Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchase my Maverick Trail back in November and on my first ride was able to reach 68MPH and relatively quickly. However, I tipped it on its side in a recent trip out, low speed barely any visible damage. Machine started right back up, no check engine light. But I can now only reach about 40-43MPH and its relatively slow to get up to speed. Air filter is clean no oil residue, looks brand new. Doesn't matter if its in Sport or ECO Mode, wheel on or off, differential locked or not, same speed no matter what I try.

I did find as I scrolled through the information center an OD 83 message. I cant find anything about what this message is. Any idea's? What I could check before I spend $100+ an hour for the dealer to look at it?

I attempted to clear the code by pulling the battery overnight but that didn't help.

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
You dont mention the restricted key, could that be it? Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to dealer! If you are not running properly, this should be covered under warranty. They don’t need to know you “tipped “ it.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
Both keys do it for sure?
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, both keys do it. I still had the same key in it when I tipped it back over and immediately after the tip it seems to be governing me at the 40MPH range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darrell5 - thank you for pointing out my stupidity...that didn't even dawn on me. I was just checking things over the weekend and I had never scrolled through so I didn't notice that it may have changed. I never had an odometer on my ATV's so that don't even occur to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured out the problem...very disappointed in the lack of help or suggestions on this Forum. Are the Canam owners just riders? No one actually works on their machines???

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Figured out the problem...very disappointed in the lack of help or suggestions on this Forum. Are the Canam owners just riders? No one actually works on their machines???
no, your the only one that does apparently. We all just drive the shit out of them and if we flip them we let warranty resolve it as machine owner has no recourse. The fact that you thought the odometer was a trouble code tells us a bit about your skill level, on top of not being a very good driver.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts

Wow, what a $hit response.

You are expecting us to diagnose and issue from your post, which has very little info and didn't know the Odometer was the number.

Yet YOU HAVE the machine and couldn't figure out.

One standard for everyone else and another for yourself kind of guy.

Now to top it off you don't even say WHAT the issue was for future people.

With that attitude you're not going to get much help.

Why don't you reevaluate and let us know what the issue and contribute instead of telling others how they disappointed you.

Tim

·
Registered
149 Posts
I work on everything I have and run the hell out of them. If I'd had this trouble I as well as others would gladly share our experiences. Next time, just for you I'm going to induce failures into my machine just to figure out what's wrong with yours. NOT! Sorry this forum is not your salvation. Are you insulting us because you're to embarrassed to tell us what stupid thing you did to cause your issue? Come on and share, we've all done stupid things and slapped our head.

·
Administrator
3,113 Posts
The Maverick Trail was developed with a highly sophisticated ECM that is "learnable" to it's driver's skills/abilities.

When it learns that a driver is uncapable of keeping control with the go-fast key, the ECM will go into a "stand in the corner" mode for an undetermined amount of time, which basically equates to the low-speed key.

My thoughts are that you had gone 68 at one time and then later flopped over, thus triggering the machine to hold back for your skills development to catch up with it's abilities.
Yes, am being snarky and above is bs....being a new member, please try to blend into the site with your first impressions and don't condemn those of us who haven't even driven a new Trail. We're here to learn from you as well.....Thanx.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
The Maverick Trail was developed with a highly sophisticated ECM that is "learnable" to it's driver's skills/abilities.

When it learns that a driver is uncapable of keeping control with the go-fast key, the ECM will go into a "stand in the corner" mode for an undetermined amount of time, which basically equates to the low-speed key.

My thoughts are that you had gone 68 at one time and then later flopped over, thus triggering the machine to hold back for your skills development to catch up with it's abilities.
Yes, am being snarky and above is bs....being a new member, please try to blend into the site with your first impressions and don't condemn those of us who haven't even driven a new Trail. We're here to learn from you as well.....Thanx.
Ok, I am going to have to admit that was funny, but I am also going to have to ask you leave the comedy to Sand Shark and I.

We're the alleged funny people around here!

LOL. Tim

P.S. since you don't often make jokes, it took me a second to get out " learn something" mode to .....AHA That was funny! I'm going to chalk this one up to beginners luck. Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow. I would have thought this guy would have come back and apologized and let us know what the issue was. You gotta know with an error code of Odometer 83 he is going to have more questions in the future and this is the place to ask them. Just because he did not get an answer he needed to his first question because it may never have come up before.....Oh well. I'm still waiting for my dealer to get one in. :(

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apologize? For what? I've been a member of several other forums for my various quads over the years, and have always depended on them for help. I fully understand that you're not going to induce the failure to help troubleshoot, but after a week the only two suggestions I got were to take it to the dealer and are you using the wrong key? Not exactly helpful. The fact that I got more responses from my last post questioning if you worked on you machines than I did asking for help in the first place does actually does say more about you than me.

I would have expected maybe a did you try this or check that, I got none of that. I have two brother-in-laws with Renegade 1000's and have received little to no help as well from Can-Am Forums. Given the premium prices of Can-Am's I assumed that maybe you all were just riders and when something breaks you just drop off the machine and your credit card at the dealer.

For the record, the front spark plug boot ripped out of the plug wire and the machine was only firing on one cylinder. I didn't see it because Can-Am's design sucks, I have the upgraded Beard seats that I had to remove in order to open the compartment and find the front plug.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Apologize? For what? I've been a member of several other forums for my various quads over the years, and have always depended on them for help. I fully understand that you're not going to induce the failure to help troubleshoot, but after a week the only two suggestions I got were to take it to the dealer and are you using the wrong key? Not exactly helpful. The fact that I got more responses from my last post questioning if you worked on you machines than I did asking for help in the first place does actually does say more about you than me.

I would have expected maybe a did you try this or check that, I got none of that. I have two brother-in-laws with Renegade 1000's and have received little to no help as well from Can-Am Forums. Given the premium prices of Can-Am's I assumed that maybe you all were just riders and when something breaks you just drop off the machine and your credit card at the dealer.

For the record, the front spark plug boot ripped out of the plug wire and the machine was only firing on one cylinder. I didn't see it because Can-Am's design sucks, I have the upgraded Beard seats that I had to remove in order to open the compartment and find the front plug.
liquid courage and blurred thinking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts