Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maverick Dalton Clutch kit

Why do you need one or who needs one? Every Can Am Maverick owner who plans on keeping the stock clutch in place needs one. Even a stock machine gets gains, but adjustability is another benefit for future tire changes, etc. Some of the gains are to correct the RPM drop then climbing back out that the factory clutch calibration does. Fixing this on a stock machine nets you on average about 2/10ths of a second quicker and 2-3 mph faster in 400 ft. measured by laser triggers and radar gun. The kit also aids the stock machine in backshifting so you can climb better, it gets the belt back shifted to a better ratio on the clutches quicker (which is the key to not slipping)

Another important fact is that it gets your clutch taken apart and cleaned and installed properly to help prevent the problems that early models had. The assembly and torque procedures are important.

Thru times testing the Maverick in stock form seems to have the most power around 7650-7800 RPM during shift phase and this kits puts the RPM there and holds it there, not backing off like the stock set up does.

Anyone who buys larger tires and is planning on keeping the stock clutch would benefit from the kit as well. Big tires drag engine RPM down because the stock clutch with larger tires will shift out too quickly and drop the RPM. You want it to shift out slower thus staying in low gear longer if you will. Also the addition of the stiffer secondary spring will aid in better backshifting and less belt slippage with the larger tires. Same principle applies to people who load their vehicle or do activity like duning where the sand itself is a load.

The kit comes with a owners manual with all the set ups in it for elevation, tires, sand etc. The manual and adjustability makes it flexible for later changes.

Also for the larger tire guys, like heavy 28" tires and larger tires there is even a optional spring the Black Violet torsional spring to give you better performance to match your tires.

It is highly recommended anyone who buys this kit follow the instructions very carefully, as they pertain to torqueing the stock primary bolt or the new primary stud along with the secondary bolt. The installation procedures are very important.

The secondary bolt is considered a one time use bolt because it is a torque to yield bolt meaning it stretches. We are offering new BRP bolts as a option.

Also you will need a clutch holder for the primary and secondary to hold it while you torque the bolts. Instead of selling you two holders, one for the primary and one for the secondary we are selling you one, we found the arctic cat clutch holding tool works great on both. You can see the use of it in our install video and get the proper torquing methods there as well.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Maverick Dalton Clutch kit

Why do you need one or who needs one? Every Can Am Maverick owner who plans on keeping the stock clutch in place and has either stock engine or minor engine mods needs one. The total stock machine gets the least gain but the gains are to correct the RPM drop then climbing back out that the factory clutch calibration does. Fixing this on a stock machine nets you on average about 2/10ths of a second quicker and 2-3 mph faster in 400 ft. measured by laser triggers and radar gun. The kit also aids the stock machine in backshifting so you can climb better, it gets it back down in lower gear quicker.

Thru times testing the Maverick in stock form seems to have the most power around 7650-7000 RPM during shift phase and this kits puts the RPM there and holds it there, not backing off like the stock set up does.

Anyone who buys larger tires and is planning on keeping the stock clutch would benefit from the kit as well. Big tires drag engine RPM down because the stock clutch with larger tires will shift out too quickly and drop the RPM. You want it to shift out slower thus staying in low gear longer if you will. Also the addition of the stiffer secondary spring will aid in better backshifting and less belt slippage with the larger tires. Same priciple applies to people who load their vehicle or do activity like duning where the sand itself is a load.

The kit comes with a owners manual with all the set ups in it for elevation, tires, sand etc.

Also for the larger tire guys, like heavy 28" tires and larger tires there is even a optional spring the Black Violet torsional spring to give you better performance to match your tires.

It is highly recommended anyone who buys this kit follow the instructions as they pertain to torquing the stock primary bolt or the new primary stud along with the secondary bolt.

The secondary bolt is considered a one time use bolt because it is a torque to yield bolt meaning it stretches. We are offering new BRP bolts as a option.

Also you will need a clutch holder for the primary and secondary to hold it while you torque the bolts. Instead of selling you two holders, one for the primary and one for the secondary we are selling you one, we found the arctic cat clutch holding tool works great on both. You can see the use of it in our install video and get the proper torquing methods there as well.
I think you meant to say 7650 to 7700 RPM's...

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
7750-7850 , is peak power in the book - I think

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7750-7850 , is peak power in the book - I think
here is the info about the pricing from Dalton

Compare price of stock weights to these, just get the price off the brp on line store (usa is probably different)...but it soon shows what price difference is.
Dalton bushing is developed with an expensive new material and substantial tooling and molding charges created a few bucks more per kit than some of our other Can am kits....the other can am kits are well known and that is the main jist of it

I could throw together some cheap steel flyweights and cheap bushings and have smaller cost...we could use no rivets or adjustments...we could sell 6 different kits that everyone would always wonder "which version of kit should I order"...and I could do it all and have something worthless if I changed tire sizes, etc......but what we have comes with a bible that was tested on the same vehicle and allows you much better quality and adjustability than that....this works...and it still works after you change something like mods or tires.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Im sure the kit is badass and helps a ton and is really cool to work with, I was just saying at 250 a kit they might not move as fast if they were maybe 175$ , u know what im saying big todd !!

sounds like if Dalton went thru all this testing and has real good quality stuff maybe he should include the secondary bolt that's - needed - in the kit also !! :)

who knows I might pick one up after 500 miles and see what it does !

Compare price of stock weights to these, just get the price off the brp on line store (usa is probably different)...but it soon shows what price difference is.
Dalton bushing is developed with an expensive new material and substantial tooling and molding charges created a few bucks more per kit than some of our other Can am kits....the other can am kits are well known and that is the main jist of it

I could throw together some cheap steel flyweights and cheap bushings and have smaller cost...we could use no rivets or adjustments...we could sell 6 different kits that everyone would always wonder "which version of kit should I order"...and I could do it all and have something worthless if I changed tire sizes, etc......but what we have comes with a bible that was tested on the same vehicle and allows you much better quality and adjustability than that....this works...and it still works after you change something like mods or tires.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sure the kit is badass and helps a ton and is really cool to work with, I was just saying at 250 a kit they might not move as fast if they were maybe 175$ , u know what im saying big todd !!

sounds like if Dalton went thru all this testing and real good quality stuff maybe he should include the secondary bolt that's - needed - in the kit also !! :)
I'm sure they would sell better there but you can't lose money on it, They are sold to distributors and dealers.

Another brand kit is less quality, cost $50 more and is not adjustable.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'm sure they would sell better there but you can't lose money on it, They are sold to distributors and dealers.

Another brand kit is less quality, cost $50 more and is not adjustable.
ok lets do a group buy , lol :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Can't wait to give my input when it's in mine..I'm pumped to think mine will run right now!!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Can't wait to give my input when it's in mine..I'm pumped to think mine will run right now!!
cant wait to hear what u think , all-tho , u had more of an issue then the rest , but let us know !

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
im going to send u a check for 5000$ , send me back 2k and u keep the extra 500 cash for the troubles and send me 10 kits, please send me all your info thx !! :)

lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What you waiting on?
Waiting on canam.. There sending me new clutches. Dale at dalton sent the clutch kit to my dealer and they got it, so now it's just the new clutches wich I thought would have bin here today. The dealer is just gonna put the kit in the new clutches and be done with it, and the clutch stud update. Dale and my dealer talked for a good half hour I herd and went over everything....thanks again dale from dalton industries ..scott

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Ummm. Any Aftermarket manufacturer is going to be cheaper than OEM. Dalton has no where near the overhead cost of BRP plus OEMs are notorious for huge markups for service parts and accessories.That's really not a good comparison to use IMHO. I'd rather see this kit compared to other aftermarket kits. That to me is your true competition. If your kit offers more for the same price than the other aftermarket kits then its a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts