Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wildcat steering sucks......it's a two handed deal. Power wise good, suspension good......did I mention the steering sucks?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It will be a nice car, but it will have its issues as well.
It seems like they all have some weakness'

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you're seriously looking at different options then you should wait a little longer for this new Razr 1000 to come out. Then you'll have one more to compare. As far as suspension goes, all stock suspension can and should be done better. Who is the moron who sets up SXS shocks anyhow. Do they even test the shocks on the car or just design the valving on paper and ship it? So what you're stuck with is if you want the best ride you can get then you have to pay some extra. At least with the mav you don't have to go long travel like you did with your commander. And I see AReed offers his revalve without springs for around $500 plus shipping. Far from the $1500 the OP stated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you're seriously looking at different options then you should wait a little longer for this new Razr 1000 to come out. Then you'll have one more to compare. As far as suspension goes, all stock suspension can and should be done better. Who is the moron who sets up SXS shocks anyhow. Do they even test the shocks on the car or just design the valving on paper and ship it? So what you're stuck with is if you want the best ride you can get then you have to pay some extra. At least with the mav you don't have to go long travel like you did with your commander. And I see AReed offers his revalve without springs for around $500 plus shipping. Far from the $1500 the OP stated.
If your going to have the shocks redone why stop at the valving? Dual rate springs are so much better than single rate. If your going to do it, then do it right.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yea so does the POS can am clutch system! Not to mention some are blowing apart and mounting bolts are sheering etc. For the record I am not talking about the two machines from a bashing standpoint as I already have the Commander with all of the issues I have had with it. All these machines have their issues. I am trying to determine witche one to buy for my next toy based on the ride as I am approaching 60 years old and want to stop being thrown around in a SxS. I do not have this issue with my Woodsbuggy and would prefer not to have the issues with a 20,000 dollar SxS!
I'll disagree with you Ody on the belt blowing issue. We have seen a few, but not an epidemic. Some, including myself abused the belts right from the start. I pounded mine hard for 750 miles befor it let go...self induced. Ride em hard...thats what happens.

As to your question Mav vs Wildcat. I drove an X out in the dunes, and hammered on it pretty good. The throttle responce was good, but I felt like the Mav was a bit peppier. I hit some whoops at about 60 mph and was impressed with the way the X soaked them up. I've hit the same whoops in my Mav at the same speed. I had to lock my elbows and pin myself in the seat so I didn't get bucked out of the car. As far as ergonomics...Mav, X can't touch it. All in all I thought both the X and the Mav were comparable. I think the Mav has the edge in power, and fit and finsh. Suspension wise, Can Am should have taken a few notes, and studied a little harder. X all the way on ride comfort.JMHO

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
get the long travel kit for the maverick and have 18'' of travel and fit n finish and TQ

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
You guys crack me up! what you read on the forums about issues (belts and clutches) seems worse because it is mostly the only topics posted on each forum. I remember many threads on this forum regarding clutch issues, which ended up with CanAm comng up with a fix. I witnessed the destruction of the bolt backing out. In the grand scheme of thisn, the forums are small sample to take from. I you read any forum and look at the topics you would think every brand is a POS.

My take is buy the machine that best fits your comfort and riding style. Both are a blast to drive and both are very fast. Suspension the wildcat wins. Overall comfort of seating area it is a toss up. CanAm gets the edge in ergonomics. Power between the X and Maverick is comparable in stock form. You can not go wrong with either machine.

Good luck!

Reactions: Wweverett

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The motor issues have been taken care of? What is that based on? A solid 3.5 months of them being out with actually very few sold and not many of those few sold with even 500 miles on them yet?

I would hardly consider that a proven track record since the history of this 1000 H2 motor and trans being junk dates back to 2008.
This would be my opinion also. I don't think the motors in the Wildcats will still be running in five years.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You guys crack me up! what you read on the forums about issues (belts and clutches) seems worse because it is mostly the only topics posted on each forum. I remember many threads on this forum regarding clutch issues, which ended up with CanAm comng up with a fix. I witnessed the destruction of the bolt backing out. In the grand scheme of thisn, the forums are small sample to take from. I you read any forum and look at the topics you would think every brand is a POS.

My take is buy the machine that best fits your comfort and riding style. Both are a blast to drive and both are very fast. Suspension the wildcat wins. Overall comfort of seating area it is a toss up. CanAm gets the edge in ergonomics. Power between the X and Maverick is comparable in stock form. You can not go wrong with either machine.

Good luck!
what kind of sxs do u have sandy shark?

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
I'm still rocking a rhino for now. I will be upgrading soon. Just waiting to see the new rzr1000 and then will make up my mind.

Also can't decide between a 4 seat or 2 seat. As the wifey has not been riding and it is usually me and my son I'm leaning toward a 2 seater.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm still rocking a rhino for now. I will be upgrading soon. Just waiting to see the new rzr1000 and then will make up my mind.

Also can't decide between a 4 seat or 2 seat. As the wifey has not been riding and it is usually me and my son I'm leaning toward a 2 seater.
right on , ya I didn't know if u had rhino still or something new, but ya wait till the rzr is out for a few months, lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
get the long travel kit for the maverick and have 18'' of travel and fit n finish and TQ
Your missing the point here. I do not want to have to spend another 5k in suspension to get a good ride, been there done that!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll disagree with you Ody on the belt blowing issue. We have seen a few, but not an epidemic. Some, including myself abused the belts right from the start. I pounded mine hard for 750 miles befor it let go...self induced. Ride em hard...thats what happens.

As to your question Mav vs Wildcat. I drove an X out in the dunes, and hammered on it pretty good. The throttle responce was good, but I felt like the Mav was a bit peppier. I hit some whoops at about 60 mph and was impressed with the way the X soaked them up. I've hit the same whoops in my Mav at the same speed. I had to lock my elbows and pin myself in the seat so I didn't get bucked out of the car. As far as ergonomics...Mav, X can't touch it. All in all I thought both the X and the Mav were comparable. I think the Mav has the edge in power, and fit and finsh. Suspension wise, Can Am should have taken a few notes, and studied a little harder. X all the way on ride comfort.JMHO
Thank You. This is the kind of info I am looking for, an unbiased seat of the pants review.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Good luck!
Another unbiased opinion. Thank you

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ody, it kinda sounds like ur mind was already made up from the beginning.. Sounds like u want the cat to me!!! I wish I had them both

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No actually I am still on the fence as I do prefer the drive train and ergonomics of the Can am over the Wildcat. What I like about the Wildcat is the suspension, lower center of gravity , longer wheelbase and a real lockable front diff. It is much closer to a Woodsbuggy style machine that I am accustomed to. There are some really good deals to be had for the 2013 1/2 Wildcat's and the 2013 Maverick's however the Wildcat comes standard with power steering and a different color than black or yellow, so it too is a deciding factor. Yea I can add it to the Mav, just not interested in starting all over with the mod thing. Already been there with the Commander.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Alright, I'll chime in. I traded a 12 Wildcat in for the 13 XRS. Granted new engine and clutch in the cat now, so it is more on par with the Maverick power. Comparing to a Rzr 900 the suspension was amazing. If there were bumps I'd dust him even with just 77 HP. It is stable for sure, the longer wheelbase was impressive. HOWEVER...the Maverick handles in corners just as well as the Wildcat. The Maverick has a much better cockpit, more room, and much more comfortable. I was banging my knees constantly in the Wildcat. The turning radius on the Wildcat is horrendous, and because of it the Maverick is far more maneuverable. They run really close now speed wise. But really, when you are on the trail how often are you running wide open? How often does a split second or 2 difference in acceleration make or break your ride? It doesn't. So for me it's about ergonomics. The Maverick is a better fit for me, I like the cockpit better. Which is better for you?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Honestly I do not like the Wildcat cockpit at all. It is very plain just like the RZR. I will say it will have less heat in the cockpit with the engine in the back. The other thing I do not like about the Wildcat it is how muddy you get as the fenders on it do not do anything to keep it off of you. I really did like that about my Commander as it keeps me fairly dry in the mud even with the long travel placing the wheels out farther. I am a trail rider so top speed is of no concern for me however turning radius is. It is my understanding that you can simply redrill the spindle flags on the wildcat to relocate the tie rods to take care of that. Makes sense as by moving them inboard will give you more arc on the wheels. Not sure what it does to the ackerman however. You can also just replace the spindles with the ones on the 4 seater and get better brakes as a bonus as it apparently already has the tighter steering radius built into the spindles. But there goes that cost on top of the purchase price.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts