Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the things I have been reading about clutch issues and arms, and now belts, I decided to put my Mav through some hard riding and see what happens. I just got it back from the break in service on the 9th and I had a little over 200 Glamis miles on it. This past weekend we went to Ocotillo Wells and I decided to see if I could abuse this thing and how it would hold up. I went on a ride Sunday from Cahuilla trail in Ocotillo Wells over to Superstition with two crf450 dirt bikes. Once we hit pole line rd on the south side of the 78 it started getting rough and fun. Our average speed was 54MPH and I was really beating the living crap out of the Mav on some really long sections of big whoops, small but high speed jumps, ruts, drop outs, and a couple of rocks. I was really surprised that I was able to hang with the bikes on most of the sections. The suspension worked really well keeping the traction to the ground and the steering in control. I did bottom out a couple of times on a couple of drops outs where the washes cut through while we were haulin the mail, but other than that it handled great. We had to make a quick stop on the back to camp to tighten up the exhaust on one of the bikes and a couple of guys that we had passed on the way that were on KTM dirt bikes stopped and wanted to check out the Mav. They could not believe that I passed them in a SXS. I drove it really hard to the point of thinking I was for sure going to break something. After 64.3 miles of pushing it as hard as I could, the only thing I need to fix is getting some harness pads for my 5 points. My girlfriend and I both have rashes on our necks from them. When we stopped, she looked at me and said that she felt like she was in the baja just like the movie dust to glory LOL I have about 25 minutes of go pro video to edit, so I will upload it and share the link when I am done. I am really stoked on the quality and reliability of the Maverick, not to mention how safe we both felt, even riding on that fine line a couple of times, good job Can Am!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
front gusset kit

heavy duty tie rods

clutch fix

u have a super solid mav !

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm with ya...before we tore it down to just the base frame, we put 400 miles of beating the shit out of it....zero issues..and we really beat the shit out of it (just ask USA guy...I took him for a spin) to see what we could find for weak areas know that everything was going to be replaced with race ready suspension, clutch etc.. I know some people have had issues that they shouldn't of..maybe we were lucky...whatever, but my experience- have a lot of confidence in your Maverick, its all that.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I think the belt issues are just bad luck. Riding in the sand puts more strain on a belt than regular desert riding. The Maverick is a solid machine. The most important thing you don't see is engine failures and frames bending.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I had it in for the break in service I had them check the belt since pretty much all the miles up to that point were in the sand and they said it was good, no unusual wear. I will be dropping it off for the recall in the next week or two. My son texted me today saying the guy I took for a ride in the Mav on Saturday was at his work looking at a new Mav already! LOL All it takes is a ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts