Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am looking for completly subjective experiences here. A little history first. When I first started looking into the SxSs the Wildcat and the Maverick were not out so the Commander was IMHO was the only alternative. So now I currently own a 2011 Can Am Commaner "X" that I have dumped tons of cash into to improve the ride, including LT w/Stage 4 Elka shocks. Tryed different spring setups etc and I still am not happy with the ride. It still throws you around way too much. So along came the Maverick and I was going to go that route however in it's stock form it needs re sprung and re valved just to make the ride better. If I had it done the cost would be around $1500.00 to add on top of the purchase price. And of cource I would want power steering and the QE front diff. So then I discovered the Wildcat now comes with the TEAM CVT and the "X" model and rekindled my interest in this SxS. So that being said who has driven both the Maverick and the 13 1/2 Wildcat, please offer your thoughts. We all know there are pros and cons to both machines so again be subjective. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I can tell u that the ride isn't comparable in the maverick. I to had a commander and it did throw u around a lot. The maverick will do it too but only extremely off camber situations at slow speeds. I would say that the wildcat has the best suspension on paper and would be awesome if they put any quality parts in it. Maybe they have gotten better I don't know

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The motor is what steered me away from the Wildcat. It's a pos! Always has been, always will be! Also couldn't stand the puny front spindles. And again, the motor is a Piece of Sh*t!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have over 3000 miles in Wildcat's and 1000 in Mavericks.
The 2012 wildcats had major issues, my "X" however has been problem free. The suspension is better hands down, after being in the mav the cat feels longer(which it is) and not quite as nimble.
I have a 2014 mav with p/s and QE now and would not buy a mav without those things. The clutching leaves a little to be desired and the rear shocks need some work.
I like them both for different reasons, I say whichever one you sit in that is more comfortable to you, buy that one. I'm lucky enough to be able to have both, but if I had to pick I'd go Wildcat due to the suspension.

·
Registered
684 Posts
When I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would be picking up an rzr. This is my first sxs and I didn't even know what the maverick and widcat were. I went to a dealer that sold all three and started researching hp numbers and watching videos on youtube.
The rzr was out of the running after that. I drove both the maverick and widcat at the dealer and the maverick felt so much better, more planted, more powerfull, more comfortable, better looking. The deals to be had on the 13 maverick xrs was also a big plus.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have over 3000 miles in Wildcat's and 1000 in Mavericks.
The 2012 wildcats had major issues, my "X" however has been problem free. The suspension is better hands down, after being in the mav the cat feels longer(which it is) and not quite as nimble.
I have a 2014 mav with p/s and QE now and would not buy a mav without those things. The clutching leaves a little to be desired and the rear shocks need some work.
I like them both for different reasons, I say whichever one you sit in that is more comfortable to you, buy that one. I'm lucky enough to be able to have both, but if I had to pick I'd go Wildcat due to the suspension.[/QUOTE

If the Maverick suspension was designed like the Wildcat it would be a no brainer as I would much rather stay with the Can am for it's ergonomics . Unfortunatly it is not and appears to not be any better than my LT Commander. In fact I was following my Buddy in his new XRS and I could see my Commander suspension was out performing his and it was still not to my liking. So the reason to look at the Wildcat. As far as the Maverick being more nimble than the Wildcat, it is my understand a simple tie rod relocation on the Wildcat's spindle flags cures that. Or replacing the spinles with the 4 seater setup that gives you the better braking system as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor is what steered me away from the Wildcat. It's a pos! Always has been, always will be! Also couldn't stand the puny front spindles. And again, the motor is a Piece of Sh*t!!!!!!!!
Hmm! Based on my research it would appear the motor issues have been taken care of in the Wildcat 13 1/2 model year. They are apparently using a stronger crank etc. I have not compared the Can am spindles to the Wildcat however I do not hold the Can ams in high regards either considering I broke one at 5 MPH! And no it was not already cracked in case your wondering lol.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Go read the wildcat forums the new kitty is blowing belts like crazy with there new team clutches

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea so does the POS can am clutch system! Not to mention some are blowing apart and mounting bolts are sheering etc. For the record I am not talking about the two machines from a bashing standpoint as I already have the Commander with all of the issues I have had with it. All these machines have their issues. I am trying to determine witche one to buy for my next toy based on the ride as I am approaching 60 years old and want to stop being thrown around in a SxS. I do not have this issue with my Woodsbuggy and would prefer not to have the issues with a 20,000 dollar SxS!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yea. All if them are gonna have problems. If I was gonna bash a wildcat I wouldn't start with clutches

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
your not seeing the point

the wildcat has a team ind , clutch which is suppose to be a great aftermarket clutch , well there blowing belts under 100 miles , mavericks have not done that and when u do get a comparable clutch on a maverick it puts down 10 more HP and doesn't blow belts anything like a kitty does , so u think a maverick has chitty clutching --- well the kittys have a aftermarket hi performance clutch and it still sucks !!!

we have 3 kitty's X in the family so I know !

·
Registered
998 Posts
If suspension is #1 priority go wildcat, I like how everyone bashes the can am clutch but I'm at 2k miles with no problems or blown belts. The wildcat will take big hits and whoops better than the maverick but everything else the maverick will do better

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hmm! Based on my research it would appear the motor issues have been taken care of in the Wildcat 13 1/2 model year. They are apparently using a stronger crank etc. I have not compared the Can am spindles to the Wildcat however I do not hold the Can ams in high regards either considering I broke one at 5 MPH! And no it was not already cracked in case your wondering lol.
The motor issues have been taken care of? What is that based on? A solid 3.5 months of them being out with actually very few sold and not many of those few sold with even 500 miles on them yet?

I would hardly consider that a proven track record since the history of this 1000 H2 motor and trans being junk dates back to 2008.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The motor issues have been taken care of? What is that based on? A solid two months of them being out with actually very few sold and not many of those few sold with even 500 miles on them yet?

I would hardly consider that a proven track record since the history of this 1000 H2 motor and trans being junk dates back to 2008.
one already had a case leak to

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yea so does the POS can am clutch system! Not to mention some are blowing apart and mounting bolts are sheering etc. For the record I am not talking about the two machines from a bashing standpoint as I already have the Commander with all of the issues I have had with it. All these machines have their issues. I am trying to determine witche one to buy for my next toy based on the ride as I am approaching 60 years old and want to stop being thrown around in a SxS. I do not have this issue with my Woodsbuggy and would prefer not to have the issues with a 20,000 dollar SxS!
Piece of shit clutch, or piece of shit engine and drivetrain, I know which one I would choose. At least the wildcat will ride smooth while it is being towed home :<

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ha ha!!!! Everybody's worried about suspension nowadays...... I remember chasing two rzr s,s one day for eight hrs. My insides hurt for two days. Mannnn we've come a long way!!!oh I was on a stock rhino chasing them. Lol

1 - 20 of 125 Posts