Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with this setup? I would like to know the total width of the tracks mounted on the trail. Also any feedback on ride and performance. Would you do it again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 trail 1000 dps with a 3" lift and the Apache 360 LT, 58" width in the front and 59" in the rear. It has a 18" ground clearance. it is a little rough riding unless you're on snow, the top speed is 33 mph @ 7100 rpm. I have had tracks on my ATV for the past 5 years. I haven't had any problems yet with either machine, I don't even ride my snowmobile any more! so yes I would recommend anyone who rides in the snow to get a set (and a cab heater too!!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback...really appreciate it!!! I installed the cab heater last month and we were just bombarded by snow. I had the old style Apache’s on my outlander 650 and had a great time! Just needed the feedback on the trail. I will order a set. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am sitting at 58" wide both front and rear. I also have 18" ground clearance with maximum preload set. I have only had the tracks out for 1 weekend. I did run on groomed snowmobile trails leaving zero evidence that I was there. Snowmobile's dig in and create far more damage than the Maverick Trail on Apache 360's. Top speed is 40 mph. Floatation is impressive. The Mav. was only a few inches down into some fresh snow when we stepped out and both went up to our knees. I did re-trace my path a couple times with no issues...I don't even think the Mav. settled any more than it did on the first cut. I ran over some really big drifts and inclines...I never felt a lack of traction or sinking. The vehicle never felt tippy, I think this is due to the mass of the tracks adding a lower center of gravity.
In addition to the tracks, you will want to spend some time sealing up all of the gaps in your cab. I used closed cell pipe & rope insulation...you can find at any Home Depot/ACE/ Lowe's etc. Cram it into any gap you can find. Pay special attention to under the dash, there are gaps up under the dash that will let light snow through. I purchased heated seat elements on Amazon to place under the covers on both the seat and backrest ($65 with harness/4 pads...enough for 2 seats)... I also installed the CanAm heater... the temp was near zero and we were still cooking inside without jackets.
Installation: MAKE SURE YOU GREASE ALL YOUR ZERKS PRIOR TO INSTALLING TRACKS!!! You can't access all of them once the tracks are installed.
Heater: Study the instructions prior to install. It only took a couple hours of work once I figured out the illustrations in the instructions...😂🙄 Cutting the dash: I used a torch to heat a razor blade until it was glowing AWAY FROM VEHICLE AND ANY FLAMMABLES!!! You basically stand in a clear safe area, heat the blade, then quickly go back to your vehicle before it cools off... Use it to cut the plastic... Repeat as necessary! This gives you a nice clean/controlled cut. You will get a little smoke, do your best not to breath the fumes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sitting at 58" wide both front and rear. I also have 18" ground clearance with maximum preload set. I have only had the tracks out for 1 weekend. I did run on groomed snowmobile trails leaving zero evidence that I was there. Snowmobile's dig in and create far more damage than the Maverick Trail on Apache 360's. Top speed averages between a gas guzzling 37 & 40 mph. Keep in mind, your RPM's sit around 5500-7000 regardless of you speed...even if you are crawling at 10 mph. Guzzle...Guzzle!!! I wouldn't go anywhere without a 5 gal gas reserve...Im considering 10. I purchased a high quality can in hopes of not blowing up! Do not purchase tracks to be unstoppable!!! You need to be aware of your surroundings. We have had a warmer than usual winter in Minnesota this year. Some of the ground is not completely frozen. We broke through a 1ft deep puddle just as we started to enter. We quickly stopped and backed out. If the track goes below the ice on both front and rear of the track...there is a good chance that you will be stuck If this happens, it will be very difficult to get out!!! Floatation is suprizingly impressive. The Mav. was only a few inches down into some fresh snow when we stepped out and both went up to our knees. I considered both Camso and Apache's. After a ton of research, I chose the 360's. My dealer set me up with the tracks, Install kit, pre-filter & programmer for $5,050. The Camso looks like a fantastic track!!! The 360's are a little bigger both width and length... Online reviews suggested Apaches offer more ground clearance. After deciding on the Apache's, I did bounce back and forth between the 360's and the Backcountry. I have seen videos of Mavericks getting stuck in fresh powder with tracks... Though, the vehicle getting stuck was the one following a pre cut path by the leading vehicle driving up a hill on a mountain. I did re-trace my path a couple times with no issues...I don't even think the Mav. settled any more than it did on the first cut. Do I need the additional floatation & traction of the backcountry in Minnesota...nope! I ran over some really big drifts and inclines...I never felt a lack of traction or sinking. I did use all of my 18" clearance climbing up and over the top of the drifts. The benefit of the 360 is you have wheels! You don't need snow to lubricate the track. There were a few times I had to drive a 1/4 mile on pavement to reach the gas station...this is why you want 360's. Ride quality: I don't intend to run tracks outside of winter months. On fresh snow...smooth as silk, snow covered gravel driveway...pretty smooth. On a partially groomed snowmobile trail with the leftover whoops from this past fall's ATV riding...a bit rougher. You definitely feel the high spots!!! The vehicle never felt tippy, I think this is due to the mass of the tracks adding a lower center of gravity. Windshield: Undecided... I had an X3 with CanAm's glass windshield and wiper. I now have the CanAm Hard Coated Power Flip windshield on my Trail. Answer: I will take a glass power flip with wiper please! Glass on the X3 was easy to remove in the warm summer months when desired. Pros: Fantastic durability and a wiper. The Con: You remove it for the fresh air, leave it behind, then decide to drive over 50 mph, then down a trail of puddles...IN YOUR FACE! Hard Coated Power flip: Cons: Look out for those branch strikes! Careful cleaning it when you get back! ...No wiper! PROS: You always have the best of both worlds at your finger tips! Close it when you need protection, open it when you don't. Use it to control fresh air with a closed cab...an inch or two will keep your windows clear of condensation. When we were going 10mph through the woods this winter with tracks. Only the glow of the night sky and crisp cold air...we opened the power flip...It was amazing! fyi...the heater is a must!!! We then closed the power flip, accelerated to 20mph and turned the wheel...I immediately missed the wiper. Solution: In fresh snow, slow down in the corners. You don't really have this issue on a groomed trail! Wheels are not as exposed on the trail as they are on an X3. With wheels, I rarely miss the wiper...I used it all the time on the X3.
Back to running winter months with tracks.
In addition to the tracks, you will want to spend some time sealing up all of the gaps in your cab. I used closed cell pipe & rope insulation...you can find at any Home Depot/ACE/ Lowe's etc. Cram it into any gap you can find. Pay special attention to under the dash, there are gaps up under the dash that will let light snow through. I purchased heated seat elements on Amazon to place under the covers on both the seat and backrest ($65 with harness/4 pads...enough for 2 seats)... I also installed the CanAm heater... the temp was near zero and we were still cooking inside without jackets. Crack the power flip an inch and the fresh air makes it perfect inside.
Installation: MAKE SURE YOU GREASE ALL YOUR ZERKS PRIOR TO INSTALLING TRACKS!!! You can't access all of them once the tracks are installed.
Heater: Study the instructions prior to install. It only took a couple hours of work once I figured out the illustrations in the instructions...😂🙄 Cutting the dash: I used a torch to heat a razor blade until it was glowing AWAY FROM VEHICLE AND ANY FLAMMABLES!!! You basically stand in a clear safe area, heat the blade, then quickly go back to your vehicle before it cools off... Use it to cut the plastic... Repeat as necessary! This gives you a nice clean/controlled cut. You will get a little smoke, do your best not to breath the fumes!

View attachment 251248 View attachment 251249 View attachment 251250 View attachment 251251
I have the same tracks on my X3 and they do pretty well in the snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts