Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Stay away from Elka. They are a nightmare to get valved correctly. Plus, they are notorious for leaking.

Reactions: AReed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the advice on elka shocks I read somewhere else something about elkas were notorius for leaking

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Shock Therapy offers an upgrade for your shocks.. I would give them a call first before going out and spending $$ on new shocks.. The IBP shocks from CanAm do look nice but I would buy them from someone that would valve and set them up for you..
Okay I have the base maverick X3 and want to upgrade shocks I am tired of only have 1 adjustment soft medium and firm. i see that can am has released a shock set for the 64" models. also looking at elka stage 5. i want the best ride i can get any suggestions thanks in advance. Can Am ATV Fox? High-Performance 2.5 / 3 Bypass Shock Kit - Maverick X3

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Is there not enough adjustability with just the three settings? I thought about buying the base model just for the simplicity. Hardly ever adjust the shocks on my 16 XRS because of the complexity of them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had Shock Therapy set up my DS also. As far a shock to use.... One word.... Fox!

·
Vendor
630 Posts
going to long travel and need the longer shocks off the RS
this is your deal!
I have customers with x3DS shocks also because they are going to long travel.
Work a deal with firefly!
Also have x3rs stock long travel shocks. Customers switching to Walker evans or Kings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok just some FYI for base model x3 owners. I did some tuning on my shocks raised it to 15" ground clearance set the front crossover 1" above the rubber and the rear 1.5" rides 10 times smoother. I would still like to go with the better shocks from ds or rs. What is the advantage of going with rs shocks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You keep your front sway bar connected? All the low speed harshness gone?
I still have the sway bar connected. Mainly due to the racing I do. Fast trails, some dune whoops etc... I've not really had any "low speed" harshness. I did have some high speed, which seems to be a lot less after the re-valve. I'm having a little more high speed damping taken out. The sway bar noise is almost non-exitent now. Still working on it to get it were I want it for my style of racing (which tends to be wide open all the time).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok just some FYI for base model x3 owners. I did some tuning on my shocks raised it to 15" ground clearance set the front crossover 1" above the rubber and the rear 1.5" rides 10 times smoother. I would still like to go with the better shocks from ds or rs. What is the advantage of going with rs shocks.
Longer shocks/longer travel. However, I think it was mentioned somewhere on the forum, you may not be able to use RS shocks on Basic/DS cars. I'm sure someone will correct me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I remember the details correctly, because the shock is so much longer, the RS has a different "A" arm for the longer travel. Same goes for the rear trailing arm. Trying to use a longer shock will take the suspension components to far out of range. Again I don't remember all the details as to why you shouldn't use RS shocks. I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That means you're engaging the main spring awfully quick. What does your overall width measure out to with those new wheels? Also have base.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
68" wide with those wheels they are +10 offset.
Looking for any feedback on adjusting shocks for the base model.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts