Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Overall they seem impressed except for visco lok an the lack of power steering. Makes me wonder why canam didn't spec QE an PS as standard equipment

·
Registered
791 Posts
New review out from ATV.com. They sound pretty impressed with the maverick but it sounds like they were driving with sport mode off as they were not happy with the throttle response. I thought I had read a review somewhere else where they could not believe how responsive the throttle was.

2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000R X rs Review - Video

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like they rode the one with all the accessories on which would be a reason for lack of acceleration due to the extra weight. I have no doubt this machine will be faster than the rzr xp. Overall the review seemed mostly positive. I'm starting to get anxious myself lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
72 Posts
Surprisingly the maverick is light on the steering almost as though it has power steering. Also the throttle response in sport mode is very quick. It pulls the line quicker than the po po (even when the Polaris is power breaking)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting anxious for my xrs, hopefully Polaris doesn't come out with a game changer again to keep me on the popo bandwagon lol.. I think Johnny may know something we don't as I follow his posts in rzr forums.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm thinking the exact same thing C.moore. I have a deposit on one that should arrive in December, and I hope it doesn't come in till January!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer told me I was looking at around February or march before mine comes in. If mine was to show up in December I believe I'll hold off and get the next one to see what is coming out in January

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Okay, here's my review. I went to Glamis today and took three demo rides in the Maverick. About a 2 mile loop following a quad. The Maverick does have plenty of power! I had a race rhino before this with a mostly stock engine, just K&n, exhaust, DynaTek ignition, and CVT mod. The rhino also had 14 inches of travel. The Mavericks in a hole nother ballpark! It was very exciting to drive and actually got my adrenaline going! I was mostly in 2 Wheel drive, but I tried 4 Wheel drive a couple of times. And I was mostly in sport mode, but I tried the sport mode off for about a minute, and it sucked! I put it in low range for a minute, and the sport mode is definitely off with it in low. I drove the base model, the next model up, and also one that had mohawks on the front and Sand tires unlimited blasters with staggered cut and they were shaved to make them lighter. I did not really like the feel of the one with the paddle tires. It did not steer very easy at all. And it also seem to want to steer to the left or right just little bit. Kind of darting back and forth. The ones with the stock tires steered very easy. I think I can see myself in this vehicle for the next five years or so. I did hear from someone out there that there's going to be three new side-by-side coming out next year. But they're all going to be 2014 models. For me, the perfect side-by-side would be the wildcat frame and suspension, but with a five or six inch shorter wheelbase, and a reliable motor with 150 hp. And a good turning radius. This is the closest to that yet. The XP frame is not strong enough in my humble opinion. And the wheelbase is definitely a little bit too short on XP also. The rear end on the Maverick was planted! Most side-by-side want to kick a little bit in the rear, but not this thing! I do all my own fabrication, including changing the valving on the shocks, and my initial impression is they got this thing perfect. Also I asked about the rear end and the front end being interchangeable with the commander. I was told that these are preproduction models, and the guys that are taking them out on the demo are not given information or the specs that are going to be on the production models. They did say that they think the front end is interchangeable with the commander. And Can Am rep also said that the rear end is larger than the commander with a larger ring in pinon and it is helical cut. I heard no whine out of the rear end.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Also I checked the doghouse for heat. After a run I could put my hand on the top of it just fine, around the side in the middle it was warm, and down by the floorboard right where the exhaust pipe would be running behind the plastic, it was very hot. But during the ride I felt no heat coming from the motor area. And also when the ride was over and I thought is there anything bothering me about heat, and there was not.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So some of the rzr guys claim the xp will be faster up olds. What's you opinion glamisfan? Have you rode a xp to compare it to?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rzr is not faster up old's.... I have raced the maverick vs the rzr up the dunes and know for sure in stock form the rzr is not close. The maverick just has brute tourqe for pulling ahead in the sand....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've driven both, and I think the Maverick rear end puts power to the ground a little better. Although I think part of that feeling was the longer wheelbase. I really couldn't fault the suspension! And with 15% better power to weight ratio, I just don't see it losing to a rzr xp! Its really comparabl to the xp,but imho,it's a much better utv. After seeing and driving the Maverick, even looking at the xp just turns me off! But.........the Stupid Throttle Control does SUCK! It didn't seem dangerous,but I didn't like the motor doing something different than what my foot was doing!!! I asked if the Can Am racing black box would work on it, and they didn't know. They said probably not.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts