Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
333 Posts
It is so easy to replace the cat and muffler by fabricating your own straight pipe and installing a SuperTrapp muffler/spark arrestor on the end it's hard to believe folks are paying for way overpriced cat-delet systems. And the SuperTrapp can be tuned by inserting or removing the discs that six little 10-32 screws hold in place. More flow or less sound, adjust as you see fit. Summit Racing has everything you need to roll your own. Can't weld -- no problem, there are shops all over the country that can help with that for far less than buying an expensive system. Muffler shop, weld shop, machine shop, race fabricator -- look in the Yellow Pages.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Did you get the rpm clamp for the midpipe or does the stock clamp work just fine? Wondering if its worth the extra 20 bucks
I also did the RPM midpipe, and I bought/installed their replacement clamp (in case I f'd up the stock one during disassembly). I think you can use the stock clamp fine assuming it comes off well, but the RPM is much beefier/solid.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
FYI I used the RPM clamp it was beefier and less hassle with the OEM heat shield on there. BUT…..the locknut they use has a nylon insert that WILL melt. I replaced it with a double stainless nut after it melted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are you guys leaving the heatshields on or leaving them off? Im talking about the one that wraps around the pipe. Not the big one that protects it from frame/bed that you see closest to muffler. Also, is rpm 2.5 or evo mid pipe better? Got a 400 dollar check from a job i was on a few years back outta nowhere so its basically free.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you guys leaving the heatshields on or leaving them off? Im talking about the one that wraps around the pipe. Not the big one that protects it from frame/bed that you see closest to muffler. Also said:
RPM 2.5” mid pipe uses all the stock heat shielding around the pipe an mounting points. 3.0” needs heat shields to modified.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just installed the EVO shocker pipe, thing is loud when you open it. The bed area is significantly cooler and it I personally like the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
After I removed the cat and had a stainless pipe welded in I wrapped it with header wrap and left the OEM heat shields in place. There was a major difference in heat back there and although you can hear the turbo spool up a little more, the exhaust noise was unaffected in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If all you are worried about is heat just wrap it. I did a 3" e cut out because the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't notice any more power but could hear the turbo more. I needed it for my tune and shitty 91 and ride at 5.6k about sea level. I also plan on getting a bigger turbo down the line so that's why I did it. If you want lower temps more noise and no noticeable power difference then spend the few hundred. If you are worried about heat then wrap it and save that cash for springs or something that you can actually feel. Anyone telling you they can feel 2,3,4,5 hp difference is lying to you.
If all you are worried about is heat just wrap it. I did a 3" e cut out because the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't notice any more power but could hear the turbo more. I needed it for my tune and shitty 91 and ride at 5.6k about sea level. I also plan on getting a bigger turbo down the line so that's why I did it. If you want lower temps more noise and no noticeable power difference then spend the few hundred. If you are worried about heat then wrap it and save that cash for springs or something that you can actually feel. Anyone telling you they can feel 2,3,4,5 hp difference is lying to you.
No one on believes that 3 to 5 horsepower is something you immediately feel. Sounds like you thought you would instantly feel the difference by saying you didn’t . It’s the compounded effect of adding 5 hp in several different areas that we are looking to achieve . Grab 5 extra hp 4 times and it makes a difference . The heat difference in removing the cat will be more than simply wrapping the exhaust . If you hear the turbo more it’s because it’s moving more freely and that’s a good thing . Cats are very restrictive and it’s more than worth removing them . I always wrap my catless pipes , it keeps the heat down and speeds up the exhaust flow

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ride allot of tight trails and hills/logging roads. Always on new terrain. Question is…how hot do these machines get with the cat installed. Is it ever an issue? Is it worth it to buy a bypass pipe? Also is tuning needed to delete cat?
The machines come from the factory factoring in the heat with the cat installed. However, by removing the cat you take the exhaust constriction away. The benefits you get by removing the cat is increase in power because the cat creates a source of back-pressure on the engine in order to slow the release of gasses and gettign them through the series of screens. Removing allows the gasses to travel faster through the system which allows the engine better perform. In addition the constriction does create the engine/system to run at a higher tempature. Again; eliminating the cat/constriction the engine and system runs cooler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ride allot of tight trails and hills/logging roads. Always on new terrain. Question is…how hot do these machines get with the cat installed. Is it ever an issue? Is it worth it to buy a bypass pipe? Also is tuning needed to delete cat?
I modified stock mid pipe. Here in California you might piss someone off if it is obvious there is no cat. A state park may even keep you out. Who knows. Just a conversation I prefer not to have.
the one down side of course is it runs stinky. Especially running in your garage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best tool to remove the inner core? Someone on YouTube said to use a wood bit. I did this on my OG Mav and LOVED the sound.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No one on believes that 3 to 5 horsepower is something you immediately feel. Sounds like you thought you would instantly feel the difference by saying you didn’t . It’s the compounded effect of adding 5 hp in several different areas that we are looking to achieve . Grab 5 extra hp 4 times and it makes a difference . The heat difference in removing the cat will be more than simply wrapping the exhaust . If you hear the turbo more it’s because it’s moving more freely and that’s a good thing . Cats are very restrictive and it’s more than worth removing them . I always wrap my catless pipes , it keeps the heat down and speeds up the exhaust flow
Read the forum there are multiple people that they say the feel a difference. I call b.s. even when I got a tune sure it felt a little better but nothing more. I use a draggy so I know exactly what difference what makes. Oh course everyone is different and in one of .y cars with bolt ons I didn't feel much until I added a blower then I was like finally.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Read the forum there are multiple people that they say the feel a difference. I call b.s. even when I got a tune sure it felt a little better but nothing more. I use a draggy so I know exactly what difference what makes. Oh course everyone is different and in one of .y cars with bolt ons I didn't feel much until I added a blower then I was like finally.
You added a blower (supercharger) to an already turbo'd X3? What?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lol no to another car I have. I was just giving an example that butt dynos don't work
Maybe your butt dyno is broken and needs to be recalibrated. Lol. Gutting the cat was one of the first things I did on my car. Now if it only gained me 1hp that's 1 more I didn't have before. It also makes less heat that is right under your intercooler. Win win in my book.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
912 Posts
What I've learned from this site is after spending $30k+ on a toy you shouldn't spend a dime on it or you're wasting your money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What I've learned from this site is after spending $30k+ on a toy you shouldn't spend a dime on it or you're wasting your money.
Then you shouldn't spend 30k+ on a toy Or you're wasting your money. You have a grim outlook on life. I go to work every single day to make money to buy things I wanna have fun with. It's better than pouring alcohol down your throat just to piss it out and waste the money.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Then you shouldn't spend 30k+ on a toy Or you're wasting your money. You have a grim outlook on life. I go to work every single day to make money to buy things I wanna have fun with. It's better than pouring alcohol down your throat just to piss it out and waste the money.
I know guys that spend 600-800 a month on alcohol and cigarettes but call me crazy bc i ordered a 300 dollar part for my sxs😂😂😂😂

21 - 40 of 43 Posts