Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Massive puddle of oil/lube on the ground... SOLVED: Cracked Transmission case

19K views 195 replies 25 participants last post by  McCarthy 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is confusing... Woke up this morning to a 2 foot by 3 foot puddle of oil on the ground under my machine... Can't really find where its coming from, other than it's dripping from the rear underside of the machine, I checked engine oil and its level hasn't moved, so maybe tranny or diff? How does one check level without draining fluid? Machine is a 2021 X3 DS Turbo R, only a couple week old machine.

Rode a trail with it yesterday that i've ridden 100's of times in various machines, its a pretty open trail without really anything that requires ground clearance, so I don't know wtf would cause that...

EDIT: See post #41 in this thread. Transmission case is cracked.

Sleeve Tints and shades Road surface Asphalt Bumper

See less See more
#4 ·
Time to drill out all the rivits and investigate. I have seen cracked transmissions from bottoming out. Look at the underside of your skid plate for any evidence.
Or you could get lucky and it’s the weep hole at your water pump, dripping out coolant.

#7 ·
Check your trans plug. Might have got lucky and had a loose plug that drained overnight instead of when you were driving it. Always, always, always go over a new machine and check fluid levels, bolts and drain plugs before taking it out. Dealer should do this but there’s lots of stories out on when they didn’t.

#29 ·
Drilling the easiest way?
That's what most of us have done. Couple pretty good threads around here on the entire process with pics/parts/tools needed etc.

A lift helps GREATLY if you have access to one,,, but it's not necessary. Not difficult,,, just a bit of a PITA. But if you replace all the rivets with riv-nuts, it will be the last time you ever have to do it. Makes oil changes mucho better too.

#39 ·
That is outside the gasket or silicone seal area.
Good point,,,, IF Pedro put sealant on the case surface on the "inside" of the bolt as he should have.?

I just looked a the parts diagram and I didn't see a gasket listed. Guessing RTV only. If Pedro only placed it on the case surface on the outside of the bolt, then this damage would cause a leak.

#41 ·
Case bolt is still tight, no threads showing. The crack is right behind the case bolt. Can see it here: It is not leaking from the damage, or the seam whatsoever. I cleaned it off properly after the pics, and can see the crack now. I circled it in red below;

Does Can-Am sell just the case? Or just have it welded? Hmmm....

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#43 ·
Does Can-Am sell just the case
No parts listed for the 21's on RMATV as of yet. The gear housing assembly is listed for the 19's/20's, but there is only XXXXX for the PN and stock status shows "Not Shipping".

With all the parts shortages and as hard as it is to get a complete vehicle these days,,, these type of parts will most likely be next to impossible to find.

#51 · (Edited)
Whew. Well that is good news. I have a shop in town that was recommended to me by about 10 different people when I showed them what i'd managed to do, called the guy, and he said obviously he needs to see it to be sure, but should be no problem from the pics I sent. Shop said it'll be a couple weeks before they can even look at it, but not the end of the world.

Does the trans need to be pulled to weld it? Shop said yes, but the r3dneck (why the hell is the word r-e-d-n-e-c-k censored???) in me is thinking tilt it onto its side, clean the shit out of it, and weld it. Thoughts?

#52 ·
So, PSA for everyone running stock skid plates, go spend the money on good aftermarket ones. I honestly never thought something could punch through the factory (looks like 1/4" UHMW?) skid plate and still have enough force left to do that much damage... Did some learning today. Lol.

#57 ·
Sorry guys my thought was poorly worded, I meant the shop said they wanted to dissemble the trans completely, so they could clean it before welding, I was wondering if thats needed, or just remove the trans from machine, tilt it on its side so there's no oil seeping into the weld area, clean it well on the outside, and weld it.

I might winch it onto its side and send the welder if it was a 2000, not a 2021 lol.

#59 ·
For best results and the chance of not warping the case it needs disassembled, oil burned out of the area to be welded and the case preheated. Also as mentioned welding it assembled, will for sure leak as the sealant will be dissolved. This is not a place to half ass the job , so do it right. I have had mine apart and it's not a complicated job. The hardest part is removing the trans and reinstalling it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.