Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just like the first Commander release the QE and EPS will be offered in a year or two on the Maverick. So add it now if you want or wait for the 2015 model!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
All-terrain vehicle Off-roading Vehicle Motor vehicle Mud

We took the Maverick's out for a spin this weekend and had a blast in the mud & rain. Very nice machine. I did notice that there were still the outer mounting tabs for the rear trailing arm on the frame, so it is a Commander frame that has been modified at least on the demo units. Power is definately better than my commander, seemed a little more responsive as well. Suspension worked better the faster you went. Exhaust sounded good, like it had a quiet version Muzzy's on it. The clunk isn't as severe, but did notice it when I first took off, but that was the only time. Didn't hear any whine noise but we had helmets on and didn't reach speeds over 45mph with the course we were on. Cockpit is the same as the Commander. The XRS that my wife was driving had a roof and it didn't have a drip rail so all the rain & mud water on the roof kept dripping in her face - that was about the only complaint. Definately a big improvement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The picture of those muddy machines doesn't show the half of it :) I was there, Prairie City Offroad Park, for the Saturday monsoon demo day!

WOW. I have never ridden in that kind of mud and rain before. There were brief breaks in the rain, but pretty constant downpoor, and every inch of the trail was mud or puddle that you wouldn't want to walk through. I made the mistake of riding in the Mav you see up front with the doors and roof. It had GPS, radio, and tons of other accessories (that don't interest me at all). I wanted it for the doors, but they couldn't stop the flood of mud, and the roof collected lots of it, then when you slow down, the mud would slide down and blow back into your face. My goggles lasted about 100 yards before they were worthless. Took them off and drove alternating one eye open to try and see. You know its bad when you can barely see a bright yellow quad 20 feet in front of you.

ANYWAY... blindness and sloppy conditions aside, I did get 15 min in both the X and regular Maverick, and of course had a blast. :)

The X definitely looks better, but honestly, even through short bursts of wide-open throttle whoops and a few blind (literally) drops into ruts, you really could not tell the difference in the shocks. A couple people there said they could, but they were obviously more of the novice riders. I had a chat with some more experienced drivers, and they confirmed my observation. You will need to do some serious jumps or push the limits of sane driving before the X suspension would be worth $2K more, IMO. Do I want an X anyway? of course, but I'm just sayin.

Power was abundent, but there is a LOT of machine to move. these things are BIG. I come from mostly a quad background, and my honest conclusion after riding the Mav... is that I miss my quads, and the Mav is more than I need for trail riding and the occasional trip to the dunes. These things are almost too easy to drive, in the sense that there is less thrill and skill required on the same terrain vs. riding a quad. I miss the ability to fling the ass-end around and point with the throttle. Sure the Mav can break free and slide through some turns, but it's just not the same. But, as a 40yr old father of 2, there will be a roll cage in my future.

Don't get me wrong. I like Can-Am, and top-of-the-line would be top-of-my-list if money were no object. I've driven in RZR and Commanders on this same terrain (albeit without the mud), and the Mav is on par with the XP4 in terms of ride/suspension, with an extra 20% power that was great to have in the mud, but I don't think anyone not running comp hill in the dunes would need the extra. Compared to the commander? The Mav suspension is in a different league. Commanders ride more like a stiffly sprung quad, and the Mav rides more like a Dirt bike.

Conclusion? Yes, Awesome. But I found myself searching for used RZR-S after I got back... for my type of riding (notice I didn't say jumping or racing). If I was going to be in the dunes 5x/year, or taking it to MX tracks, clearly I would favor the XP or Mav.

Not sure that helps anyone, but I wanted to try and contribute. Feel free to ask any questions about things I failed to highlight. Take care!

View attachment 240
We took the Maverick's out for a spin this weekend and had a blast in the mud & rain. Very nice machine. I did notice that there were still the outer mounting tabs for the rear trailing arm on the frame, so it is a Commander frame that has been modified at least on the demo units. Power is definately better than my commander, seemed a little more responsive as well. Suspension worked better the faster you went. Exhaust sounded good, like it had a quiet version Muzzy's on it. The clunk isn't as severe, but did notice it when I first took off, but that was the only time. Didn't hear any whine noise but we had helmets on and didn't reach speeds over 45mph with the course we were on. Cockpit is the same as the Commander. The XRS that my wife was driving had a roof and it didn't have a drip rail so all the rain & mud water on the roof kept dripping in her face - that was about the only complaint. Definately a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Johnny, thats what I was thinking when I was driving these. I'm glad they're not mine because wouldn't want to be the one cleaning them. Googles were pretty much worthless, mine lasted the first lap and of coarse I forgot my damn tear-offs. My wife drove the X with the roof and like Just4fun was saying the mud & rain kept dripping in their face/eyes off of the roof. I drove the x without the roof and didn't suffer as bad. The roof definately needed a drip rail in front. With all the mud I couldn't put it through the paces that I would of liked to but it was fun non-the-less. You could tell the suspension worked better the faster you went just like an XP. Ride was way better & alot more stable than my Commander X for sure & definate noticeable power increase. I popped the hood off the demo unit under the awning to try and see any noticeable changes in the intake/throttle body & it looked like it had the same air filter box as the Commander couldn't tell on the intake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
you notice how relatively clean the quad in front is? Sure, our tour guide was in front :) but, I was a bit surprised how much of YOUR OWN spray gets into the cab on the Mav (and likely most UTVs?). I just never remember getting as drenched when going through mud or puddles with a quad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got back from glamis last night, had a chance to demo the wildcat and maverick back to back. The maverick had been running for at least an hour and a half when I got in the x version and the heat inside was not noticeable at all with outside temp of 80. Mine had no clunk noise or rearend howl. The rear diff appers to be larger than the commander. Exhaust has a very nice sound bout not to loud under power. Steering felt no different then the power steering on the wildcat other than with all the power of the mav will have you correcting a lot more than the slug of a wildcat. Suspension still not 100% sure on did not get a chance to blast thru whoops, got a little bit and it felt good caught a little air and it soaked it up. One small g out and it handled no problem. Hammered through a few whooped step-downs and it handled it as good as the wildcat which impressed me as the wildcat suspension is bitchen.

Power is very impressive you hit it and it leaps forward hard to believe 16 hp is such a large leap forward only got up to 45 but it was there in a hurry. We almost had a roll in our group due to the power spinning out driver.

Very impressive machine.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts