Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give my first thoughts on this.
Rode at a buddys house, lots of trails and steep hills.

I put the Mav through its paces, admittedly not very gental on it.
I love this thing.

Pro's, much better suspension than the 900 PO PO's I was riding with.
More ground clearance.
I was able to climb hills much easier, without bottoming out when cresting the hill. We were climbing some vertical stuff, 20-30' height any where from 50 degrees to 80 degrees.
Definitely has more power.
I wasn't nearly as worried about it breaking.
My buddies on the PO's were always, well I have to be careful doing this or that, that'll break an axle, ball joint etc.
Mav Fit and finish much better.
Shifting selection easier in the mav, at least from a standpoint of which gear you are in, The polaris shifts very well but you almost have to look at the dash to make sure you are in the gear you want.

Cons, yes there were some.
1 wheel wonder, It would kick the other front in but when it did it was too late. I truly believe the 4wd on the PO's is better.
higher center of gravity, Po's slide around without 2 wheeling as much. But I did have the power to nail it and slide it out of this issue.
Steering much stiffer. PO's steering is much much easier, but it has more of a tendency to rip the steering out of your fingers.
It needs much better fender coverage! Eating dirt and mud all day.
Does feel heavy when ripping through the trails, but manageable.
Clutching is lacking, the Po's clutch is far superior in my opinion

My overall opinion is these are 2 total different approaches.
The Maverick seems to be way more refined, softer riding, just an overall better feeling, to me, machine.
The polaris, reminds me of a oversized go cart,or golf cart on steroids, ( very sparse inside), but it does several things very well.I drove both the polaris and my Maverick for a couple of hours, swapped out with my buddy. He agreed on the above as well.

I believe I have chosen wisely in my opinion.
He believes he has chosen wisely in his opinion.

Reactions: HandyManDan

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah, That about right. You're screwed on the front end unless you want to upgrade to a QE front end, but once you get used to having to floor it to make it kick in it will be ok. Some people on here will tell you that it only takes 7-10 revolution for the visco-lock to kick in, but some people voted for Obama and still believe in Santa Clause. On another note, Get an Aftermarket clutch and you will fall in love all over again. Glad your happy.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Buy the 14 XRS and you will solve all your complaints =) THE DPS power steering is GREAT. Clutching feels fine to me and 4wd kicks in right away.. Love this machine.. I cant tell you how many times I have to slow down and wait for my buddies on there po pos

Reactions: HandyManDan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish, just bought this 2013 ors. I did order a power steering kit already. Buying stuff for these is just as pricy as parts for harley Davidson.
As for the front end mine does kick in fairly quick, about 4-6 turns, but in a very technical situation where inches are needed, the front doesn't get it done. I do agree that nailing it does work, sometimes its just not practical. I have read up major on the clutches and aftermarket seems to be the true fix. $1800 for something that should be right from the factory, well….. just sucks.
A better front bumper is needed as well, for helping out my pals on the PO PO's, had to let them lead it was their property. But they need a nudge every now and then.
PS- sport low for all of you who don't have it, you don't know what your missing!!!! Its a completely different machine with that mod. Violent power!!!! Just love it!!! THX WC!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Shoot this is more expensive than my harley davidson. It rediculous but addicting so i dont care. You only live once and cant take the benjamins with you when u die.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I was going to say, compare it to 2014 xrs dps, with qe2 and power 3 level steering, better clutching, or at least resolved issues from 13, you will be 100% amazed at the changes, the 2 are like night and day differences.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sounds like you presented a fair and accurate assessment between the two.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My one true fear I had when purchasing my can am was that visco lok front end coming from a teryx with selectabe lock but the we visco works great for me. Coupled with the DPS it works great

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Shoot this is more expensive than my harley davidson. It rediculous but addicting so i dont care. You only live once and cant take the benjamins with you when u die.
Neither the Mav, or the HD are ever truely done...My wife asked me once, when I was going to be done adding stuff to the Harley. I told her it would never be done...there is always something to put on, change, or add. The Mav is no different

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Neither the Mav, or the HD are ever truely done...My wife asked me once, when I was going to be done adding stuff to the Harley. I told her it would never be done...there is always something to put on, change, or add. The Mav is no different
Nice scooter I like the color.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
HD custom color, called Tombstone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We were climbing some vertical stuff, 20-30' height any where from 50 degrees to 80 degrees.

I'd love to see some video of you or anyone climbing a 20-30+ ft. hill that's 80 degrees! I've done 40' & 60' hills at 80 degrees and a couple straight up 90 degree hills on my dirt bike over the years, but i've never seen anyone do anything much over about 15 ft. in a side by side that was at an 80-90 degree hill climb. At those angles and height you've got to have some serious momentum, because if your machine bogs down or slows at all you're going to be in a bad tumble or free fall to the bottom at an 80-90 degree hill climb! Here's a nice video of some guys doing an 80 degree 20' hill on dirt bikes for reference :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try to get some video the next go round. Yes the key to success was speed! Great videos! Trust me my jaw dropped when I saw my bud's hitting the bigger hills. Common sense/ fear or not enough liquid courage, kept me from the bigger ones. Some of these they hit would have made most butts crack diamonds!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts