Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought X model, put 2 light hours on her, next day starter fails. Dealer replaces starter with updated version and updates clutch bolts while they have it there. Put 6 hours on her at the dunes and everything is fine. I changed the oil because I was going for a long weekend at the dunes. Get there with paddles on it, drive for 30 min and transmission just spins after an water break. Get towed back 20 miles, waste 2 days at dunes. Bring to dealer, they claim a cam in the clutch failed. 1 week for the part and obviously under warranty. I was waiting for them to say paddles voided warranty and I would show them the countless pictures in the ads with mav going threw the sand. Anyways has anyone experienced this clutch break???

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
they told u a cam in the clutch failed ? never heard of that no, but have heard of bolts backing out

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have a sneaky suspicion they are covering there butts. Part of the recall for the starter is to replace the secondary bolt and loctite it in because you have to remove it to get to the starter. I bet the bolt backed out enough for the helix to slip off of the cogs and the shaft chewed up the notches in the helix to the point that it just spins now.....I would ask to see what was damaged. If this is what happened, it is a case of the dealer not properly re-installing the secondary and torquing it properly and using the required loctite.....just my hunch.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
exactly what happened!!!!
I have a sneaky suspicion they are covering they butts. Part of the recall for the starter is to replace the secondary bolt and loctite it in because you have to remove it to get to the starter. I bet the bolt backed out enough for the helix to slip off of the cogs and the shaft chewed up the notches in the helix to the point that it just spend now.....I would ask to see what was damaged. If this is what happened, it is a case of the dealer not properly re-installing the secondary and torquing it properly and using the required loctite.....just my hunch.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
let us know what you find out and sorry for your misfortune. It sounds like more of a dealer issue than a Maverick issue. First off, the Maverick should have never been released to you without the recall on the starter being done prior to you taking posession since the recall was released several months ago. That alone tells me the dealer is not doing their job correctly.

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
.. I was waiting for them to say paddles voided warranty and I would show them the countless pictures in the ads with mav going threw the sand..
Since he brought it up...

Anyone ever had an issue like this? I might drop mine off with paddles one day. Got me thinking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The bolt backed out of my secondary. They said it was because at first can am used 5 slippery washers on the secondary and it made the bolt back out. Now they just use one washer. Since they reinstalled it I haven't had any problems yet. But I just made it to one hundred miles since they repaired it. I know it's frustrating especially when it's brand new and you just want to ride. Hopefully after this you won't have any more problems. I feel pretty confident in mine now

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Liars, there are no slippery washers used on the secondary, only the primary. The secondary keys into the input shaft of the transmission. It's pointless to have slippery washers on a bolt and secondary that can not spin.

Now the primary has slippery washers but it uses a stud and nut instead of a bolt. Also the slippery washer not slipping have caused the bolt to tighten and snap, not loosen and back off.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Guys I wouldn't worry about the paddles. They sell paddles as a can-am maverick accessory in their catalog. That's a hard argument on their side if they rose an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I have a sneaky suspicion they are covering there butts. Part of the recall for the starter is to replace the secondary bolt and loctite it in because you have to remove it to get to the starter. I bet the bolt backed out enough for the helix to slip off of the cogs and the shaft chewed up the notches in the helix to the point that it just spins now.....I would ask to see what was damaged. If this is what happened, it is a case of the dealer not properly re-installing the secondary and torquing it properly and using the required loctite.....just my hunch.
x3. same thing happened to me last weekend. But i was able to reinstall my secondary clutch bolt twice and dune like a madman with the damaged cam. I called the dealer and they said more than likely mine would not be covered since i have owned my mav for almost a year. So i fired of a fawk you letter to BRP and now ordering STM clutches.

·
Registered
401 Posts
x3. same thing happened to me last weekend. But i was able to reinstall my secondary clutch bolt twice and dune like a madman with the damaged cam. I called the dealer and they said more than likely mine would not be covered since i have owned my mav for almost a year. So i fired of a fawk you letter to BRP and now ordering STM clutches.
that sounds like some serious BS - it should be covered.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would say you should have grounds for Warranty Mega. If your dealer performed the recall it could be argued that he did not follow the correct procedure when reinstalling the secondary bolt. All you really likely need is your Helix (Cam) ,bolt and possibly spring replaced, if the dealer has any backbone at all he should be able to get you the parts on warranty being is that it is a know issue that was addressed in the recall.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I would say you should have grounds for Warranty Mega. If your dealer performed the recall it could be argued that he did not follow the correct procedure when reinstalling the secondary bolt. All you really likely need is your Helix (Cam) ,bolt and possibly spring replaced, if the dealer has any backbone at all he should be able to get you the parts on warranty being is that it is a know issue that was addressed in the recall.
i am tired of this clutch b.s. and pulling the trigger on 2k worth of clutches today. If i pushed warranty again at the end of the day i would still have a weak heat producing clutch. Time to take matters into my own hands.

·
Registered
791 Posts
i am tired of this clutch b.s. and pulling the trigger on 2k worth of clutches today. If i pushed warranty again at the end of the day i would still have a weak heat producing clutch. Time to take matters into my own hands.
Yeah I hear ya. My stock clutches are sitting on a shelf in my garage since new. I was more just saying like Glamis suggested, it would be nice to have all the new parts so you have a working set of stock clutches to put back on the Mav when you sell.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have my stock primary on the shelf at home, and the secondary is at the stealership. They won't let me have it unless they install it and it has to be in good working condition. Problem is I have full STM setup and they can't use factory secondary with STM primary. They've put 3 clutches on for me and all 3 fell off.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My dealer put my CVTech on for me when my primary bolt broke and handed me a brand new stock primary to take home. If BRP did a warranty on you cvt system, then that secondary is yours to do with as you please! The dealer does not have BRP standing over their shoulder watching them install everything. Either your dealer is so honest that they don't feel comfortable doing that, or they're so dishonest that they want to keep your secondary to sell to somebody else and make nothing but profit on it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts