Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new mav a little over a week ago. 2013 1000r, and took it out for the first time to do some trail ridding and had a blast. Was very impressed with the power but was pretty easy on it putting up and down dirt trails to break it in properly. Had fun it it was jumping up to 55mph easy and then I would back off and only did this a couple times to see what it had in it.

Took it out this weekend to Riley ranch on the Oregon dunes for the second ride. rolled it out of the trailer and took it up to pay for the camp site and it felt a little dogish so I putted around and let it warm up. Got on it a little on a long gravel straight only to be disappointed. It jumped up to 40mph and then super slowly kept accelerating 41......42...........43 if you get what I mean, and this was with my foot to the floor. And YES I had the proper performance key in it and I had it on sport mode. I tried the other key and switching from sport mode and combinations and it was slower of course. If felt like all the bottom end was there but I would get to 40 and pretty much top out there or maybe 45-50 if I would have held it to the floor for 10 seconds but I didn't want to do that. During this rpm felt like they were staying really low by the sound but I can't monitor them with my 1000r digital gauge.

The only thing I did in between rides was install a small 150 watt amp on the glove box of the factory battery running 2 tower 6.5 inch speakers. Could this have caused something? I did unhook the amp at one point this weekend cus I thought it was maybe causing a problem and there was no change

I'm pissed and gonna freak if my dealership can't fix this quick and get the power up to where it should be! If you guys have any ideas please let me know. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can set your digital gauge to read rpms, instructions are in your manual. When you start it, does it say performance key and sport mode on the screen?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to set the gauge to rpm's and run it up the street and update you guys. Yes it says performance mode and sport key before I start it. The weird thing is that it was running perfectly on the first trip out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just in case Did you have your seat belt clicked in properly, I have had situations where it's not popped in all the way
n it's slow as crap

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thanks for checking but I did have the seat belt locked. It definitely wasn't any of the dummy features because at all the get up and go for the first 40mph but just wouldn't continue accelerating from there like it should.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you are getting 8k on the tach then it is probably something in the clutch. Personally I would take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ahhh, ok just checking I have freaked out because of that seat belt thing before, not easy to remember after a couple Blue Devils :/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it will definitely be going to the dealership to get fixed, it is under warranty for 24 months. But I was just really curious what is going on and figured you guys would have some ideas. Again hopefully something simple, cus I want this thing back ready to go full power. Limited power is no fun on the sand!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
are you sure your not in LOW gear cuz it tops out around 42mph ,

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha thanks for covering all the basics guys but I'm not that much of a Dip chit. I have had a couple built banshee's for years and am pretty familiar with the side x sides just new to the Mav.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The ECU monitors battery voltage and if it is low it will do a few things. Most notably is it will raise you RPMs at idle to charge the battery. So if your RPMs are over 1500 it may think you have a low battery charge. It also limits power output as well.

There are also a dozen or so fault codes that will limit power output. So my guess is you either caused a fault code or there is a sensor out of whack or wiring/connection issue.

I suggest you pick up a manual and read they the electrical control section.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Take to the dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will be scheduleing an appointment tomorrow, Its about time for the 10hr service anyway. If the battery went a little low while i was intalling and testing the stereo and it threw a check engine code and then cleared, could it still limit the power because the code is still in the memory??

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Not sure. Try disconnecting the battery and reconnect to see if it helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys I found the problem.. Something stupid of course. When I mounted the amp on top of my glovebox I used a big water resistand bag to wrap the amp and part of the glovebox so the water that got under would run off. Part of the bag had sucked part of the way into the intake hole that is located back there by the back of the glovebox and was blocking the majority of the airflow, so I'm sure it was running really rich. Got it out on the street and got it right up to 65 and let off. I knew it was back:)Thanks for everyone who tried to help me out

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Well guys I found the problem.. Something stupid of course. When I mounted the amp on top of my glovebox I used a big water resistand bag to wrap the amp and part of the glovebox so the water that got under would run off. Part of the bag had sucked part of the way into the intake hole that is located back there by the back of the glovebox and was blocking the majority of the airflow, so I'm sure it was running really rich. Got it out on the street and got it right up to 65 and let off. I knew it was back:)Thanks for everyone who tried to help me out
Check your airfilter, it could be caved in from the engine trying to suck air.

Also, be prepared for a $300+ bill and crappy work done for the 10 hour service by the dealer. I highly suggest doing the service yourself, just to know it was done right and it will save you a couple hundo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts