Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
When I started hearing of broken trans issues I installed a piece of 1/8" 6061 T6 aluminum sheet between the skid plate and the frame for added protection. The skid plate is too close to the trans IMHO.
WAY too close.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,371 Posts
Once again just suck it up and attack the job. I think you will be suprised how fast you remove it if you just go to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I don't know how to weld aluminum, so i'm going to let the shop do the whole job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
You can save a chunk of change by R&R ing the trans yourself.
Ya i'm considering it, never really done that major of a job, and i'd hate to get halfway through and realize I can't figure out how to put it back together. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Has this shop done X3 Trans work before? If they have experience with them, then maybe I would allow them to do it. You can save about 10 Hours labor by removing and reinstalling the trans in the machine. Again splitting the case is not hard. If you do the trans work then you will be ready for them to do the welding in 2 weeks rather than them starting on the whole project in 2 weeks. Food for thought.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,371 Posts
Just download a service manual. Between that and the people here I'm pretty sure you can handle it. Seems to be a popular thread so...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Irregardless of who tears it apart, the case will have to be split and cleaned and cleaned again, before attempting to tig weld it. Most any time a part has been submerged in oil the oil has to be cooked out, castings seem to hold the oil more as well. Most any local fab shop or welding shop will also know this, I doubt that any welder would touch it unless it's torn apart and properly prepped before attempting to weld. Total bummer on the damage Man, hope you get it repaired soon.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Irregardless of who tears it apart, the case will have to be split and cleaned and cleaned again, before attempting to tig weld it. Most any time a part has been submerged in oil the oil has to be cooked out, castings seem to hold the oil more as well. Most any local fab shop or welding shop will also know this, I doubt that any welder would touch it unless it's torn apart and properly prepped before attempting to weld. Total bummer on the damage Man, hope you get it repaired soon.
absolutely agree, had a similar thing happen to a rzr 800. Had to disassemble, boil the case to remove all oils then the welder would weld it. Any oil in there and when the welder strikes on it the weld will contaminate and have to be ground out again and cleaned.

easy process just takes time to do it right

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Wow ! You didn't feel that impact ?

My cheap 2 cents, jb weld for a quick fix it might hold.
Ya I think it happened when we were wide open doing about 85mph through some snow covered whoops, it's so loud and so much noise I may have heard a bang not 100% sure.

I thought about the JB weld but i'd hate to have it let go in the middle of the bush and leak out all the trans fluid again, or the flexing cracks it worse and then it needs a new tranny.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I thought I joined your plight tonight. Got home to a small puddle under my gearbox….

Mine turned out to be a an Oring on the 4x4 actuator that didn’t like being used twice from when I replaced my final drive gear last week or so.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Ya I think it happened when we were wide open doing about 85mph through some snow covered whoops, it's so loud and so much noise I may have heard a bang not 100% sure.

I thought about the JB weld but i'd hate to have it let go in the middle of the bush and leak out all the trans fluid again, or the flexing cracks it worse and then it needs a new tranny.
That sucks man. The jb weld is just a quick fix definitely not long term. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I thought I joined your plight tonight. Got home to a small puddle under my gearbox….

Mine turned out to be a an Oring on the 4x4 actuator that didn’t like being used twice from when I replaced my final drive gear last week or so.
Lucky!!!!!

That sucks man. The jb weld is just a quick fix definitely not long term. Good luck!
Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
It looks ground down to me, not like a single impact. The plastic is bunched up like it was being drug on something and there are striations on the case like something grinding away at it. Did you ride on RR tracks or something skinny and tall that could have done that?

I would spray brake parts cleaner on that and squirt a bead of right stuff on it and be done. Just put something around it so it doesn't get hit/scraped again.

https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/the-right-stuff-gasket-makers/

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
It looks ground down to me, not like a single impact. The plastic is bunched up like it was being drug on something and there are striations on the case like something grinding away at it. Did you ride on RR tracks or something skinny and tall that could have done that?

I would spray brake parts cleaner on that and squirt a bead of right stuff on it and be done. Just put something around it so it doesn't get hit/scraped again.

https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/the-right-stuff-gasket-makers/
Nope, just rode fast open snowmobile trails.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts