Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Snow melted, figured out what I ran over. So unlucky. I've run that exact line at speed 100's of times, but I was going a bit faster that day, guess it was that few extra mph that allowed the suspension to compress just enough to smash itself on the rock. Even found witness marks on the rock.

You can see in the second pic the (now water filled) whoops that caused the compression.

Plant Bedrock Road surface Grass Groundcover

Water Water resources Tire Plant Wheel

Water Road surface Asphalt Groundcover Plant

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Unlucky is the word, 1 rock and you managed to hit it!
I've run over that rock 100s of times too, never had an issue. Even if there wasn't snow that day I would have taken the same line. The rock's only like 6" tall.

On another note, I did not think that was were shit got fucked up, but I do remember scraping on that rock. Never thought anything of it. Can't believe that's what did it, I assumed it happened much later on the ride and I just didn't notice the impact. Did not seem like a big impact at all, but it clearly was...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
And now ya know. So what have you decide on the repair?
I'm having it pulled, disassembled, and welded next week. Dealer in town here I know really well tried to get BRP to sell them just the case of the trans, but BRP flat out refused, would only sell the entire unit ($4050 CAD...). Replacing the case would have been my first choice...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Snow melted, figured out what I ran over. So unlucky. I've run that exact line at speed 100's of times, but I was going a bit faster that day, guess it was that few extra mph that allowed the suspension to compress just enough to smash itself on the rock. Even found witness marks on the rock.

You can see in the second pic the (now water filled) whoops that caused the compression.

View attachment 273364

View attachment 273365

View attachment 273366
That rock....... That little rock...... You need some suspension work!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
^^^^

Give the guy a break,,,,, just got the car. Also,,, Whoops are HELL on vehicles. Hit them hard enough, the car is GOING to bottom, unless the suspension is set up for whoops ONLY. Then it will suck everywhere else.
Yup. My last car was so bloody stiff it rode like a lumber wagon, but it didn't bottom out, ever. Need to remember the X3 (rides 1000x better) but bottoms easier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
She's fixed, ish. Tranny pulled, cases split, welded, back in the car, filled it with oil, woke up the next day, looked under the car, and you're never gonna guess what I saw...

...Nothing. Floor is dry. Took it out for an hour ride today, if I see no oil on the floor tomorrow i'm hesitantly going to call it fixed... knock on wood

1/2" FUTV skid plate on as well. Hopefully good insurance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I know its none of my business however I'm curious on what it cost you and did they do all the labor? It would be helpful info for others who might have this happen.
Good friends, cold beer, and a couple weekends. One heavy duty mechanic, one pipeline welder, and I was the tool gopher. Lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
To be honest though after it was welded and pressure tested by my buddy I took it to a machine/welding shop and had a second opinion, old boy that looked at it said it was "competent, sound work" to quote, and gave it the thumbs up. Here's to hoping it stays together. Both my buddy and the welding shop warned these things are finnicky, and more than likely it WILL leak or crack again, the question is after one ride, or 25 years of riding.

·
Registered
153 Posts
its not possible to order only the casing. i tried. something similar happened to me.snow..hidden rock, air time...= cracked transmission.
I paid 2k CAD for the full transmission from the dealer... my car was not even 500 miles used.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
its not possible to order only the casing. i tried. something similar happened to me.snow..hidden rock, air time...= cracked transmission.
I paid 2k CAD for the full transmission from the dealer... my car was not even 500 miles used.
Which dealer quoted you 2k?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I am In Quebec,
Here is the dealer. https://www.locationhautematawinie.com/fr/
Maybe they gave me a special price because my machine was on my first ride lol.
I took delivery saturday, and bought It back sund with the broken transmission case.....
YIKES!! Worse than mine, I got 2 weeks with it lol. Thanks though, i'm thousands of km west of you.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts