Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been tinkering with the idea of building and selling some parts to make that weird space under the cover a actual storage compartment. What do you guys think and is this something that Max owners would want?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379865279.544803.jpg

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's it worth to Max owners? Not sure where the pricing should be on this.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would like that to, however I think a few small holes should be drilled into each side as that area gets hot, need a way to have some venting, not much, but some. tools and stuff goes in my area, would not put anything sensitive there. of course I guess you could sell them as is, and we drill in any holes we may want also, this way its one size fits all...we could mod it with holes if need be.I like it. should be worth a hundred at least. just need to make sure that metal side don't get to hot as it could burn your leg, need to test it and make sure its not crazy hot after an hour long ride.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex, are you fabricating a lid? Or does the max have a cover or trim piece that closes it up?
I have a XRS in the shop and this uses the factory yellow lid. I assumed the base model has the same lid.
That's the thing that made me laugh about the Max. They put a lid to a compartment with no sides lol

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like that to, however I think a few small holes should be drilled into each side as that area gets hot, need a way to have some venting, not much, but some. tools and stuff goes in my area, would not put anything sensitive there. of course I guess you could sell them as is, and we drill in any holes we may want also, this way its one size fits all...we could mod it with holes if need be.I like it. should be worth a hundred at least. just need to make sure that metal side don't get to hot as it could burn your leg, need to test it and make sure its not crazy hot after an hour long ride.
This is the exact feed back that I need on products like this.
Being that I'd like to send this out a something that's powdered black (or not if people think it's better bare since the stuff on the inside won't be able to beat the powder off of it) I wouldn't want people to have to hack it to get some bent holes in it. I can't imagine it getting too much hotter than the cup holder area on the 2 seater.
The big question is how many holes or slots and what size would you prefer to see.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Build something insulated to keep 4 cans of pop, beer, or water cool.
If the engine wasn't there I would do it. I may look into that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Alex,

That is a great idea. Heat is main concern. I love the idea and will buy one immediately. I'm not sure how to get rid of heat . I already added thermo-tec to the entire area. Haven't ridden since adding it though.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't have a MAX but I know about the engine heating issue on the 2 seater….would you possibly be able to make it with a dual wall bottom in it to insulate the contents from the engine heat?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Alex,

It looks to me like there is a lot of space that is taken by the rods that are connecting the two sides. In seeing your prototype it gives me an idea to just cut two pieces of aluminum with tabs that could clip into some slots that could be put in the existing plastic with a dremel. I would also want something to be attached in fairly well to handle lots of bumps.

Waylon

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have a MAX but I know about the engine heating issue on the 2 seater….would you possibly be able to make it with a dual wall bottom in it to insulate the contents from the engine heat?
I'm using the existing bottom of the storage compartment. Without being about to flush the hot air out I don't know if the double wall would be too effective.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Alex,

It looks to me like there is a lot of space that is taken by the rods that are connecting the two sides. In seeing your prototype it gives me an idea to just cut two pieces of aluminum with tabs that could clip into some slots that could be put in the existing plastic with a dremel. I would also want something to be attached in fairly well to handle lots of bumps.

Waylon
They do take up space big the last thing I wanted was for the whole thing to rattle around and make noise. I know what slots or holes you're talking about where it mounts but I don't think I could have the tabs stick out far enough to hold it but also make it possible to get it in, plus the rattling issues.

Also when the bolts are tightened into the rods (which will be button heads on the final) it squeezes he instead of the grooves and it's in there very tight and rattle free.

I don't think the rods take up enough room to limit space. If I remove them or use the tabs or something of the like I'd be afraid they would push apart as it's bouncing and jumping down the trail. It's 1/2 diameter.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would put 4 dime size holes, or something like that, maybe 2 long slits would work and look better also. again the heat issue on your leg/hip and perhaps against the seat will need addressed. the idea is great and no one has done it before. heat reflects much more on metal than plastics. so im willing to try one when your ready. we need one

1 - 20 of 47 Posts