Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,
I was just watching the Great American Short Course Series and the driver from Bronco Racing mentioned an upgraded brake option from Wilwood for his car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Does anyone has information about these brakes. I have been looking to upgrade from stock for some time now. He mentioned how the brake setup was improving his performance on the track. Any info on his brakes or another option?
Thanks

·
Registered
22 XRS Turbo RR
51 Posts
I have found with other machines a simple Brake pad material change might be all u need. Check out EBC pads.
They will wear your rotors faster but then u can get better rotors.
Think you will get noticeably better braking performance.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Super ATV has bigger rotors and 2X the strength of the stock brake lines. Most of the issue with the brakes is just that the brakes feel soft. They are not a power brake system, and will not feel like a normal car. I have 37 inch tires and my Max is extra heavy. When I hit the brakes it stops fast, and I just have the upgraded Rotor/ front and rear brake lines from Super ATV. 18 inch wheel required for that rotor.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I installed the streamline front rotors and put EBC pads on. Night and Day difference for $225. As stated above the biggest problem with the Can Am breaks is that the lines are all hose which expands as you push on the pedal vs compressing the caliper. Save alot of money start with the pads then try a larger rotor if not satisfied. If you have the time bend up some hard brake line and you will stop on a dime.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have found with other machines a simple Brake pad material change might be all u need. Check out EBC pads.
They will wear your rotors faster but then u can get better rotors.
Think you will get noticeably better braking performance.
Nah were 5 years into this car and thats been attempted by MANY with minimal if any improvement. Bleededing helps a bit, but at the end of the day factory Can-am brakes still SUCK compared to most everything out there. There is NO simple cheap bandaid that will turn them into great brakes.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I also dont subscribe to the notion the brakes are mushy because they are non-power. Thats BS. Mushiness is due to the undersized master cylinder combined with soft expanding lines. I have plenty on Non-power assist brakes on things like bikes, motorcycles, quads, etc that are NOT power and NOT the least bit mushy. The two are mutually exclusive

·
Official Site Vendor
8,753 Posts
Best bang for the $$

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went with extreme performance wilwood kit. Requires 15” rim. Awesome kit, stops me with 35s and and level 5 Aftermarket Assassins tune. Give them a call good guys, they will explain the whole set up.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
912 Posts
My factory brakes aren't squishy now that they're bled. The only part of the Wilwood kit I'd be interested in is the 4 pot calipers, otherwise there are larger rotors available for less money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Front calipers have bigger pistons and residual valves for both master cylinders. Pads are thicker too. I agree try bleeding first, you may get some improvement? The kit from extreme is not just rotors and calipers it’s a thought out improvement.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I wonder how well the calipers hold up off-road. A lot of their offerings don’t have any seals around the pistons

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure about that. I would think there has to be an O ring or some type of seal between piston and bore??

·
Registered
444 Posts
Talking about the outside seal. Race cars burn them off so a lot of aftermarket calipers don’t have them.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
912 Posts
Front calipers have bigger pistons and residual valves for both master cylinders. Pads are thicker too. I agree try bleeding first, you may get some improvement? The kit from extreme is not just rotors and calipers it’s a thought out improvement.
What brake pads does the kit use? I see your point and I'm kind of coming around on the product. I was initially turned off by the fact that the kit uses stock MC's but it looks like a lot more than just some bigger rotors. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Matched from Wilwood. Also comes with mounting brackets. It’s very slick set up. In my opinion the best improvement for the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super ATV has bigger rotors and 2X the strength of the stock brake lines. Most of the issue with the brakes is just that the brakes feel soft. They are not a power brake system, and will not feel like a normal car. I have 37 inch tires and my Max is extra heavy. When I hit the brakes it stops fast, and I just have the upgraded Rotor/ front and rear brake lines from Super ATV. 18 inch wheel required for that rotor.
Is there a part number on brake lines from super atv I can’t find anything please help thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts