Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're currently working on a tune for the maverick Max 2.5 shocks. We've got a tune that we're sending out today to be tested through the whoops out west. The Max tends to have the same bucking problem that the 2 seater has in the whoops in the dunes so hopefully we can correct some of that.

Since I don't have much Max experience from a drive-ability standpoint if anyone has any complaints or anything that they think could be better please let me know so I can work that out. We're going to start with a basic revalve at first and then we'll jump over to a dual rate setup.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The max shocks for me are phenomenal compared to the two seater other than over the small stuff, I feel like they could be more plush. Keep in mind I am carrying a lot of weight as well, so you think it would be harsher on a bike without accessories.

I haven't softened up the low speed bc I didn't want the big girl to get squirrely and have body roll. Any adjustment we would be making would be splitting hairs bc it is really good, and very stable. Mine has never kicked, even on the really square edged water bars we have on the east coast. Maybe its different in a series of whoops. Our new years day ride we hit a lot of up and down mountains with water bars and it was amazing to me how the max soaked them up. If I would have been in my two seater, I would have been as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

A friend of mine has a spring kit on his XP 4 and it is super plush, but it also has tons of body roll which I want no part of. I am sure you can whip up something that will do it all.

Also I do think quality springs would be a big help.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
We're currently working on a tune for the maverick Max 2.5 shocks. We've got a tune that we're sending out today to be tested through the whoops out west. The Max tends to have the same bucking problem that the 2 seater has in the whoops in the dunes so hopefully we can correct some of that.

Since I don't have much Max experience from a drive-ability standpoint if anyone has any complaints or anything that they think could be better please let me know so I can work that out. We're going to start with a basic revalve at first and then we'll jump over to a dual rate setup.
Thanks Alex Im looking forward to getting our Max's dialed in for the big ass whoops at Glamis. Keeping the Tires on the ground and pushing forward will make the Ass whoopin we give the Polaris Boys even Better. Kinda like to have a way to do a Quick Disconect on the rear sway bar just for running the flat desert and the Whoops at the Hill. Heres a video of Phils Max at Gordons well and he had taken out to much Preload and It was Bottoming out a lot on the ride. He put the preload back up the next day and it handled a lot better.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. The front looks like it could use a little work too. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction with these improvements.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Alex, I ran my Max at Glamis as well this past week. Overall I think these shocks work fairly well, but the one thing I have noticed is with 4 people in the car the rear units tend to blow through the travel a bit quickly and bottom out solidly on moderate G-outs...much quicker than I think they should. Fronts not as bad. I did as had been suggested and completely closed down the hi-speed compression, then retested. Seemed a bit better, but still was not satisfactory and exhibited the same problem. Aside from internal changes, I believe these shocks would work so much better with dual rate coils. Nick Bruce (al8pex) was with our group as well, and his shocks that you reworked definitely performed awesome as I'm sure you've heard from him! Can't wait to get mine done.

I look forward to the results of your testing and the changes you make. Will definitely send mine in for reworking when you get things dialed in.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have to agree on the max, not sure why it is, but bone stock they have done great. I cant think of a single thing I would change on them. yes, I rode fast on whoops and had no issues. 2 seaters may have, but max seems fine as is.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to change the valving up a little bit to see what they do with stock springs to get a understanding of what changes do what on a longer wheelbase vehicle. Then once that is right we'll dual rate them like the 2 seat shocks and see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Anxious to hear about the progress!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I ride the Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan. When I took mine out it bucked so bad I couldnt even run sport mode(couldn't keep foot on the go pedal). The front seems very stiff and the rear wouldn't keep the tires in contact with the sand. Especially under hard excelleration. In the whoop sections it was hard to stay in the vehicle due to the bucking. I set my shocks to the xrs shock settings thread in this forum and it's a lot better but still not great. It's hard to say but my rzr4 800 rode a lot better over there. But will still never own another popo.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
yes maybe so, but you must recall where you at now and getting back is not always easy, I would not mess with mine, however if alex is going to see what he can aid it with, I would trust alex all day long, but no one else. he wont mess it up, if he cant gain something worth while it wont happen, that is what I like about alex.

dude, you must have had the dealer set it up, by default they do, and they did not know what was going on ( which by the way happens way to much). u should ride in mine, you ay look down to see if you really are in whoops...its that smooth.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
and alex I wish I lived near you so you could see how mine rides, I know improvement is always good, but as a base to start you would see the change im talking about in 2 vs 4 seater. im going to be keeping an eye to see what you can offer on enhancments, look forward to it

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I can make it plusher than stock while still keeping the suspension as firm as stock. Getting the right balance is the key.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dual rate shocks will be less forgiving as far as added weight goes which may be an issue for a 4 seater. The combined spring rate would be much softer and the added weight would make it sag much more than a single spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Alex, I noticed in that video i sent you that the jump I described as harsh and abusive on equipment is actually 2 small jumps together or woops. Maybe there is some buck in there and I haven't been on the right terrain to find it. It is at about 1:28 and is right after the left hand corner and before the uphill turn.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw it. If the suspension blows through the travel and bottoms out it will cause it to buck. I'm trying to find the spring rates that I want and Eibach makes them but I'm trying to find a more affordable option while still keeping the quality high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts