Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
As I recall there are some special tools needed to put the case apart. It is a bit of a puzzle in there so make sure you know what youre getting into if you do it. Removing the gearbox from the frame is easy. Just take things apart until it comes out. Leave all the parts you remove in a row so you know the order for them to go back in. And just to clarify, it is a gearbox, not a tranny, god I hate that word.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,371 Posts
As I recall there are some special tools needed to put the case apart. It is a bit of a puzzle in there so make sure you know what youre getting into if you do it. Removing the gearbox from the frame is easy. Just take things apart until it comes out. Leave all the parts you remove in a row so you know the order for them to go back in. And just to clarify, it is a gearbox, not a tranny, god I hate that word.
Yeah tranny was an acceptable word years ago. But maybe not the best term to use in 2021 lol.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Yeah tranny was an acceptable word years ago. But maybe not the best term to use in 2021 lol.
I mean, the transmission in the x3 is the clutches, thats is what does the shifting when you are driving, just sort of a dumb pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I guess if a machine drags over something at 5mph, or 85 mph it messes shit up either way. Lol.
While that is true lol, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. That damage is not from running over a single obstacle. It's not consistent with just hitting something on the trail. I bet if you go back to the path you rode you can figure out what did it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems strange that there is what appears to be just a small hole in the skid plate, I agree that it looks like something slid across the case rather than hitting it, unless what ever it was went thru the skid plate and got stuck in there for a while and was dragging on the ground and finally broke off or came loose?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Seems strange that there is what appears to be just a small hole in the skid plate, I agree that it looks like something slid across the case rather than hitting it, unless what ever it was went thru the skid plate and got stuck in there for a while and was dragging on the ground and finally broke off or came loose?
Hmm. I didn't think of that but looking at it I agree- I wonder if something got caught in that hole in the skid plate and dragged down the trail... I would think i'd hear that though... Maybe the snow dimmed the sound enough.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You hit/skim the top of a largish rock (under the snow) in whoops, doing 85,,,,, that's exactly the kind of damage I'd expect to see. The gear box housing punched through the skid when impacted, contacting the rock, shearing off the gear box material. It all happened in a millisecond,,, but it looks like the "rock" slid down the skid for a decent distance.

The gear box housing bolt area was the low spot,,, hence it was removed after punching through the skid.

That's my thoughts anyway. ;)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Damn, must be getting really old. There was no other meaning other than short form when I was pulling out the "tranny" back and forth......"no pun intended" nohomo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
You hit/skim the top of a largish rock (under the snow) in whoops, doing 85,,,,, that's exactly the kind of damage I'd expect to see. The gear box housing punched through the skid when impacted, contacting the rock, shearing off the gear box material. It all happened in a millisecond,,, but it looks like the "rock" slid down the skid for a decent distance.

The gear box housing bolt area was the low spot,,, hence it was removed after punching through the skid.

That's my thoughts anyway. ;)
Yup. I think that's exactly what happened.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Even if it got stuck there the bottom of whatever was stuck would be ground down, not the gearbox.

I don't see how hitting one rock (at 85 or 185) would remove that much aluminum from the case, and grind through the skid plate. Whatever did that either lasted longer than a millisecond or it happened over and over and over.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Whatever did that either lasted longer than a millisecond or it happened over and over and over.
I disagree,,,, look at the skid plate damage, not just the gear box housing damage. Looks like one good/hard/fast hit. Repeated hits would have caused much different (more, less consistent) damage to the skid. I'm very surprised the gear box punched through the skid,,, but it looks like one hit to me.

Guessing about a 3mm depth of aluminum was removed. That's not very much aluminum removed,,,, soft aluminum, large rounded off rock, high speed, rear compressed fully, bottoming the car. I can see it... Hard to believe it wasn't felt when driving,,, but when you're hauling a$$ on a trail, your attention is definitely elsewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
It was definitely one hit. Skid plate would have way more damage if it was more than one. Ride height is great, but when the rear loads up it obviously reduces it.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts