Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride allot of tight trails and hills/logging roads. Always on new terrain. Question is…how hot do these machines get with the cat installed. Is it ever an issue? Is it worth it to buy a bypass pipe? Also is tuning needed to delete cat?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
IMO a cat delete is worth it. The under bed temperatures will be lowered greatly and the turbo breathes better. There was a few YouTube videos showing very modest gains in HP as well from 2018. No tune is needed if you delete the cat. The ECU is more than capable of maintaining the proper EFR without the cat.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO a cat delete is worth it. The under bed temperatures will be lowered greatly and the turbo breathes better. There was a few YouTube videos showing very modest gains in HP as well from 2018. No tune is needed if you delete the cat. The ECU is more than capable of maintaining the proper EFR without the cat.
Awesome i am going to order my cat delete pipe tonight. What does everyone reccomend?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I chose to have my OEM pipe modified. Just about any decent welder who has TIG can weld in a stainless section or you can just gut the OEM pipe. There is a YouTube video on how to do it. This way you can save a few bucks for other goodies later.

·
Registered
220 Posts
They get rid heat, and allow the turbo to spool faster. Are they needed no, is there a benefit yes. No tune needed to run a mid pipe with the factory muffler. You have a ton of options on deleting it, dill it out, cut it out if keeping the factory pipe. Or get an aftermarket pipe. Another thing to consider if going aftermarket is picking up an electric dump valve. Then you have a delete with a mid to wild switch for sound. If going aftermarket, wait for a sale. No need to pay retail for these.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Catless is the way to go, no tune needed

·
Registered
82 Posts
If all you are worried about is heat just wrap it. I did a 3" e cut out because the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't notice any more power but could hear the turbo more. I needed it for my tune and shitty 91 and ride at 5.6k about sea level. I also plan on getting a bigger turbo down the line so that's why I did it. If you want lower temps more noise and no noticeable power difference then spend the few hundred. If you are worried about heat then wrap it and save that cash for springs or something that you can actually feel. Anyone telling you they can feel 2,3,4,5 hp difference is lying to you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If all you are worried about is heat just wrap it. I did a 3" e cut out because the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't notice any more power but could hear the turbo more. I needed it for my tune and shitty 91 and ride at 5.6k about sea level. I also plan on getting a bigger turbo down the line so that's why I did it. If you want lower temps more noise and no noticeable power difference then spend the few hundred. If you are worried about heat then wrap it and save that cash for springs or something that you can actually feel. Anyone telling you they can feel 2,3,4,5 hp difference is lying to you.
I do not want my machine any louder, i just want allot cooler temps. I am probably going to gut the stock cat and leave it alone. I want to maintain the same sound level. I try to keep all my machines stock sound level so it doesn't affect riding areas.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Only reason I want to do it is for heat control, but never thought to just wrap it. Ordered some titanium header wrap, will let ya know how it works.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went with the RPM 2.5” mid pipe. Good quality, consistent size all the way through, uses all the stock mounting and heat shielding with no modifications and a reasonable price in my opinion. Also went with a slip on system. In hindsight I would have done one of the electronic dump valve mid pipes to the stock muffler for the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with the RPM 2.5” mid pipe. Good quality, consistent size all the way through, uses all the stock mounting and heat shielding with no modifications and a reasonable price in my opinion. Also went with a slip on system. In hindsight I would have done one of the electronic dump valve mid pipes to the stock muffler for the best of both worlds.
Did you get the rpm clamp for the midpipe or does the stock clamp work just fine? Wondering if its worth the extra 20 bucks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts