Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my stock rack in my maverick in a race over the weekend, I stripped the internals and had a hell of a time getting back the trailer! I plan to get a stronger rack, rackzilla or possibly a gear one if they are releasing soon. But my question is what about adding some steering dampers on either side that clamp from frame to somewhere near the outer tie rod. A friend of mine and I were discussing this as a possible way to take the possibility of destroying another rack by hitting a tree or rock.

What to you think?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Steering dampers will help as they do slow down fast movements in the rack however a really hard hit is going to push right thru one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
power steering will take the hit of the feedback out of the wheel but nothing is going to soften the blow of a obstacle on the rack. Holz racing has a small plate that goes on the back to keep them from pulling the bolt out . that and rackzilla setup in my opinion would be a better set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power steering in my opinion technically hurts you as it does not allow the rack to quickly go one way or the other. it would save your hands from being ripped on way or the other in the steering wheel but this is what also caused my rack to strip. I think the dampers would keep it from stripping so easy. So my thoughts are to do a rackzilla as well as some type of dampers so that they can help assist in soaking up a hit. Obviously you cant become indestructible, but I am after being as strong as possible

what type does mark burnett have on his setup?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
His is pretty custom. He has the spindles swapped left to right so it's a front steer, a buggy Rack and Pinion, and then the steering dampeners, one going towards each spindle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have wanted to do something similar, a simple 1:1 buggy rack from gear one or something like that, gear strip against gear strip it would be much less likely to break. Just doesn't seem possible without extensive modification. I looked at some pics of his buggy but didn't see the dampers. I figure with a rackzilla and dampers I would be in pretty good shape. without having to mod as much as he did.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Marc has a buggy rack.

Wait for gear one if you can. It will be the beginning of the year. I should have the first one and I'll replace my Rackvilla with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts