Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really hate to run this subject in the ground and it's very possible that it's a dumb question seems how I'm new to can am, but if they can't build a clutch for a 1000cc 2 seater, how the hell are they gonna keep one together on a 1500cc 4 seater?

·
Registered
998 Posts
The max will have the same 1000cc motor as the 2 seater and will more than likely have the same clutching, maybe some different weights on the clutch for the added weight of the machine.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The max will have the same 1000cc motor as the 2 seater and will more than likely have the same clutching, maybe some different weights on the clutch for the added weight of the machine.
I concur. Hopefully the work that they're doing right now with the Maverick will help them when the max comes out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad. I thought I seen somewhere that the max was a 1500.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My bad. I thought I seen somewhere that the max was a 1500.
If that was the case...we would all be salivating and chomping at the bit to buy the max units that get totalled out and rob the engine!!! I know I would!:serious:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If that was the case...we would all be salivating and chomping at the bit to buy the max units that get totalled out and rob the engine!!! I know I would!:serious:
Yep, that's exactly how this whole hi-performance SxS craze got started.

·
Registered
711 Posts
can am tested the stronger bolts i gave them, liked them, and have now put them into production on their machines, and tightened the tolerances on the machining of the taper in the primary. the primary is still designed to slip, but only slip under very very high loads in order to still save the driveline in case of a spike load to the drivetrain. the problem with the current units is that the primary was slipping all the time, when you were at full throttle, making a full throttle run, blasting across an open trail, climbing a hill, you name it the stock current clutch would slip. the newer and tighter tolerances along with the stronger bolts that will allow a higher torque yield are greatly reducing the slip of the stock primary.

so basically, can-am is putting the same bolts that i sell, in the production units, and offering them to owners when their bolts fail. just like i did years ago, using lapping compound on the taper and the new studs, i could almost eliminate the slip completely. by lapping the tapers together, using the locking compound that i have in my kit, and the new stud, you can get rid of the slip and headache.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Adam, I have your bolt for the primary that I have not yet installed. I'm kind of waiting till outside of my warranty before I swap it out, so if my clutch primary breaks the old bolt I should get the newest revision through can am or the old one that my machine already has? You seem to have a little insight with the engineers at can am so hopefully you can give me the info needed.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If it were me, I would not be waiting for the OEM bolt to break and destroy everything. Take it out lap the shaft and put the new bolt in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts