Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Mav for a 120 km ride with a bunch of RZR900 riders in the Western Australian bush around Perth. As expected the power was great and it handled fantastic in the whoops.

However it was very disappointing in the thick sand. As soon as I get on the power, it was all over the show. It wouldn't keep a straight line. The Mav threw me off the track a few times, while the RZR' s were cruising along at 80-90km's per hour, no problem. If I slowed down , it was worse. I had to keep the speed up in the thick sand tracks to keep it straight, but it felt very hairy at 85 km/h with the nose pulling all over the place.

What can be wrong, where do I start to check to fix the problem.

I also noticed, when I give throttle hard, it pulls severely to the right, and it then feels like the entire body is drifting around unpredictably. A totally unsafe feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
961 Posts
I would run 2wd. The way the Maverick front diff would lock would probably cause you to pull all over, depending on when the Visco lock kicks in, it takes a few turns for the front diff to lock up vs the Poolaris which is locked when selected. Two different front differential systems so you can't compare. Did you air the tires down?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine wanders a little in Glamis. It might be partly the Bighorn's fault. Also, check your rear toe in. Especially if it pulls to the side under power. I checked mine and it was off. I then used a pipe as a straight edge to see which side was off. Hold the straight edge against the side of the wheel, and then measure the gap between it and the body panel behind the front wheel. The pass side had I think 3/4" more gap then the drivers. I then put the tape measure between the inside of the rear tires to check toe. It had a 1/4" toe out. I set it at an 1/8" or 1/4" toe in, using the straight edge to keep it even side to side. It handles much better now.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Even with the xp's in 4 wheel there really only in 2 wheel drive unless there spinning. The all wheel drive will only grab if it senses it spinning, so they may be kinda going through that sand in 2 wheel kinda sorta if ya know what I mean..

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
lower the air pressure in the tires, you can run 8psi in dirt/ sand combo. I strictly sand i run at 5psi.

wash sand(pea gravel) is pretty rough stuff to go through, the tracks usually stay from the guy before you.

with the viso differential you will feel it pull when it engauges, its just part of the way it works.

·
Registered
468 Posts
With my 30" mud tires in sand it runs pretty straighy in 4wd, the only time it drifts side to side is when I get into ruts in the sand. I figure the power steering will now solve that though. My lugs are over 2 inches deep however. So Im sure ur drift had alot to do with ur tires or like*Glamisfan said, ur toe in as well.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Hmmm, I ran all 4 stock Big Horns at 6 psi in the sand for 4 days straight, in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, and never once noticed any pull to one side or the other. In fact I was really supprised just how well it handled in the sand with the stock tires. I did notice it had a tendancy to push pretty good in the soft stuff unless I was in 4x4 mode...but other than that I had no complaints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts