Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thanks everyone. im taking it back today. WAY too much money for these kinds of issues. if ANYONE hears of the break in chip directly from BRP PLEASE contact me asap! abrant14 @gmail.com!

p.s. 1000 acres of private riding in Milan Michigan if anyone is near by your welcome to come play!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok hear me out... i spoke again with the dealership today, i was seconds away from bringing in and they told me that they had another person who's bike had just hit ten hours and the break in chip was deactivated right at the ten hour mark... here is my possibly theory, please tell me if its possible or a joke..

With the maverick being a first year model, and having the clutch bolt issue from the start that ended up in a recall, is it possible that the first ten thousand or whatever needed the recall but everything they made after that has this chip to protect the engine and clutch a little more? am i stupid for thinking that? after posting on this site i have found a total of 3 other people who's dealer has told them the same thing. and only ONE that had the problem fixed at ten hours, AND this ONE person is the only one i didnt speak with directly, this is just what the dealership told me.

p.s. anyone has the direct line for BRP Can-Am offroad customer service? every time i call the number i get online i get a high call volume message and after 20 minutes or so its hard to put your life on hold to wait for them to answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ok hear me out... i spoke again with the dealership today, i was seconds away from bringing in and they told me that they had another person who's bike had just hit ten hours and the break in chip was deactivated right at the ten hour mark... here is my possibly theory, please tell me if its possible or a joke..

With the maverick being a first year model, and having the clutch bolt issue from the start that ended up in a recall, is it possible that the first ten thousand or whatever needed the recall but everything they made after that has this chip to protect the engine and clutch a little more? am i stupid for thinking that? after posting on this site i have found a total of 3 other people who's dealer has told them the same thing. and only ONE that had the problem fixed at ten hours, AND this ONE person is the only one i didnt speak with directly, this is just what the dealership told me.

p.s. anyone has the direct line for BRP Can-Am offroad customer service? every time i call the number i get online i get a high call volume message and after 20 minutes or so its hard to put your life on hold to wait for them to answer.

to clarify, the other two guys had not hit the ten hour mark yet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine hit 76mph with me and the service tech in it, If your seeing 60 mph and 8000rpm your secondary clutch is not shifting out right. I personally would take it to another dealer and have them reprogram the ecu and make sure you're using the black key (performance key) and maybe have them check the key and make sure its programmed correctly. The primary could be off as well but I think its more than likely the secondary

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah, if it hits 8000 RPM, then you should be in the mid 70 mph bracket. There's no way that the computer or a "chip" could make the CVT systems not upshift all the way. The CVT system is purely mechanical. The only way the computer could limit your miles per hour is by closing the throttle blade back to keep the RPMs down. And in that case at 60 mph it would be what, 7000 RPM, maybe 6700 I don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, if it hits 8000 RPM, then you should be in the mid 70 mph bracket. There's no way that the computer or a "chip" could make the CVT systems not upshift all the way. The CVT system is purely mechanical. The only way the computer could limit your miles per hour is by closing the throttle blade back to keep the RPMs down. And in that case at 60 mph it would be what, 7000 RPM, maybe 6700 I don't know.
i was hoping you would say that. i guess the only way to know 100% is to speak with BRP, and after everything ive done between here and the dealership that is literally the only thing left. thanks for everything,everyone basically confirmed my gut feeling!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
is there another can am service dept around ?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
The only way it is not the clutch is a speed limiter. Take a Kawasaki Teryx, it has a 50 mph limiter, you can do change the RPM in clutching etc but it will not go over 50 even if you raise or lower RPM in clutch.

So it is either the clutch as mentioned or some electrical crap with that light you have putting a speed limiter but not RPM limiter in place.

Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No other dealers near by... this sucks so bad. Im taking it back today. anybody have a reputable dealer number that i could call today just to chat with? location does not matter as i will not be bring my bike into them, just want to speak with someone who knows a lot about the mavericks? anyone?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
No other dealers near by... this sucks so bad. Im taking it back today. anybody have a reputable dealer number that i could call today just to chat with? location does not matter as i will not be bring my bike into them, just want to speak with someone who knows a lot about the mavericks? anyone?
What dealer is open on a sunday?

How about just riding for 10 hours and prove them wrong?

How about all these guys on here trying to tell you something is wrong?

Bottom line, no break in chip or whatever, something is wrong with your maverick.

Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What dealer is open on a sunday?

How about just riding for 10 hours and prove them wrong?

How about all these guys on here trying to tell you something is wrong?

Bottom line, no break in chip or whatever, something is wrong with your maverick.

Todd
I'm currently at the dealer. Just proved them wrong. Really just proved the one mechanic guy wrong, my sales rep has been extremely helpful. We pulled another xrs off the floor and it shot right to 75mph. Proving a head mechanic wrong on something I know nothing about feels good!

But it was all of you that gave me the confidence to bring it in and tell them they were wrong and be able to back up why I thought this. Thanks for everything everyone!

Conclusion: no break in chip.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm currently at the dealer. Just proved them wrong. Really just proved the one mechanic guy wrong, my sales rep has been extremely helpful. We pulled another xrs off the floor and it shot right to 75mph. Proving a head mechanic wrong on something I know nothing about feels good!

But it was all of you that gave me the confidence to bring it in and tell them they were wrong and be able to back up why I thought this. Thanks for everything everyone!

I would be real scared to bring my maverick in that dealer for anywork if the head mechanic don't know what hes talking about ? WOW . lol

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Which dealer was this? I live in Michigan too and would like to know which dealer you went to.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
u want them to service yours to , lol jk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
so what did the dealer find out what was causing the issue?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.