Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is confusing... Woke up this morning to a 2 foot by 3 foot puddle of oil on the ground under my machine... Can't really find where its coming from, other than it's dripping from the rear underside of the machine, I checked engine oil and its level hasn't moved, so maybe tranny or diff? How does one check level without draining fluid? Machine is a 2021 X3 DS Turbo R, only a couple week old machine.

Rode a trail with it yesterday that i've ridden 100's of times in various machines, its a pretty open trail without really anything that requires ground clearance, so I don't know wtf would cause that...

EDIT: See post #41 in this thread. Transmission case is cracked.

Sleeve Tints and shades Road surface Asphalt Bumper

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
As stated there is a dip stick in the trans.

·
Premium Member
9,096 Posts
Time to drill out all the rivits and investigate. I have seen cracked transmissions from bottoming out. Look at the underside of your skid plate for any evidence.
Or you could get lucky and it’s the weep hole at your water pump, dripping out coolant.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check your trans plug. Might have got lucky and had a loose plug that drained overnight instead of when you were driving it. Always, always, always go over a new machine and check fluid levels, bolts and drain plugs before taking it out. Dealer should do this but there’s lots of stories out on when they didn’t.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uh oh fellas

I'm fairly certain I found a new hole in the factory skid plate, and by power of deduction (need to get the factory skid plate off to confirm.........) a cracked transmission housing...

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
Uh oh fellas

I'm fairly certain I found a new hole in the factory skid plate, and by power of deduction (need to get the factory skid plate off to confirm.........) a cracked transmission housing...
Damn, sorry to hear that.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, sorry to hear that.
I guess that's what happens when you're riding in a foot of snow and get really, really, really unlucky... Got enough of the oil cleaned up and there's definitely a crack the oil is leaking from, how in the hell do you get the skid plate off? They didn't seriously RIVET it on, did they? Tell me i'm seeing things...

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
I guess that's what happens when you're riding in a foot of snow and get really, really, really unlucky... Got enough of the oil cleaned up and there's definitely a crack the oil is leaking from, how in the hell do you get the skid plate off? They didn't seriously RIVET it on, did they? Tell me i'm seeing things...
Need to drill out the rivets, replace with rivnuts.

·
Premium Member
9,096 Posts
wow, you Really didn’t know or even look under the car since you have purchased it? It’s a well know fact canam rivits all the X3 skids on. A rivnut upgrade is a highly talked about procedure here.

but I digress as I look at your place of residence, seems like par for the course when seeing a post from your brothers up there.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
How the Hell do you crack something in a foot of snow? Talk about bad luck / bad timing!

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
601 Posts
Need to drill out the rivets, replace with rivnuts.
When I did mine I used a real sharp cold chisel and knocked all the heads off. I first tried drilling but they would all spin and not drill. Get a couple of good Cobalt drill bits for drilling the frame for the rivnuts. Frame is some real hard metal.

I also tack welded all the rivnuts so they don't spin in the future while removing the screws.

·
Premium Member
9,096 Posts
Thanks haha.

In other news, does anyone know a good aluminum welder? (read: anyone successfully welded up a small crack?)
pull the transmission, disassemble it, boil it in hot water twice to remove all oils. Then take it to any aluminum welder and have them weld the crack. Drill a small hole on either side to stop the crack from spreading before you weld.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
When I did mine I used a real sharp cold chisel and knocked all the heads off. I first tried drilling but they would all spin and not drill. Get a couple of good Cobalt drill bits for drilling the frame for the rivnuts. Frame is some real hard metal.

I also tack welded all the rivnuts so they don't spin in the future while removing the screws.
I didn't think the frame was that hard? Drilled out pretty easy. I believe it was a 13/64 bit.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, you Really didn’t know or even look under the car since you have purchased it? It’s a well know fact canam rivits all the X3 skids on. A rivnut upgrade is a highly talked about procedure here.

but I digress as I look at your place of residence, seems like par for the course when seeing a post from your brothers up there.
Huh? What are you talking about?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts