Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this will be my first SXS, I was wondering how you guys break them in. I have been a buggy and dirt bike guy all my life so I was wondering if the break in is any different?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would drive it like I stole it but change the oil aftert the first trip and then at about a 100 miles. I would cut mfg service recomendations in half after that, cheap insurance!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first trip is going to be 7 days long. Will it make a 7 day trip or should I change the oil in the middle of the trip? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm going to run 1 or 2 tanks of gas through it running it easy. It has 2 keys, black is full speed, gray is limited to 42 or 45 mph. So if you use the gray key, it makes it easier to control your self. Also, it's good to do several hot and cold cycles. Start it up, let it warm up, then drive it for 20 minutes. Then let it cool for 1-3 hours. Then do that again a couple of times.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With bikes and rails I would usually start out with the warm it up, cool it down about 10 times to get everything to seal up, then an easy 20 minute ride, cool down, then a couple of hard runs. After that I would call it broken in. I will do the warm up cool down first, then run a easy full tank through.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The Can-am rep told me on Sunday something most people don't know to do. That is also to break in this new type of belt properly. He said to drive it for about 45 minutes with varied speeds so the belt gets nice and warm. Then let it cool down completely.This will give the belt a longer life by tempering it. Has something to do with the rubber compounds.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
That sounds good to me. The manual says 10 hours with the 45 mph key, that's 300 miles at a 30 mph average! That's insane! Way too much!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
With bikes and rails I would usually start out with the warm it up, cool it down about 10 times to get everything to seal up, then an easy 20 minute ride, cool down, then a couple of hard runs. After that I would call it broken in. I will do the warm up cool down first, then run a easy full tank through.

Did you get your's yet?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to pick it up on Saturday morning. Dealer said it should be ready to pick up Friday, but I have too much going on with work and a Xmas party.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That sounds good to me. The manual says 10 hours with the 45 mph key, that's 300 miles at a 30 mph average! That's insane! Way too much!
I agree. I think putting it thru some heat cycles by letting it get up to running temp and completely cooling down before taking it out for a ride helps. Then you can run a tank of gas thru it under the load of riding, after that run the crap out of it by masing the throttle.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I am going to pick it up on Saturday morning. Dealer said it should be ready to pick up Friday, but I have too much going on with work and a Xmas party.
Mine should also be ready by then.The CA rep told me it could ship out as soon as today and but certainly by tomorrow. He said they take 1 day to get here from Texas. So I'm hoping hereby Thursday or Friday and ready for pick up on Sat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is good to get 2-3 heat cycles on the belt. Run it 10 min medium varying speeds then let it cool completely. Good to just do this around the block if you can before you go out. Then like you stole it. Only need 5 to 10 miles to break in total.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
We have followed this Process of Breaking in Motors for a while now with Great Results and I believe the Old Pussy footing it to break something in is old School and is no longer applicable. So Basically Run it Hard. Heres a Link to check it out.
The Problem With "Easy Break In" ...
The honed crosshatch pattern in the cylinder bore acts like a file to allow the rings to wear. The rings quickly wear down the "peaks" of this roughness, regardless of how hard the engine is run.

There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Alright! That makes sense. I've heard the break it in hard, and it will run hard line before, but this article fully explains why, and it makes good sense. Thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe in Moto man - basically take it home and do a an oil change right off the bat since there is synthetic in it. But what to replace it with? I know non synthetic - any advice?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts