Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so with 7 hrs on machine we went to the Paiute trail in Utah. we put 14 hrs on it there. thankfully the bolt was no issue and no belt issues to report ( now I wonder if I should even have dealer replace bolt after the torture it withstood?)

we rode up to over 10500 feet, we run wide open for long distances, we did whoops, but the interesting part was the abuse and torture it took with no issues.

we come down the 10500 foot mountain and went up it in the rain, tight steep turns, rocks everywhere, mud all over the place, water pouring down the roads by the bucket full and I was thankful for engine breaking...lol...

we climbed constant for 6-7 miles 12-28 degree grades, in switchbacks, and fully loaded, 4 passengers, gear,etc from dead stop we got up to 35 mph at the top in low gear, I also ran some in high gear, we went across slick backs, up rocky revenes crawling away, got the motor so hot the plastics was near the melting point. I mean we did it all, I did reach 75 mph on flat ground once briefly. this was miles of climbing, a lot of pretty steep. all out desert flat high speed run, even asphalt runs to twisted rutted out inclined angled trails..

there was not a single issue. I must admit the whole time I was coming down a 10 000 foot mountain in near blinding rain and fog, I was not thinking about the potential bolt issue...lol.. but no issues. so we really put it thru its paces, from mild to wild..i have not a single issue, other than the reapinting of my max to dirt brown, had fun, enjoyed it and loved the max. the comfort alone is worth it. I did post a quick picture in a show us your max thread on here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice post. Thank you for the feedback! Any clearance issues. To be expected with the wheel base but bad, not so bad...?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah I have had one hell of a time in my max as well, already have 175 miles on it and plan on taking it to Silverton Colorado this weekend. Im just waiting to hit the 200 mile marker and change fluids. So far I think its a better buy than the rzr 900 and well out performs it. The wildcats wheelbase was way to long for me to even consider. I've heard rumors of a rzr 4 1000 but I think it price tag will be about 3 to 4 grand more than the two seater, that is way I didn't even bother to wait and see what goodies its going to be loaded with. I am a happy owner as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice post. Thank you for the feedback! Any clearance issues. To be expected with the wheel base but bad, not so bad...?
not unless you go rock crawling, i have rubbed bottom a couple of times but i was pretty surprised at how much clearance I still have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok, so with 7 hrs on machine we went to the Paiute trail in Utah. we put 14 hrs on it there. thankfully the bolt was no issue and no belt issues to report ( now I wonder if I should even have dealer replace bolt after the torture it withstood?)

we rode up to over 10500 feet, we run wide open for long distances, we did whoops, but the interesting part was the abuse and torture it took with no issues.

we come down the 10500 foot mountain and went up it in the rain, tight steep turns, rocks everywhere, mud all over the place, water pouring down the roads by the bucket full and I was thankful for engine breaking...lol...

we climbed constant for 6-7 miles 12-28 degree grades, in switchbacks, and fully loaded, 4 passengers, gear,etc from dead stop we got up to 35 mph at the top in low gear, I also ran some in high gear, we went across slick backs, up rocky revenes crawling away, got the motor so hot the plastics was near the melting point. I mean we did it all, I did reach 75 mph on flat ground once briefly. this was miles of climbing, a lot of pretty steep. all out desert flat high speed run, even asphalt runs to twisted rutted out inclined angled trails..

there was not a single issue. I must admit the whole time I was coming down a 10 000 foot mountain in near blinding rain and fog, I was not thinking about the potential bolt issue...lol.. but no issues. so we really put it thru its paces, from mild to wild..i have not a single issue, other than the reapinting of my max to dirt brown, had fun, enjoyed it and loved the max. the comfort alone is worth it. I did post a quick picture in a show us your max thread on here.

Sounds like a great ride... I was just south of you in Duck Creeck Village and over in the Pangiutch area. I've got 500 miles on my Max now and very happy with it!! After this past weekend I've thrown about everything at it and it has performed flawlessly. I did smoke the clutch belt just a little getting through some mud. I was in High, should have been in Low. My fault...and I'm gonna change the belt as a precaution. I guess I need to look into the "clutch bolt" maybe I should replace mine while I have it apart.. ?? But all in all I love the MAX... :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Gald your trip went without a hitch.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

Thats very promising to hear you didn't encounter any belt issues due to so much climbing etc.....I think we can assume the additional air inlet for the CVT's on the 2014's is doing a good job at keeping the temps down. I have a 2013 XRS and I was driving in a similar situation 7-10 miles of 10-20% grade and by the time I got to the top, my belt temp was around 205'. It cooled down to 170' really quick once I got onto level or down hill roads. But I could only imagine the added load on the Max due to the added weight....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The max has an added cvt cooling duct built in the cvt cover. Check it out on the parts diagram.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The max has an added cvt cooling duct built in the cvt cover. Check it out on the parts diagram.
Not just the MAX but all of the Maverick's for 2014...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I bet the 2014 CVT cover will bolt right up to the 2013's!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The issue is more so with the rest of the ducting and interior panels. They are different between the 2013's and 2014's to allow the secondary inlet to come thru the drivers side lower panel (below the seat) and rear panel (behind the seat) and also were the air inlet/filter mounts. However, you can purchase just the inlet separately from the CVT cover and then run your own ducting and probably have the same results with some interior panel trimming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just took my new max out to silver lake sand dunes. put maybe 5 hours on it. climbing the hills with my wife and my twin boys. raced a jagged and a xp 4 seater. I didn't pull away but slowly kept gaining inches on them. I love the eco button. smooths out the gas pedal slapping when you go over the rough stuff. never bottomed out. suspension puts my old rzr s to shame. big horn tires are the best ever all around tire. just need a windshield and roof. it was blowing about 30 mph winds and 50 degrees

·
Registered
119 Posts
just took my new max out to silver lake sand dunes. put maybe 5 hours on it. climbing the hills with my wife and my twin boys. raced a jagged and a xp 4 seater. I didn't pull away but slowly kept gaining inches on them. I love the eco button. smooths out the gas pedal slapping when you go over the rough stuff. never bottomed out. suspension puts my old rzr s to shame. big horn tires are the best ever all around tire. just need a windshield and roof. it was blowing about 30 mph winds and 50 degrees
I've been here at Silver lake since 8-29-13 will be leaving tomorrow. Wish I'd have known you were gonna be here. I woulda made sure I took my Max out that day. Did you race any popo's up the hills?? I just leave them in the dust about half way up and I'm running 30" tires. Deffinatly turn your rebound screws all the way in the you won't have to use the Eco button over the whoops. That thing kills your power.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had no clearance issues, really its the angle of attack you make, I think the whole trip I heard the skid plate get scrapped 2 times. I was in a decent rock field also, 1-2 foot steps, basketball sized rocks, again, angle you ride up that matters. I had no issues on clearances.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 things,

I don't care for the oem roof, if rocks should fall from above the fabric is not as strong as solid metal, and its a pain to roll it up and down to trailer it. also I can see why some like that sport low delete option thing. I can see where more hp/rpm is good, however I did not need it or feel the need, but I could see why some can and it may be added on the future just because.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
no belt issues either, did not get it smoking either, however I had a spare, even though you must take out back seat to get it, which in the rain I hoping it held...lol..and it did. I did break it in by the book on the belt, not sure if that helped or not. but no issues on belt. could not have asked for a better machine and how it performed, hope it continues to do that good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts