Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oddy why don't u drive both, do they dealerships up there not have tracks to test the toys out. The test drive weigh heavily on my decision. U can ck out the turning radius, articulation, power, and how well they handle. U already know what they look like. But it sounds like u need to drive them both. That might help narrow down your decision

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes you can drill out the steering and tighten it. But it gives you a weak point because if you look at the modification it is not in the hardened part they are drilling. Sure, people are getting away with it...but eventually it's going to break on someone and it will not be good. And then you get other things rubbing because they are not designed to turn that sharply. Look before you leap my friend. I considered doing it myself to my wildcat because the turning radius is incredibly bad. Just not doing it the way people are hacking it up. If someone releases a proper fix? Sure, I would have done that. But no one has yet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Our dealer has test days every couple months, I'm sure if you go in and explain your gonna buy one you just need to drive them both, they will figure something out. I personally like the cockpit and feel of the maverick over the cat but that has a lot to do with me,my size, what I'm using the bike for,what I'm looking for in a bike, you should really just buy them both.....lol

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
If you are a trail rider than I would at least be looking at the 2014 Maverick for comparision puposes. It comes with power steering and the quick engage front diff. If I were strickly a trail rider I would not get a machine without power steering.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I hope you threw this out there on the wildcat forums too. Obviously we had our reasons for buying the Mav

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yea Max is rite, u gotta put this up on the other teams forum too!!

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
He has it up on the wildcat forum as well.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oddy why don't u drive both, do they dealerships up there not have tracks to test the toys out. The test drive weigh heavily on my decision. U can ck out the turning radius, articulation, power, and how well they handle. U already know what they look like. But it sounds like u need to drive them both. That might help narrow down your decision
Unfortunatly the closest dealers to me use an asphalt parking lot for testing. Even a shopping cart will be smooth on that lol.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If you are a trail rider than I would at least be looking at the 2014 Maverick for comparision puposes. It comes with power steering and the quick engage front diff. If I were strickly a trail rider I would not get a machine without power steering.
One of the things that is driving all of this is the pricing on the Wildcat right now. An out of state dealer I am working with is giving me a really good price and once his stock is gone the pricing goes back up to typical retail range. The pricing is much better than I am seeing on a Maverick that does not have EPS or a QE. It's a tough decision. If I do not make a deal today , my buddy and I are going to switch his Maverick for my LT Commander for a few hours tomorrow. That will at least give me the opportunity to drive it on the terrain I typically drive the commander on. My other buddies Wildcat is broke down waiting on a drive shaft part, so I can not drive his as planned this weekend.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yea I am looking at them. Unfortunatly they are going to be in the retail price range. I am trying to keep my cost down as I already have 25K invested into one SxS!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes you can drill out the steering and tighten it. But it gives you a weak point because if you look at the modification it is not in the hardened part they are drilling. Sure, people are getting away with it...but eventually it's going to break on someone and it will not be good. And then you get other things rubbing because they are not designed to turn that sharply. Look before you leap my friend. I considered doing it myself to my wildcat because the turning radius is incredibly bad. Just not doing it the way people are hacking it up. If someone releases a proper fix? Sure, I would have done that. But no one has yet.
The real fix for it is to replace the knuckles with the ones off of the new 4 seater as it already has the tighter steering built into the spindle. It also gives you the larger rotors and 2 Piston calipers. You can get a kit for around 650 bucks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
One of the things that is driving all of this is the pricing on the Wildcat right now. An out of state dealer I am working with is giving me a really good price and once his stock is gone the pricing goes back up to typical retail range. The pricing is much better than I am seeing on a Maverick that does not have EPS or a QE. It's a tough decision. If I do not make a deal today , my buddy and I are going to switch his Maverick for my LT Commander for a few hours tomorrow. That will at least give me the opportunity to drive it on the terrain I typically drive the commander on. My other buddies Wildcat is broke down waiting on a drive shaft part, so I can not drive his as planned this weekend.
Key words..... Broke down

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Get what, that the wildcat like all the other manufactures have issues? What's not to get? Have you owned a Wildcat and had major problems with it. I really do want good feedback here, not just tunnel vision response's with no empirical data to back it up. My only experience with the Wildcat is my buddies and 90% of the things that broke was his fault. He climbs stupid crazy hills and the occasional tree with bad results. He beats the crap out of the machine and finally after 2 years he broke a belt. He has had no issues with the motor or trans. The part he is waiting for is for one of the drive shafts that as it turns out has been an ongoing issue for the Wildcat. You know kinda like the Can am clutch saga or maybe the broken axels or tie rods or spindles or steering "U" joints or maybe even needing to have a frame swapped out due to "A" arm mounts welded in the wrong locations or maybe the POS steering rack and/or mounting bracket , you get the picture! For the record all of these things happened to my Commander and many others! And yet I keep it running and moving forward because it is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
I would at least drive your friends Maverick in the trails you ride. I would not worry about the deals on the Wildcat. They will still be there in a few weeks. I guarantee you if the dealer you are worknig with still has the Wildcat in a week or two you will get the same deal. In fact the deals might get better on both the Maverick and Wildcat as the new Rzr1000 will be announced and both companies might offer inncentives to get sales.

Bottom line I would rather pay a few hundred more and be satisfied with my decision, then worry about a spectacular deal and end up not liking the machine.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Your missing the point here. I do not want to have to spend another 5k in suspension to get a good ride, been there done that!
u can get a 2013 maverick 12,999 plus 5k suspension kit and still have 10x the machine a wildcat will ever be ! and be cheaper to

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I would at least drive your friends Maverick in the trails you ride. I would not worry about the deals on the Wildcat. They will still be there in a few weeks. I guarantee you if the dealer you are worknig with still has the Wildcat in a week or two you will get the same deal. In fact the deals might get better on both the Maverick and Wildcat as the new Rzr1000 will be announced and both companies might offer inncentives to get sales.

Bottom line I would rather pay a few hundred more and be satisfied with my decision, then worry about a spectacular deal and end up not liking the machine.

I could not agree more. That's the plan for the weekend. I do not want yelloe or black again so I am looking at the 2014s as they have better color options and fetures than the 2013. The best price I can get on the 2014 XRS DPS is $19900.00 OTD that will give me the same features as the Wildcat "X". I can get a Wildcat limited for $15,400.00 OTD or the "X" for $17,800.00 OTD including any fees and tax. So we are not talking a few hundred here, more like a few thousand. If it was my first SxS purchase it would not be a big deal however investing near 45K into two of them is well you know! I do have a Wife unit to contend with and unlike the leverage I had with the dump bed for garden use on the Commander I have none lol. Even convincing her we would both have one to drive is not working well enough either lol.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts