Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I got Eastlake axles. I have copied the link below. I am on my way home and have a buddy coming up is going to help me see if we can feel the noise and one end of the axle or other as we push it or pull it back and forth. Amazon.com: East Lake Axle replacement for rear cv axles set Can Am Maverick 1000 XMR/DPS 2016 2017 2018 705502414 705502351 705502413 : Automotive
I’m very familiar with East Lake China crap, the cheapest made. Always buy oem or Rhino 2 for that machine. Oem are superior to East Lake . Those axles won’t last long .
Hopefully you used oem wheel bearings , aftermarket tend to go out quickly and cause major damage .
Make sure the axles are fully seated into the diff .

if you push it far enough to make three tire revolutions do you hear the popping 3 times ? How about jacked up and in neutral ?

it’s only when turning and not while going straight ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m very familiar with East Lake China crap, the cheapest made. Always buy oem or Rhino 2 for that machine. Oem are superior to East Lake . Those axles won’t last long .
Hopefully you used oem wheel bearings , aftermarket tend to go out quickly and cause major damage .
Make sure the axles are fully seated into the diff .

if you push it far enough to make three tire revolutions do you hear the popping 3 times ? How about jacked up and in neutral ?
I bought the east lakes because everywhere I looked for the OEMS were sold put. I called partzilla and they said supply chain shortage. Wheel bearings were OEM. Will try those things you mention now.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I bought the east lakes because everywhere I looked for the OEMS were sold put. I called partzilla and they said supply chain shortage. Wheel bearings were OEM. Will try those things you mention now.
they are not sold out , RMATV currently has three $195 each . Canampartshouse also has them .
Im sure Craig on here has them also .
I didn’t check Super atv for rhino 2’s

wish you would have joined earlier ! We could have sent it to the right places 👍

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
they are not sold out , RMATV currently has three $195 each . Canampartshouse also has them .
Im sure Craig on here has them also .
I didn’t check Super atv for rhino 2’s

wish you would have joined earlier ! We could have sent it to the right places 👍
No noise when up on blocks in neutral. Only happens when wheel is turned. Feels like outer wheel gets in bind then noise happens. Put hands on axles, feels like noise is coming from the axle. Feels like it is coming from the wheel end of the axle and not the diff end... I did notice that the heim joint on my lower control arms in the rear, which are Highlifter arms have a lot of play in them. When I put my rear end up on blocks, I can wiggle the rear tires maybe a 1/4 inch of play all the way around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

That is a video of the rear tire play. Felt all around, movement is definitely in the lower arm Heim joint. Highlifter lower.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

That is a video of the rear tire play. Felt all around, movement is definitely in the lower arm Heim joint. Highlifter lower.
back and forth up and down is generally a bearing issue . Left to right will have some play .
you have new bearings. Did you use a new cone washer ? What did you torque the axle nut to ?
You want at least 177 ft lbs .
Check to see if your rear radius rods have wallowed out the bolt holes into an egg shape . Make sure all rod bolts are tight .

Could be a worn radial joint on the highlifter a arm where it attaches to the hub like you said , that doesn’t really explain the hard pop sound

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
back and forth up and down is generally a bearing issue . Left to right will have some play .
you have new bearings. Did you use a new cone washer ? What did you torque the axle nut to ?
You want at least 177 ft lbs .
Check to see if your rear radius rods have wallowed out the bolt holes into an egg shape . Make sure all rod bolts are tight .

Could be a worn radial joint on the highlifter a arm where it attaches to the hub like you said , that doesn’t really explain the hard pop sound
Yes, I do have new wheel bearings. I ran the impact on the castle axle nut, it is on there pretty darn good. I did not use a new cone washer. I will check the connector rod bolt holes. I ha e just 1 single rod at the rear. May try to reinstall the older axles and see if they make any noise. I kept those axles.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yes, I do have new wheel bearings. I ran the impact on the castle axle nut, it is on there pretty darn good. I did not use a new cone washer. I will check the connector rod bolt holes. I ha e just 1 single rod at the rear. May try to reinstall the older axles and see if they make any noise. I kept those axles.
what was wrong with the old axles ?
You have one rod per side , check both sides/torque to spec.
That’s a no on the “I used an impact and pretty darn good” :). Get out your torque wrench and make sure it’s around 180 ft lbs . Definitely use a new cone washer facing in the right direction.
There have been issues with east lake and cheap axles popping out of the diff and the circlip not holding , but you said it’s on the hub side

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't think anyone has asked this.
Does it pop when turned to left and the right??
It seems to only make the noise when I am turning in one direction or another. Not as I sit and turn the steering wheel, but as I am driving and the wheel is turned. Seems like straight ahead or straight reverse do not make the noise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It seems to only make the noise when I am turning in one direction or another. Not as I sit and turn the steering wheel, but as I am driving and the wheel is turned. Seems like straight ahead or straight reverse do not make the noise.
Yes, that is what I was getting at, making sure it didn't make noise just turning to the left

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, that is what I was getting at, making sure it didn't make noise just turning to the left
It makes noise turning both directions. Seems to mostly affect the outside wheel, but I do still occasionally get the noise from the inside turning wheel

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Maverick XMR. I have attached a photo. It has a small lift and runs 32" Carnivores. When turning, the rear end gives a wonderful popping noise or clunk, sounds bad. We have already taken the rear diff out and opened it up, it was in great shape. It now has new axles, bearings and bushings all the way around. Just trying to get some help, this is a frustrating one!!! Thank you all for checking it out. I am attaching a link to a video of the noise that I can recreate in neutral with the front wheels turned.

Thanks again!

View attachment 275115
I think it's your Heim joint, my X3 did the same thing till I changed them.
To much play in them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think it's your Heim joint, my X3 did the same thing till I changed them.
To much play in them.
Man, that would be outstanding if that was the case. I have both new rear heim joints coming in tomorrow from Highlifter. There was a considerable amount of play in them. They need changed regardless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I Do feel like the axles are at quite an angle. This is how the machine was when I purchased it. I did not put the lift on the machine. I feel like I did not hear these noises when the machine was purchased.
CV joints wear out, especially when set at steep angle. Of course it didn’t happen new, the CV s haven’t had time to wear out. Yet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
CV joints wear out, especially when set at steep angle. Of course it didn’t happen new, the CV s haven’t had time to wear out. Yet
The axles now making the noise are brand new. Just put them on, 0 miles on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, that would be outstanding if that was the case. I have both new rear heim joints coming in tomorrow from Highlifter. There was a considerable amount of play in them. They need changed regardless.
One thing is for sure don't buy cheap Heim joints, even the good once only last for so long.
Just keep an eye on them every 2 or 3 rides check them, they do take a beating on the Mav's

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok guys, just a quick update and it will be slightly anticlimactic. I finally got new heim joints in from highlifter for the lower arms. There was A LOT of wiggle in both rear wheels, even after replacing the wheel bearings. Traced it to the heim joint on the lower arms on both sides. After calling highlifter and ordering new ones, they sent me the wrong heims at first, they were for the connecting rod (radius rod-esque). So waited another week to get the right ones. Got them and installed and it took away all play in the wheels while up on jack stands. In the mean time, I removed the front drive shaft, somehow the stupid thing had a slight bow in it. Maybe unrelated, but figured I had it up on stands for over a week, may as well replace it. Ordered a new OEM front shaft it isn't in yet. So, I am currently unable, or maybe it is unwilling, to test because I have the front differential detached from the frame. Figured I would wait it out until Partzilla sends the front prop shaft. While I was waiting decided to replace all coolant with a flush and refill. Also ripped the valve covers off and adjusted all the valves which were all just ever soo slightly out of spec. Now, just twiddling my thumbs until this front prop shaft arrives. Then I can test it out and see where it may lead me next.

At this point I have 4 new axles, 4 new wheel bearings, new brakes, 2 new rear knuckles, the new heim joints, I have removed and inspected the rear diff (it is perfect). Not sure where else this noise could be coming from. Hoping these new heims, removing tall of that play around the wheels will make it go away.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok guys, just a quick update and it will be slightly anticlimactic. I finally got new heim joints in from highlifter for the lower arms. There was A LOT of wiggle in both rear wheels, even after replacing the wheel bearings. Traced it to the heim joint on the lower arms on both sides. After calling highlifter and ordering new ones, they sent me the wrong heims at first, they were for the connecting rod (radius rod-esque). So waited another week to get the right ones. Got them and installed and it took away all play in the wheels while up on jack stands. In the mean time, I removed the front drive shaft, somehow the stupid thing had a slight bow in it. Maybe unrelated, but figured I had it up on stands for over a week, may as well replace it. Ordered a new OEM front shaft it isn't in yet. So, I am currently unable, or maybe it is unwilling, to test because I have the front differential detached from the frame. Figured I would wait it out until Partzilla sends the front prop shaft. While I was waiting decided to replace all coolant with a flush and refill. Also ripped the valve covers off and adjusted all the valves which were all just ever soo slightly out of spec. Now, just twiddling my thumbs until this front prop shaft arrives. Then I can test it out and see where it may lead me next.

At this point I have 4 new axles, 4 new wheel bearings, new brakes, 2 new rear knuckles, the new heim joints, I have removed and inspected the rear diff (it is perfect). Not sure where else this noise could be coming from. Hoping these new heims, removing tall of that play around the wheels will make it go away.

Thanks everyone.
My money is on the Heim Joints 100%.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts