Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get info on his car. If anyone knows the specs, builder, or any other info, please post it up. I did find his FB page, and it says it has 19rear/18front inches of travel. It has me wondering if I should build mine up like it? Nah! Well......maybe

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's his post about the Baja 500.......Our day started out pretty early in the morning having radio issues. We called PCI guys to come over to help us sort this out, but there was not enough time to fix the problem. We could communicate outward but no one was able to communicate with us once we were out a mile or so distance. We proceeded to the Start line despite our radio problems. We were thinking about how many cars we can pass in a UTV. This is my first experience racing a UTV and would have to admit it started off really fun. As we awaited the green flag we took off and we flew past all the Class 11 cars before the pavement even ended. The next car in our site was a 5-1600. We past him within in half mile in the dirt. As we proceeded we starting flying past the 1600's, Class 5's, 4400's, and other vehicles. We got approximately to mile marker 16 and there were a lot of cops slowing the traffic down. Apparently there was a big accident. In front of me were two cars and the car in front of them was a 7200 Brenthel race truck which I had my eyes set in passing him. We pasted the two cars in front of us and we were getting closer and closer as we got to the arches and the Pepsi stand. As we proceeded past the Pepsi stand the turns got tighter and tighter but I managed to get closer to the Brenthel truck. Before we got to the gate in Ojos Negros I made the past on the 7200 truck and also past a trophy truck that was getting fueled or having issues on the side of the road. As we proceeded thru the grated road going to K39 the Brenthel truck past us on the speed zone that was only 60 MPH which he had to go over 60 to get past us. As we got to K39 we were on the gas once again. We had approx. 5 mints on the 2nd place in our class. We started to battle again with some Class 7 and 8's in the tight turns around mile maker 45 or so. We came around one of the turns in the dust and almost hit the Ford Excursion that was severely damaged from previously hitting something at the beginning of the race which we later found out he got hit by Jason Voss's Trophy Truck. We kept pushing to get by the two other trucks that were in front of us. They were not very happy to get passed by a UTV, luckily we had a $20 air horn that we mounted and zip tighted to the cage so the co-driver could honk the horn. Every time we honked the horn we laughed because we were thinking the people inside were getting annoyed by being passed by a UTV which would be pretty embarrassing. After we passed more trucks we decided to slow it down a little bit at around mile marker 70. As we got closer to the highway the vehicle started to loose fuel pressure. Once we got to the road were the road the course parallels the highway approx.at mile marker 77 the vehicle had no fuel pressure and died. We were thinking we were out of gas but I knew in my head that we could not be out of gas but then I was second guessing myself and thought we might have a fuel leak. At this point we had approx. 15 mints in second place as they came by. Some people say we had more but I looked at my watch to look at the time we stopped and the time the first UTV came by. We started working on the UTV switching fuel pumps after we put gas in the vehicle. It started after we switched fuel pumps. We got going again getting ready for our first fuel stop at mile maker 98. A half a mile before the fuel pit we were calculating in our heads the fuel mileage when the vehicle stop at mile maker 77. We then realized that there was 5 gallons of fuel still in the tank so we thought we had fixed the problems by switching the fuel pump. We proceeded to keep driving to the Summit after the first pit stop. When we got to the summit the vehicle died again with no fuel pressure. At this time we thought maybe the fuel pick-up line was not placed properly in the tank so we decided to open up the tank and check it. As we put our hands into the gas tank we realized the fuel was boiling hot and we could not put our hands in the tank. The reason why the fuel was boiling was our muffler was underneath the gas tank. This was our fault, we never had time to test it with the muffler underneath the gas tank. It is sad that this happened because we let all of our sponsors down. Our STM clutch worked awesome, our Factory UTV skid plate worked awesome. Our General Tires were awesome and the Can-Am Maverick worked awesome all day. Fox Shocks were awesome! This will never happen again since we are still learning about UTV's. Once again we would like to thank everybody for helping us including our pit crew and a special thanks to my cousins Reid Johnson and RockStar Rick Johnson for building the suspension and all our sponsors that have put a lot of time in our vehicle. Our next race will be the HDRA race The El Dorado Reno 500. This is going to the race to shake down the car so we are ready for the BITD Vegas to Reno race.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like info on that car as well! That's rite up the ally on how I'm going to build mine! I really am interested in the steering set up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was told the diff was moved back 6 inches in this car...which is what we had looked at doing in our race car but we can seem to find a way to engineer it...I've looked at these pics as closely as I can and dont see it moved back...the axles would be much straighter than they are in the pics..but maybe...I do see where the rear upper trailing arms look like they have been space so as not to contact the axle at articulation..love to hear more about the suspension.

Reactions: CTRacing

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was told the diff was moved back 6 inches in this car...which is what we had looked at doing in our race car but we can seem to find a way to engineer it...I've looked at these pics as closely as I can and dont see it moved back...the axles would be much straighter than they are in the pics..but maybe...I do see where the rear upper trailing arms look like they have been space so as not to contact the axle at articulation..love to hear more about the suspension.
Me too...It looks moved back to me.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
if u look close the rear arms and tie rods use the stock mounting location and there extended back to catch up with the diff, the diff is held in with sum new tubing , they extended the drive shaft to move it all back

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a FB message that the rear is 6" back, and the front is 2" forward. That would make a 92.4" wheelbase.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Only info I know about his car's is that he got them all thru Southbay Motorsports, he got 5 of them and he is suppose to be performing a full backflip in one of them.

·
Vendor
1 Posts
The owner posted a video on here a while back of it and a couple specs but not much. I'm sure you can search it.
Michael and I talked a little bit about the rear end. They've done some interesting and smart things to it to help with angles, wheelbase and strength while improving some reliability on some areas from what I can tell. I don't truly know how it performs but im sure its pretty darn good.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You would think it would be easier to start with a Max. We could call it a Jaggedfan or a GlamisX in you honor.....

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The builder of this car just posted up a small amount of info on the UTV underground forum. So I asked him some questions about it and asked for some good pictures.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the builder on another site......I just added 4 more albums revealing basic steering and suspension design changes and principals. I have way more pics and knowledge than I have time to reveal here. My goal in the underground is not to brag, but rather to expose what is really involved in a true "build", and maybe bring in some work at the same time. I'll leave the boasting in the capable hands of our driver/owner, and fearless leader, Marc Burnett. He is a racing maniac with 30 years of high-end driving experience. He's won in every kind of vehicle he's raced, 2 or 4-wheeled, and is totally confident in a victory in the Maverick soon. I am currently working on a multi-stage/race proven kit(s) that will suit the needs of the Maverick owners at any level. I'm sick of Polaris this, and XP 900 that. I built my first race car over 20 years ago. It was a high end truck, and won its first race overall. After a long break, I have learned that that success still seems easy to come by. There is still a lot of monkey-see, monkey-do going on out there. Many fabricators could benefit from picking up one of Carroll Smith's "Win" series books, and learning the fundamentals of race car design and development. I was stoked to see Cory Sappington podium at Baja with his stocker. To think that I almost felt sorry for him when I saw his car in contingency at this years Baja 500. Kicked our ass, that's for sure! To think that My brother and I put in over 2,000 hours in the 3 months leading up to Baja to design and build our ton of fun, whilst Cory went on with his daily routine, and just packed up and left for Baja with little planning or preparation. Awesome!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So the rear was extended. Awesome

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I held the picture of the spindle up to my Mav, and it is a modified stock spindle. They plated it, welded a uniball to the bottom of it, added on to the steering arm to raise it higher, and swapped them side to side to make it a front steer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts