Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Maverick XMR. I have attached a photo. It has a small lift and runs 32" Carnivores. When turning, the rear end gives a wonderful popping noise or clunk, sounds bad. We have already taken the rear diff out and opened it up, it was in great shape. It now has new axles, bearings and bushings all the way around. Just trying to get some help, this is a frustrating one!!! Thank you all for checking it out. I am attaching a link to a video of the noise that I can recreate in neutral with the front wheels turned.

Thanks again!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
548 Posts
Safe to say you haven't been able narrow down a more specific area the sound is coming from? Driveshafts straight and Ujoints free and lubed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive shaft is straight, U Joints in rear look to be in great shape and are lubed. I almost feel like I can see axle pop a little when sound occurs. But, could be figment of my imagination. I do have a bit of an issue at moment with don't drive shaft, doesn't seem like it spins perfectly circular. Not sure if that could cause noise where this seems to be coming from.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How are the CV angles? are they at a more severe angle than stock? do the axles plunge when pulled in and out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are the CV angles? are they at a more severe angle than stock? do the axles plunge when pulled in and out?
I Do feel like the axles are at quite an angle. This is how the machine was when I purchased it. I did not put the lift on the machine. I feel like I did not hear these noises when the machine was purchased.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,779 Posts
Drive shaft is straight, U Joints in rear look to be in great shape and are lubed. I almost feel like I can see axle pop a little when sound occurs. But, could be figment of my imagination. I do have a bit of an issue at moment with don't drive shaft, doesn't seem like it spins perfectly circular. Not sure if that could cause noise where this seems to be coming from.
Instead of looking for "axel pop" put a hand on it and feel for it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What is the ride height at currently? what is the factory spec? Also keep in mind if you have lager thatn OEM tires it will effect the measurements.. Sound to me like you have TOO MUCH CV ANGLE and are binding the CV's... You have a angle finder gauge?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the ride height at currently? what is the factory spec? Also keep in mind if you have lager thatn OEM tires it will effect the measurements.. Sound to me like you have TOO MUCH CV ANGLE and are binding the CV's... You have a angle finder gauge?
I will do some measuring and see what kind of info I can get. I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With machine sitting still I jerked on axles to try to get them to move, no movement. Do I need to test this another way? Tried to get some good pictures of the rearend but that it tough.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
388 Posts
The angle looks pretty severe but I am not very familure with that model. Measure out the ride height, will give us a better idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you jack up the rear of the car (by the frame) do the tires droop anymore (shocks extend further) when jacked up? measure the total shock length when sitting on level ground and when the rear tires are off the ground

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They definitely drop a considerable amount more. Whenever I first start to Jack the machine up, it takes a considerable number of pumps before the machine actually lift the tires off the ground.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ok that is a good sign... do you have any friends that do fabrication work? if so maybe you could buy or barrow an angel finder gauge... this will give you an ACCURATE amount of degress the CV's and axles are currently at. If the angle is too severe it will cause all kinds of issues along with wearing the CVs out very quickly.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
ok that is a good sign... do you have any friends that do fabrication work? if so maybe you could buy or barrow an angel finder gauge... this will give you an ACCURATE amount of degress the CV's and axles are currently at. If the angle is too severe it will cause all kinds of issues along with wearing the CVs out very quickly.
there is zero issue with your OG ride height , it’s not anywhere close to a severe angle . There are thousands of owners that have super high jacked up OG’s . Forget measuring ride height , it’s meaningless with your larger tires and it’s obviously where you want it .

What axles are you running ? Oem ?
hold each axel while someone pushes it and see it one is pooping . Does it continuously make the noise if you kept pushing it or is it just one on movement ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
if you jack up the rear of the car (by the frame) do the tires droop anymore (shocks extend further) when jacked up? measure the total shock length when sitting on level ground and when the rear tires are off the ground
Of course they do ! You can see how much shock shaft is exposed , he has a lot more travel . Probably another foot of travel before the axle cv’s even start to bind . His issue isn’t ride height or angle . All OG mavericks clunk hard in the rear at takeoff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
there is zero issue with your OG ride height , it’s not anywhere close to a severe angle . There are thousands of owners that have super high jacked up OG’s . Forget measuring ride height , it’s meaningless with your larger tires and it’s obviously where you want it .

What axles are you running ? Oem ?
hold each axel while someone pushes it and see it one is pooping . Does it continuously make the noise if you kept pushing it or is it just one on movement ?
I got Eastlake axles. I have copied the link below. I am on my way home and have a buddy coming up is going to help me see if we can feel the noise and one end of the axle or other as we push it or pull it back and forth. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098GKVDG...abc_ET9VZTD2866K0Q1KDAKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 60 Posts