Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
^^^ Thanks! Helpful, even while nearing project effort level of former MavT rear sway bar...

Did you remove both front & rear bars? If so, what combo pavement/off-pavement? No way I'll remove the rear bar since I/we routinely drive our machines from either home-base or seasonal RV park with no need to trailer to staging points - exception being basic transport. Street legal in AZ with minor equipment adds (horn, lighted license plate plus registration tags and insurance). As such, highway speeds 55-65 mph to trail access are routine with desire for associated sway control. My project objective being significantly increased articulation while maintaining reasonable highway and off-pavement manners.

BTW, while waiting on the ordered front bar, found a YouTube video posted by user: AZ SxS Project entitled "Disconnect Sway Bar - Maverick Sport Max" insightful, which shows both empirical articulation data with and without stock sway bars connected (noting thinner 60" class bars) along with action coverage of each combo tested. Unsure if the author is a forum member, so won't directly link - google it. That confirmed for me that no sway bars at all isn't practical (nor safe) for most user applications. As often said, YMMV...

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^^ Thanks! Helpful, even while nearing project effort level of former MavT rear sway bar...

Did you remove both front & rear bars? If so, what combo pavement/off-pavement? No way I'll remove the rear bar since I/we routinely drive our machines from either home-base or seasonal RV park with no need to trailer to staging points - exception being basic transport. Street legal in AZ with minor equipment adds (horn, lighted license plate plus registration tags and insurance). As such, highway speeds 55-65 mph to trail access are routine with desire for associated sway control. My project objective being significantly increased articulation while maintaining reasonable highway and off-pavement manners.

BTW, while waiting on the ordered front bar, found a YouTube video posted by user: AZ SxS Project entitled "Disconnect Sway Bar - Maverick Sport Max" insightful, which shows both empirical articulation data with and without stock sway bars connected (noting thinner 60" class bars) along with action coverage of each combo tested. Unsure if the author is a forum member, so won't directly link - google it. That confirmed for me that no sway bars at all isn't practical (nor safe) for most user applications. As often said, YMMV...
I removed the front bar before it left my garage, rear bar after the first ride finding it tougher than my old farm truck Commander. I ride 0% pavement and maybe 5-10% gravel logging roads. The rest is extremely rough mountain trails, many very tight through the trees. I don’t mind the lean at 60 mph gravel corners, teaches you about driving smoothly feeling the weight transfer. Handles the same as all the top heavy vehicles I drive day to day, no sports car here.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The OEM 60" class rear sway bar and bushings from RMATV arrived yesterday, so my project today was R&R. It took me several hours to complete, including retorqueing all mounting hardware and re-greasing affected arm zerks plus the new bar's zerks. I started by following the BRP repair and maintenance manual procedure, which calls for removing both upper control arms inner bolt and rotating upward to allow the bar to swing clear past the arms. No dice, even with both coilovers disconnected at bottom and swung out of the way. Reattached the one side I'd disconnected, then removed and lowered one lower control arm inner bolts (as did @Turbo392) while supporting the outer arm against excessive droop (concerns wrt driveshaft). I chose the passenger side control arm due to greater access to mounting bolts. All done now.

This past Monday, my buddy and I did a local loop just outside town which is tight, off-camber and highly eroded in spots. Enough so that it was a moderately technical challenge for our former MavT machines modded for stability. This was our first ride locally after being in AZ's high elevation White Mtns for the summer season, so we were anxious to see how our MavS Xrc units performed. In brief, totally drama free with 64" track and near 15" ground clearance. He has been running his with no front bar and I ran the first time with the lighter diameter 60" front bar. I immediately noticed how much softer the car rode with the lighter bar, along with articulation being greatly improved. Although articulation gain with the smaller diameter MavS 60" class rear bar isn't nearly as substantial as with the front bar, I preferred having the balanced set, even with anticipated installation hassle.

I did some googling to attempt to determine relative differences in stiffness between bar diameters and found one formula that seems simple enough if accurate (assumes same tensile strength used on BRP sway bars). From that, I'll wrap this up with the original dimension comparisons as well as stiffness comparisons using that formula. Also noting, the actual bar diameter dimensions might be slightly different, however I used my original numbers for consistency. If any mechanical engineers out there disagree, please feel free to provide a more accurate formula.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FRONT / REAR
MavT bar diameter ----- 25mm / 30mm

MavS bar diameter ----- 18mm / 27mm

Diameter Delta ---------- <28%> <10%>

Stiffness Delta ----------- 39% -and- 11%

Front: 25.00/18.00 = 1.39 or 39% stiffer (OEM Xrc bar)
Rear: 30.00/27.00 = 1.11 or 11% stiffer (OEM Xrc bar)

·
Registered
8 Posts
One issue you may have that I had with my Commander, using a lighter bar with a wider stance may cause it to snap. It has happened to a few on the older machines.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
^^^ Highly unlikely on the rear bar. Seems unlikely on front too, but if so - easy replacement. Noting these bars are OEM MavS 60" class - just 4" less than 64" class X-series. Thanks for your comment!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had switched from the Commander OEM 7/8” rear bar to the OEM X model 3/4” bar. 2” wider wheels on each side caused the smaller bar to break.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Interesting. OTOH, MavS 60" and MavS 64" X-series bars are same width, with diameters being only differences. IMO, bar failure still seems unlikely with no abnormal geometrical stresses in play.

Also noting; I ran MavS bars nearly 5k miles on my 50" class MavT without issues with MavS bars being fractionally wider than MavT...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts