Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of very few aspects about my new MavS XRC that doesn't thrill is that BRP engineers chose to spec same diameter F/R sway bars as my former 50" class MavT rather than the smaller diameter bars on 60" class MavS. How would I know that? 'Cus swapping those smaller bars was one of the mods I did in pursuit of increased articulation. Measuring the XRC bars replicated MavT diameters. Some MavT and MavS owners disconnect the front bar or remove it entirely as did my buddy with his own MavT and likewise his own new MavS XRC. Me? I'd rather leave the bar in place.

As outlined in my MavT mods thread here, the smaller bars worked quite well in rocky terrain where we run our machines. Question is, will 60" MavS bars also fit the 64" MavS XRC? If so, I'm ready to order and install the front bar and bushings now and possibly the rear bar later this year. With that MavT no longer available to measure, would a 60" MavS owner kindly measure the overall width to end link attachment points? As shown below, I measure ~ 20 3/4".

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FRONT / REAR
MavT bar diameter ----- 25mm / 30mm

MavS bar diameter ----- 18mm / 27mm

Delta ------------------- <28%> <10%>

MavS XRC swaybar width.jpg

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
279 Posts
Mine is out parked out back in the dark. But if nobody gets back to you by morning I will check mine no problem bro.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated! If measurement is reasonably close, should work - just as did wider MavS bars on MavT. With MavS XRC owners not having gone down the "parts bin engineering" path I have, this might become a popular and affordable mod. We'll see...

As a footnote, MavT owners speculated on these forums that BRP intentionally stiffened F/R sway bars on the 50" class machine for liability reasons WRT higher tendency for rollover on such narrow track machine. I thought that had been addressed with subsequent 2019 release of 2019 60" MavS. But then, same diameter bars as MavT on 64" MavS XRC? Go figure...

·
Registered
279 Posts
2019 Sport 60".

Looks like its the same. Maybe 1/16" under 20 3/4".

Diameter is 17.5mm.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect! Thank you very much!

Measured widths likely differ only by bar thickness at flange attachment points, so I'll place my order with RMATV this morning. Also noting this mod should benefit those with MavS XMR and XXC model variants wanting greater articulation w/o disconnecting or removing the front sway bar. R&R on the rear bar is more labor intensive, however IMO results in balanced bar roll stiffness. I'll do that later.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No problem.

And yeah 17.5mm vs 18mm. Meaningless. It is obviously the same.

Hopefully it works out good and helps!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Order placed! Per screenshot, OEM parts nicely discounted and priced such that added an oil filter to achieve "free shipping" at $75. Likely obvious, same MavS P/Ns I ordered Nov 2018 for MavT.

·
Registered
367 Posts
interested to see how it acts once you have done the swap.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ Yes, I'll post an update at that time, though pretty certain I already know. Articulation increased significantly with these bars on my former MavT as outlined in post #45 of my mods thread. Seems likely even more gain with longer travel XRC suspension. As previously mentioned, my buddy kept his front bar disconnected on his own MavT and removed that entirely on day #2 of XRC ownership with no intention of reinstalling.

Online videos show front articulation is XRC's limiting factor in technical terrain, This is an easy and inexpensive and mod, one that I suspect XRC, XXC and XMR owners haven't been aware of with an assumption those sway bars are same specs as on 60" MavS. BTW, I verified on Can-Am parts fiches that all (3) 64" platform variants share the same P/N 706203649 front bar.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is this a first proof of concept for this modification or have others heard of/tried this modification? I'll be watching, but seems like it may be a while due to stock deficiency.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^ Frankly, I doubt most 64" class owners are aware - unless having compared MavS 60" vs 64" variants and noticing the much different bar diameters. Only a few on this forum with MavT did that swap. When I got my new XRC, I thought those bars looked larger so measured and confirmed same as MavT. Was quite surprised by that, thus the reason for the measurement question answered by SideXEach. I'm delighted that the smaller bar(s) will fit and think others here will likewise.

Current supply of BRP parts varies by item. My thinking is that assembly parts to build new models are readily available whereas some accessory parts outsourced to external suppliers are being delayed. For example, my buddy and I ordered a spare wheel, shrader valve and tire off RMATV's MavS XRC parts fiche which were in their stock and shipped promptly. We also bought Can-Am LinQ Pivoting Racks to carry those spares which were in RMATV's stock at that time. His arrived OK but my box was damaged in transit with the load bearing pivot castings MIA. Subsequently returned and refunded, with replacement order placed next day. RMATV shows estimated shipment on that rack in November! RMATV order confirmation for the sway bar and bushings shows backordered (not in their stock) but with shipment to me estimated Sept 28. Not too bad!

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you weren't so far away and not in a different country I would have traded you lol.

Bigger swaybar is actually interesting to me now that I know there are bigger available for so cheap.

I do get into some rediculous rocks and holes but that's like less than 5% of my driving.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ If you do eventually swap to 64" variant bars, hang on to them 'cus I'll wager you'll want to return to originals. Can't imagine why stiffer would appeal, other than to BRP's litigious department...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just hate body roll haha. The way the Sport came was brutal. It would start to lean stand like crazy on the front outside corner in harder turns. Not too hard to get the rear inside wheel to start to lift.

Stiffening up the Springs and bringing the ride up height helped a ton after a bit of playing around. The car actually drives within reason now.

I would like even less body roll. Just depends on where and how you drive.

But maybe you're right I may hate it lol. The car is set up pretty good right now. Close to just the right amount of oversteer for my liking.

For sure you are right about big bars and stiffness as far as legal garbage. Same reason the factory settings are such low ground clearance.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As an update, the MavS 60" swaybar & bushings arrived today from RMATV exactly as indicated at time of order. It's an easy install, however I'd prefer measuring before/after articulation with the XRC 64" bar, no bar and then with the lighter diameter 60" bar in place. I'll wait to do that when I'm home rather than here in the RV park. I think that this will be a popular mod for other MavS 64" platform owners, so empirical results are more useful than simply saying "it works better". Stay tuned - I'll update by the end of October.

MavS 60 front swaybar & bushings.jpg

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the thinner MavS 60" class front sway bar is installed and I claim success!

Articulation measurements were taken using same reference point on my buddy's atv jack, with objective being relative differences rather than absolute articulation. The driver front was lifted until the passenger side tire had slight friction against rotation. Reference point on the jack was the small welded round bead on top of the rectangular support member. Tires were aired to my preferred 8psi, noting that measurements would change slightly with greater (OEM spec) pressure. Baseline picture with stock bar wasn't taken on a level plane, thus skewing the apparent measurement. You can accept my measurements or replicate for yourself. From all this, installing the thinner sway bar achieved 75% of articulation vs no front sway bar at all.

MavS XRC - stock front sway bar - 12" max articulation
MavS XRC - no front sway bar - 16" max articulation
MavS XRC - 60" class sway bar - 15" max articulation

In my original post, I mentioned I might purchase and install the complementary thinner MavS 60" class rear sway bar later on, thinking the task would be similar to that when I swapped both on my former MavT 50" class machine. Wrong! MavS XRC suspension geometry, dimensions plus the arched a-arms makes that swap perhaps even easier than on the front bar, with nothing to remove except the bushing clamps and (temporarily) the end link bolts. I've already placed my order with RMATV and should have that to install within a few weeks. Not expecting as dramatic improvement as with the front bar, however it'll be a balanced combo that should work even better together.

Stock XRC sway bar:

No sway bar:

60" class sway bar:

Bar comparos:

Installed:

Rear bar access:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now disconnect the rear bar and enjoy another 50% of articulation and smoother ride. It’s also notable that you need to remove a lower a-arm to remove the bar altogether. It’s a snug fit going through the opening at the back of the chassis.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ I assume you did that removal on your XMR? :unsure:

On 50" MavT, add'l disassembly was required for clearance however hoped not-so with 64" X-series. Looking again, I see it's a similar problem where that bar can't draw back and rotate downward far enough without contacting one or both lower a-arms. Did you try unbolting bottom end of coilover to allow full droop? Once clear, it's easy to withdraw from the pass-through hole above the receiver port.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the shock off with both tires off the ground (XXC). Still couldn’t twist the bar out so I dropped one lower a-arm. Came out easy after that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts