Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes it is in park. I have tried switching into nuetral and rocked it in park. The sensor must be working to because it is showing on the dash the gear changes.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Maybe check the cables as lbr said , your power is going some where and 8v to the starters not gonna get it , let us know when its running ,good luck ? If theres a fusable link wire some where

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
thats what is puzzling me so much. the power is going somewhere and im not sure where. not sure where the fusible links are but i need to find those too. Im really thinking of just bringing it to the dealer this week and let them fix it. Im sure they can scan it with the buds software and figure it out. Thank you everyone for the help so far!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Status update: SXS is going to the dealer this week. Im frustrated and mentally exhausted from this thing and still cant figure out whats wrong. Local dealer is closed today so im going to call them tomorrow and bring it in this week. Once they figure it out i will let you guys know what is was. I have tried everything and dont know what the next step is. Again thank you to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Status update: SXS is going to the dealer this week. Im frustrated and mentally exhausted from this thing and still cant figure out whats wrong. Local dealer is closed today so im going to call them tomorrow and bring it in this week. Once they figure it out i will let you guys know what is was. I have tried everything and dont know what the next step is. Again thank you to everyone for the help!

Sorry to hear this but hope the dealer gets you fixed up quick and you're on the roll again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thanks Canamk! i sure hope so. Im hoping its something simple. The only thing i noticed last night when i looked at it was it tested continuity from the post on the starter to the positive battery cable at the battery post with the key off. I could be wrong but i dont believe that should happen. The starter relay/solenoid should prevent that until i hit the start button to continue the current. So that has me wondering if its something to do with that. When i do a voltage test on the solenoid, with the key off the left post shows 12 volts and the right shows 0 until i hit the start button then it drops to 8 volts and both post read the same voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Could be a bad relay maybe try to disconect the starter side and run power to the cable going to the starter and see if it spins , sounds like the relay is shorting out , does it get hot/ warm during the voltage drop

Reactions: Mudskipper

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The way most solenoids or relays work is you have voltage on one post and when you activate the solenoid with the starter switch it travels through the solenoid to the starter. It sounds to me like you possibly have a bad starter or solenoid, especially with the voltage drop. Or look for a high resistance somewhere. Have you removed the starter and see if it spins when it’s not connected to the engine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
well good news! I decided to take another look at it tonight and have finally narrowed it down to the starter, i believe. i disconnected the cable from the solenoid that goes to the starter and turned the key on and put 12v directly to the cable and the starter will click but not turn. I then removed the belt and double checked to make sure the motor turns easily and it does. i still have my stock starter so im going to bring it to a buddy of mine tomorrow to have him make sure its fine or rebuild it and will hopefully put it in tomorrow night or thursday night! Cross my fingers that this will work haha
Right before all this happened I replaced my stator because I was getting a low voltage warning on my dash and I don't believe the battery was being charged. So if the starter is still doing the same thing after I put the stock one back on then I guess I will have to remove that cover and check to make sure all the gears are in line like they are suppose to be. I know I double checked everything the first time but who knows.

Quick question for everyone. Do you all at 2 cables going from your starter solenoid to your starter? My machine has 2 and i figured it would only be one cable but was maybe wondering if that was can am's way to maybe make sure there was plenty of voltage going to the starter and maybe reduce the starter issues they have been having when the machine is warm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The way most solenoids or relays work is you have voltage on one post and when you activate the solenoid with the starter switch it travels through the solenoid to the starter. It sounds to me like you possibly have a bad starter or solenoid, especially with the voltage drop. Or look for a high resistance somewhere. Have you removed the starter and see if it spins when it’s not connected to the engine?
I have replaced the starter with an aftermarket one. After I installed it I realized I should have tested it before I put it in but forgot. I tested the stock one after and it seems to work just fine. Tomorrow im going to bring the stock on to a buddy of mine and have him check it out and once he is done with it I will remove the aftermarket one and install the stock on again. hope that works

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to the forum and i need some help. I have a 2016 Maverick turbo and it wont start. When i turn the key all lights and dash come on and it recognizes the key. When i push the start button the starter relay clicks once and the lights go out but the machine wont start. I have load tested the battery and made sure it was fully charged to 12.8 volts, i replaced the starter relay, replaced the starter. I have no clue what else it could be. It doesnt try to turn over or anything. Check all fuses at the fuse panel and swapped around the relays there. It ran fine when i parked it. Any help would be awesome! Thanks
SAME ISSUE:
I even re wired to a complete cut of switch because my battery kept dying. battery brand new. click click click. take seat out, take a heavy wire, JUMP THE TERMINALS ON THE SOLENOID. Motor should turn over. Try Starting it now... IF it started? replace the solenoid.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts