Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it looks like it would be very easy to add rear steering to the maverick.

Is anyone working on a kit yet??? I think it would be great for crawling or navigating tight technical trails. I would be one of the first to purchase.

The way that I would like to see it set up would be on a rocker switch, and when centered, the rear wheels would automatically return to center...

Of course it would have to be automatically disabled above a certain speed for safety reasons.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, it looks like it would be very easy to add rear steering to the maverick.

Is anyone working on a kit yet??? I think it would be great for crawling or navigating tight technical trails. I would be one of the first to purchase.

The way that I would like to see it set up would be on a rocker switch, and when centered, the rear wheels would automatically return to center...

Of course it would have to be automatically disabled above a certain speed for safety reasons.......
Did I miss something? Is the Mav suppose to have limited steering like the ac wildcat??

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure what you are talking about. I was just pointing out that it appears rear steering as an aftermarket modification would not be difficult given the design of the TTA rear suspension. I have no reason to believe their is anything wrong with, or limited about the steering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have wondered the same thing...........Has anyone heard anything about this kinda setup home brew or otherwise since 2012?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
You could make it happen. It wouldnt be too hard. A self centering function could make it a little pricy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just throw some front knuckles on the rear and a rack and give your passenger a steering wheel to steer the rear! hahaha OK so maybe not the brightest idea, but how funny would that be to watch!

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's already been done. i will see if I can find it. A rock bouncer did it to his mav. You also don't need to replace the rears as they work the exact same way as the front spindles/knuckles.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That would make it one maneuverable machine!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all. I joined this forum in hopes that someone could provide more information or pictures on this. I searched Facebook but was unable to find Dale Larson (mentioned earlier by fx4) I just got a 4 seat turbo maverick and am very interested in doing rear steer on it. Any info, leads, or pics will Be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well it took almost 4 years but its done now, and i have the blueprints to set it up for mass production, in kit form. There are ZERO permanent modifications that have to be made, so the entire system could be removed and the machine put back to stock if necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
Well it took almost 4 years but its done now, and i have the blueprints to set it up for mass production, in kit form. There are ZERO permanent modifications that have to be made, so the entire system could be removed and the machine put back to stock if necessary.
Any info on how it works or youtube videos? Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
The set up can am is working on (from what i understand) is more of a high speed capable system. It will turn the rear slightly to increase handling in the dunes. Here is southeast texas, we dont have any dunes and mainly ride in tight trails where a 4 seater wheelbase anything is hard to get around.
The setup ive made here is basically a scaled down version of what monster trucks run. The rear is controlled with a an electric rocker switch that operates a boat hydraulic trim pump. The trim pump is plumbed to a small hydraulic cylinder. Itll turn the rear as much or more than the front.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts