Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had something very weird happen while riding today. Lost power, I looked down at gauges, temp gauge pegged! Fan not coming on. Puts me in limp home mode! Now remember I'm out on the trails 15 miles out. I drive it back in limp mode then I hear this load pop, started smoking really bad! It popped a whole in the hose coming off radiator! Any one have any similar issues? Suggestions what happened?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
so somethings been going on with a few fans on a mav or to ?

and it sounds like u got even hotter on the way back in limp mode and blew the hose off

going slow no wind and your fan not working not good

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same thing happend to mine last night. But I stopped and tried to fix it. I didn't find anything wrong except what I thought might be a blown fuse. (the fan fuse is a ceramic fuse and you can't see in it). So i used the 30A headlight and the fan came back on. Mav cooled down, good to go. Started heading back to camp(about 10 miles) half way there fan stoped working and started heating up again. I didn't have another fuse so I took the hood off and hoped for the best. It stayed cool the rest of the way back. When I looked at it back at camp both fuses were good and the fan turned on. I decided to let it cool off for the night. Today 30 miles on it (I stayed close to camp) no problems at all. I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a similar problem on my commander. I unloaded off the trailer and took off.In about five minutes it started getting real hot ,then I noticed the fan wasn't running.I checked the fuse and it was okay,so I used a test light and checked the wires going to the fan. That seemed to be okay, so I assumed the fan was bad. I dropped it off at the dealer. when I went back and picked it up they told me it was low on radiator fluid and the temp sensor was reading correctly. I never thought to check the radiator for fluid being a fan problem, so my dealer charged me $120 to add some fluid.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
uh...yeah. I learned that lesson many moons ago with a quad. If you have air in the system instead of fluid the sensor aint gunna read correctly. Gotta check the obvious 1st. I also learned that it wasn't always the case, and have had to hot wire the fan to stay on when the sensor went bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's even more messed up about all thus is the machine was just at dealer for the 10hr service! Plus it only has 240 miles on it! WTF!

·
Registered
806 Posts
The guy said that his temp gauge was pegged. If te temp gauge is pegged then the sensor was reading properly. Highly doubt that it would be a low coolant issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My went into limp mode because of overheating but found the radiator was completly clogged with mud. Thing is im not a mudder. Just normal trail riding. i have never clogged a radiator on our other 3 rzrs in 2000 miles, And there was 5 other rzrs with me takeing the same lines and they didnt clogg theres. Just dont understand why it would be the only by coincidence to clog up.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I find myself having to let off the throttle a little bit, because I'm always on the razor XP's butts. Maybe with your extra power, you're just riding a little bit too close to the rear end of them?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Seen this a few times...with my commander.. all seems to be in order. Make sure to keep the overflow tank at least three quarters full...otherwise extreme climbing and terrain can cause air to enter cooling system and you will get a overheat warning and limp home with check engine. That is the only trick I have learned. Saved me all the hassle after I figured out what was going on! They are super sensitive to air in the cooling system, creates an air pocket and will stop flowing......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing I'm wondering is why the fan wasn't coming on like earlier in day! Fuse tested out good mud not clogging radiator. Not sure what the deal is?

·
Registered
292 Posts
When mine did it I took a test light and checked the wires going to the fan to make sure they getting power and ground. They were so I figured it was the fan gone bad,so I cared it back to the dealer. They said that it was low on fluid and the overflow was empty and that was all they found wrong. That didn't make sense to me because if the fan sensor wasn't reading then the wires going to the fan would not have power. But what ever it never did it again and I got over the $120 to add fluid they charged me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
When mine did it I took a test light and checked the wires going to the fan to make sure they getting power and ground. They were so I figured it was the fan gone bad,so I cared it back to the dealer. They said that it was low on fluid and the overflow was empty and that was all they found wrong. That didn't make sense to me because if the fan sensor wasn't reading then the wires going to the fan would not have power. But what ever it never did it again and I got over the $120 to add fluid they charged me.
Here is the theory behind it all....The fan sensor is built into the radiator tank. When the air gets trapped, it quits pumping. The sensor for the gauge and ecm is on the engine. The water gets hot on the engine, but does not pump any of the hot water into the radiator to activate the fan sensor, therefore, no fan activation. If the fan was triggered by the ecm, in other words, turned on and off by the ecm via the ect sensor, then the fan would work, even If the water wasn't flowing into the radiator, of course it still wouldn't cool.... LOL No Flow! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes top up the overflow bottle and run up the front end on a hillside ,,. That will purge the air and get it pumping again. At least keep some bottled water with you on your rides....

Reactions: MaverickMaxXRS

·
Registered
876 Posts
OP did you ever figure out what was causing the random fan not working issue. Mine was working fine all day today and then pegged and the fan wouldn't work until I shut it off and restarted it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Man whats going on with the coolant systems on these things, been seeing a lot of issue's lately. guess the sensors are just that sensitive on them. So the fan override is for turning the fan "on" when you want it on?? Not "off" like some offroad rigs for deep water crossing?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts