmission is believed to have a 15-18% gear reduction.

The Max isn't nearly as sporty as far as the initial hit of acceleration the 2 seater has but it's still fast. They are two different machines, but so far I am way happier with the Max than I was the 2 seater.

It's just a really sweet machine and almost a novelty.
I don't have a max I have a 2seater but I have buddies with Max's n they love them when we are riding or for the riding we do the Max does Not fall behind. fell sry for the guy that got a 4dr pooper he's the one that needs a lil more power

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't have a max I have a 2seater but I have buddies with Max's n they love them when we are riding or for the riding we do the Max does Not fall behind. fell sry for the guy that got a 4dr pooper he's the one that needs a lil more power
So have you raced each other? Just curious what the gearing on a MAX will do to compensate for the added weight with regards to acceleration.....I honestly, think Can Am has a different tune on the MAX and is putting out a little bit more power than the 2 seater. Would be nice to confirm and then see if we could get that program on the 2 seaters :smile:

How else can you explain how a MAX can do 75 MPH with lower gearing. Top speed is limited by RPM. So we can assume that if the clutches are working properly and are at full shift out that the MAX with it's 18% lower gearing would max out at 64MPH and the 2 seater would hit approximately 78MPH. Can someone confirm what the rev limiter is on the MAX???

·
Registered
211 Posts
So have you raced each other? Just curious what the gearing on a MAX will do to compensate for the added weight with regards to acceleration.....I honestly, think Can Am has a different tune on the MAX and is putting out a little bit more power than the 2 seater. Would be nice to confirm and then see if we could get that program on the 2 seaters :smile:
I'm starting to think all 2014's are tuned a little hotter from the factory.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The two seater is still much faster on launch, but they run nearly identical top end speeds of around 75 give or take.

The faster you go the closer they are in acceleration, but getting the big girl rolling definitely takes more time than the two seat.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The two seater is still much faster on launch, but they run nearly identical top end speeds of around 75 give or take.

The faster you go the closer they are in acceleration, but getting the big girl rolling definitely takes more time than the two seat.
See that doesn't add up if the MAX is geared lower UNLESS they never reach full shift out and they are goverened at the same top speed???

·
Registered
223 Posts
If that 1000 in the max is that much fun, then imagine how much more is in the XRS not having to lug around all that extra mass. One thing I haven't seen is a drag race between the two which would be fun
My Max is an XRS, assume you mean a two seater...

·
Registered
119 Posts

How else can you explain how a MAX can do 75 MPH with lower gearing. Top speed is limited by RPM. So we can assume that if the clutches are working properly and are at full shift out that the MAX with it's 18% lower gearing would max out at 64MPH and the 2 seater would hit approximately 78MPH. Can someone confirm what the rev limiter is on the MAX???
My MAX runs 78 mph at 8000 rpm on speedo. Add in my 30" tires and it's well over 80

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
as it does in all 4 seaters vs 2 seaters.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have not driven a 2 seat version, but have a 2014 Mav Max XRS and it has plenty of power. I also have a 250 hp Tomcar, which granted is a completely different type of offroad vehicle. But the Max is as fast as that puppy is, if not faster. I also haven't hit the top end yet as I'm still in the break in period but my friends who've been with me on both agree that the Max would at least keep up with the Tomcar, if not beat it. And again, I've got a 250 hp RX1 race engine in the Tomcar.

Then there is something wrong with your rx1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then there is something wrong with your rx1.
Sorry, not trying to bash you, but I was thinking the same thing, gotta be something wrong with your rx1 Tomcar. . . .lol. . . . .Seems like most of the responces are from Max owners trying to defend the Max. . . .Maybe calling it an underpowered dog was an overstatement, but as I originally said, I cant see how the max could compare to the XRS when it comes to power, speed, handling an agility. Somebody said that they compensate for speed and power with lower gearing, if that's true how could it have the same top speed that guys said it did. dosent add up. . . .Its true Polaris and Artic Cat both put the same motor in their four seater that's in their two seater. . . .but it still don't make sence to me. . . .three wrongs don't make a right. . ..lol. . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts

The lower gearing is in the CVT not ring & pinion. Like putting a lower first gear in but still having the same 4th gear. Get outta the hole quicker but top end is the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry, not trying to bash you, but I was thinking the same thing, gotta be something wrong with your rx1 Tomcar. . . .lol. . . . .Seems like most of the responces are from Max owners trying to defend the Max. . . .Maybe calling it an underpowered dog was an overstatement, but as I originally said, I cant see how the max could compare to the XRS when it comes to power, speed, handling an agility. Somebody said that they compensate for speed and power with lower gearing, if that's true how could it have the same top speed that guys said it did. dosent add up. . . .Its true Polaris and Artic Cat both put the same motor in their four seater that's in their two seater. . . .but it still don't make sence to me. . . .three wrongs don't make a right. . ..lol. . . .
You realize "XRS" is a trim package available on both the Max and the 2 seater right? There's only 250 pounds difference between the two, so my Max XRS with just me in it would have the same power to weight as a 2 seater with 2 corn-fed men riding in it. Add in the smoother ride over many terrain types, the ability to climb steeper terrain better and the increased versatility of two more seats and I think you'll see why the max is becoming a popular choice. Of course, weighted the same the two seater would have to accelerate a little quicker.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The lower gearing is in the CVT not ring & pinion. Like putting a lower first gear in but still having the same 4th gear. Get outta the hole quicker but top end is the same.
The only way to accomplish a lower starting gear ratio in a CVT tranny would be to have a smaller one way bearing in the primary or a larger/taller secondary making the ratio between the clutches higher. This is how all of the aftermarket clutches are designed and why everyone loves the off idle acceleration of them. I am pretty sure that neither of the two exist. Several vendors on here had stated a 16-18% lower gear ratio. I assumed they were talking about the gearbox…..

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I can't find anything to prove it has lower gearing. On the canam parts list all the part # are the same on both transmissions and clutches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 20 of 71 Posts