Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I currently have a Commander 1000 "X" with Turnkey UTV long travel (modified to meet my specs) and Elka stage 4 shocks. My question is simple. For those of you that came from a long travel Commander how does it stack up to the Maverick? I am sure those of you that came from a stock Commander will say major Improvement. Personally i thought the stock suspension sucked so it really does not count lol. I can not get near what I have into the Commander so it's a keeper for now. I am looking at the Maverick XRS however i do not want to drop that kind of money into another SXS only having to replace the Suspension for another 5 to 6 Gs. Note that the additional HP on the Maverick is not a deciding factor for me as i trail ride and 85 HP is plenty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good question. I am torn right now as well. I've contacted turn key about
Their long travel and believe I will either go w them or HCR's. However, if the turn key or HCR is sub par to the mavs it's a no brainier at that point.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm! In your case i would consider selling the Commander and buying the Maverick. For me I have already invested the time and money into the Long travel, so at this point I have way more into it than the purchase price of a new Maverick. Not to mention the Power steering, QE diff, Doors, Roof, Winch, Harnesses etc. Granted some of the stuff could be reused if I were to sell the Commander.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmmm! In your case i would consider selling the Commander and buying the Maverick. For me I have already invested the time and money into the Long travel, so at this point I have way more into it than the purchase price of a new Maverick. Not to mention the Power steering, QE diff, Doors, Roof, Winch, Harnesses etc. Granted some of the stuff could be reused if I were to sell the Commander.
My Maverick (pre race build) can out run my race Commander..and that's with the Turnkey front suspension and our own extended (moved the diff back 6 inches) rear control arms..the 2.5 Foxes are better than the Elka's in my opinion too...and Elka is a sponsor for what ever its worth.

the Maverick stock suspension is that much better in my opinion...and of course we are taking it to a whole new level with our long travel.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Yeah I hear ya and that is what I will probably do. Only thing is I have over 22 grand in this buggy as it sits. Everything else is done but the suspension. I'mma lose my ass but you always will when you get into this stuff. From what Amos is saying sounds like we are both on the same track of owning a maverick haha. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i have worked on quite a few long travel commanders, ridden them hard in a few different styles of terrain, and the stock maverick suspension is still better.

i have worked on commanders with motor work, cams, every exhaust and tuner on the market, done every bit of high end clutching you can think of to make a commander as fast as you can get it, and a stock maverick is still a damn good bit faster.

when you are in a maverick, you dont realize the lack of power steering quite as much, because you steer the machine with your right foot, and when your right foot is doing the steering, your front tires are not really on the ground a whole lot, so the front end feels exceptionally light.
guys who mud ride and go slow over large obstacles, will feel the weight of the maverick and want power steering.

stock for stock the maverick is a mean machine. and it will out-do a commander in almost every single way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have worked on quite a few long travel commanders, ridden them hard in a few different styles of terrain, and the stock maverick suspension is still better.

i have worked on commanders with motor work, cams, every exhaust and tuner on the market, done every bit of high end clutching you can think of to make a commander as fast as you can get it, and a stock maverick is still a damn good bit faster.

when you are in a maverick, you dont realize the lack of power steering quite as much, because you steer the machine with your right foot, and when your right foot is doing the steering, your front tires are not really on the ground a whole lot, so the front end feels exceptionally light.
guys who mud ride and go slow over large obstacles, will feel the weight of the maverick and want power steering.

stock for stock the maverick is a mean machine. and it will out-do a commander in almost every single way.
Damn, the more you typed the longer my Maverick boner grew! Hurry up Can Am & ship mine!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I hear ya and that is what I will probably do. Only thing is I have over 22 grand in this buggy as it sits. Everything else is done but the suspension. I'mma lose my ass but you always will when you get into this stuff. From what Amos is saying sounds like we are both on the same track of owning a maverick haha. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Keep in mind that depending on what mods you have on your Commander they will fit on the Maverick, like doors, roof etc. If you can remove them do so as they will not bring you much more on a resale. You will want to add the mods to the Maverick anyways. Why pay top dollar again when you will not get top dollar out of the them. Food for thought.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
831 Posts
My commander is faster than my mav...my mav is still better

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I went through the same quandry you guys are facing with the exception of I didn't have LT on my Commander but still had a ton of $ invested and LT was going to be my next upgade. I weighed the pros & cons and didn't make my final decision until I drove a Maverick. My biggest complaint with the Commander is the drivetrain noise, even after putting in the updated rear diff everyone in our family couldn't stand the noise over 45-50mph. Loved it besides that. So, I stripped everything off of the Commander that I felt I could use or sell & traded it in on the Mav. I can honestly say that my loss was well worth it to me. Love the Mav and probably would have done the same thing even if I did have LT on the Commander.

·
Registered
961 Posts
SickStick, so you are happy with the Sound of the Maverick? No noise? I like my Commander but can't handle the noise, I have a Maverick on the way as long as it's quiet I'm buying it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really do not mind the noise as it is an offroad machine not a BMW! Any of you guys trail riders as in like whats on the eastern side of the states? I find my Commander rides great on open road at high speeds. I am more concerned how it rides on the slow to medium speed trails in uneven and rocky terrain with off cambers, ruts, dead falls etc. This is why I am looking at the Maverick. What I do not want to do is start all over and buy something only marginally better in the Woods. Dropping 20Gs + the cost of additional mods into another toy when my Commander is already paid for with all the mods already done is a tough decision.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I really do not mind the noise as it is an offroad machine not a BMW! Any of you guys trail riders as in like whats on the eastern side of the states? I find my Commander rides great on open road at high speeds. I am more concerned how it rides on the slow to medium speed trails in uneven and rocky terrain with off cambers, ruts, dead falls etc. This is why I am looking at the Maverick. What I do not want to do is start all over and buy something only marginally better in the Woods. Dropping 20Gs + the cost of additional mods into another toy when my Commander is already paid for with all the mods already done is a tough decision.
I rode all weekend on trails and ruts and bumps and just about everything i could test it out on. All i can say is AMAZING... smooth as silk. Most impressive suspension i have ever ridden on. I rode through mud truck ruts that the maverick would just eat up like pop tarts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts