Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Case bolt is still tight, no threads showing. The crack is right behind the case bolt. Can see it here: It is not leaking from the damage, or the seam whatsoever. I cleaned it off properly after the pics, and can see the crack now. I circled it in red below;

Does Can-Am sell just the case? Or just have it welded? Hmmm....

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
823 Posts
Does Can-Am sell just the case
No parts listed for the 21's on RMATV as of yet. The gear housing assembly is listed for the 19's/20's, but there is only XXXXX for the PN and stock status shows "Not Shipping".

With all the parts shortages and as hard as it is to get a complete vehicle these days,,, these type of parts will most likely be next to impossible to find.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
No parts listed for the 21's on RMATV as of yet. The gear housing assembly is listed for the 19's/20's, but there is only XXXXX for the PN and stock status shows "Not Shipping".

With all the parts shortages and as hard as it is to get a complete vehicle these days,,, these type of parts will most likely be next to impossible to find.
Oh lovely. Lol. Of course. My luck.

EDIT: OH NO I DIDN'T SEE THE THREADS... I think you are correct... That's bolt threads. Not leaking from that particular area somehow, but you are correct. **** **** ****...

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,371 Posts
Any good TIG welder can fix that right up a lot cheaper than trying to find a new case.
I've worked with some serious pros in the past. Mind blown with some of the stuff they pulled off. For sure the right dude can fix that up 100%.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Whew. Well that is good news. I have a shop in town that was recommended to me by about 10 different people when I showed them what i'd managed to do, called the guy, and he said obviously he needs to see it to be sure, but should be no problem from the pics I sent. Shop said it'll be a couple weeks before they can even look at it, but not the end of the world.

Does the trans need to be pulled to weld it? Shop said yes, but the r3dneck (why the hell is the word r-e-d-n-e-c-k censored???) in me is thinking tilt it onto its side, clean the shit out of it, and weld it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So, PSA for everyone running stock skid plates, go spend the money on good aftermarket ones. I honestly never thought something could punch through the factory (looks like 1/4" UHMW?) skid plate and still have enough force left to do that much damage... Did some learning today. Lol.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
549 Posts
Whew. Well that is good news. I have a shop in town that was recommended to me by about 10 different people when I showed them what i'd managed to do, called the guy, and he said obviously he needs to see it to be sure, but should be no problem from the pics I sent. Shop said it'll be a couple weeks before they can even look at it, but not the end of the world.

Does the trans need to be pulled to weld it? Shop said yes, but the r3dneck (why the hell is the word r-e-d-n-e-c-k censored???) in me is thinking tilt it onto its side, clean the shit out of it, and weld it. Thoughts?
I bet that not only does it need removed but the case probably needs removed I.E. tranny disassembled. Don't see how you could get a clean weld with oil contaminating it. You would also burn the silicone up and will leak.

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
So, PSA for everyone running stock skid plates, go spend the money on good aftermarket ones. I honestly never thought something could punch through the factory (looks like 1/4" UHMW?) skid plate and still have enough force left to do that much damage... Did some learning today. Lol.
Trail Armor makes some of, if not the best skid plates out there.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
338 Posts

By the time you have everything off to tilt it, you’ve already removed it. Unless you’re just winching the whole machine over and then be sure to post pictures.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Sorry guys my thought was poorly worded, I meant the shop said they wanted to dissemble the trans completely, so they could clean it before welding, I was wondering if thats needed, or just remove the trans from machine, tilt it on its side so there's no oil seeping into the weld area, clean it well on the outside, and weld it.

I might winch it onto its side and send the welder if it was a 2000, not a 2021 lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Also, is there anything worth doing to the machine while the back half is torn apart?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For best results and the chance of not warping the case it needs disassembled, oil burned out of the area to be welded and the case preheated. Also as mentioned welding it assembled, will for sure leak as the sealant will be dissolved. This is not a place to half ass the job , so do it right. I have had mine apart and it's not a complicated job. The hardest part is removing the trans and reinstalling it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I figured, thanks.

Might be the old shut the barn door after the horses have run off, but I ordered FUTV skid plates in 1/2". Guess I won't be pulling the trans a second time? Lol.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts