Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1000r and the shock settings from the factory are way to stiff. Can someone help me out and where to start. I am a trail rider and open fields. Do not ride sand.
Thanks in advance the forum is great along with my Maverick. Come over from the poo poo side and cant believe I ever started there. There fit and finish and over all build quality is junk compared to these.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it an XRS with 2.5 Foxes or a base model with 2.0 Foxes

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys it the cheap model with the 2.0.

Also it only has the compression adjustment nob and the spring preload.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a base model. I race on 6 clicks. I trail ride on 12 clicks. You only have compression to adjust. There is no rebound to adjust. The rebound is great, even better then the stock XRS. I compared both. When you adjust your compression clicks, turn your black knob on the top of your shocks Clock wise all the way until it stops, then back them off and try 12 clicks, if that is not soft enough back them off maybe 4 more clicks until you like what you feel. Hope this helps.( There is a big difference in feel and valving between the Base model and the XRS. I've jumped out of one into the other. One main problem with the 2.5 shocks is you can't slow the rebound enough, even all the way closed. Back end kicks up too fast. Seems like the 2.0 rebound is much better even though you can't adjust it. Alex at CT Racing has fixed that issue with the 2.5's. We are getting ready to start doing some 2.0 revalving and testing. He will release some info. soon.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I added 2" spacers to mine and it made a world of difference. I had all my adjustments backed out all the and it was better. then added the spacers and then it was a little too soft. So it gave me back some adjustment. Now its much better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've only had my maverick out once so far. It's a 2014 XRS with 2.5s. Took it to Little Sahara in OK.. I wanted to do the first ride without any adjustments. I felt like it was decent. It felt a little stiff until you pushed it. I adjusted the shocks to AReed's recommendations (both compression adj full soft, rebound full hard/closed off) for the second ride out. I was impressed. It felt like the machine soaked up a lot more chop. I watched the front wheels at certain times while riding and I could see them soaking up bumps that I couldn't feel. I know it could be better, but not horrible for stock. I had to be a little more careful on G-out situations with these settings, though. The bottoming resistance was less than with stock settings. I only bottomed the rear once all weekend with 7.5 hours of riding, so it's livable. I don't know if it's been discussed or not... But I wonder if AReed has any input on the 2.0 Fox settings? I enjoyed his 2.5 settings.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Read my post above. Alex and I will be working on the 2.0 shocks in January with some revalving info back to you. Also ride height has a big to do on what style riding you do. I will change my ride heights as much as a half inch above stock ride height riding in trails like WV. And some motocross/woods racing I will lower it a half inch from stock ride height, turns a little quicker in the turns. And when I run TT/Flat Track I will lower all the way to the Bump stops. You will not believe how sensitive your Maverick is to the proper height you set it at according to what terrain your riding on. (You want it to turn a little better lower that front end a little, and it doesn't hurt for it to have a little rake in the ride height and air up your tires a little. You will be amazed.)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I raised the back up during Thanksgiving while doing some more shock tuning, and I didn't like it at all, so I put it back down to where it was. And I just started running 14 lbs of air in the front to make it easier to steer and take out some body roll, and I'm liking it so far. I still run about 7 lbs in the rear, and I used to run 8 in the front.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stevemen, I read your post prior to your edit. Thanks for the additional info.. Sounds like you've found some decent settings. I personally have zero experience with the 2.0s and not much more than that with the 2.5s. I'm here to learn!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
So for sand you put it down (loosening the spring rings up) to lower the unit? Glamisfan, what are your settings for the dunes?
With stock springs and dampening, I ran 11 1/2" ground clearance, rebound all the way in, and the compressions close to the middle. Not sure on the compression, but I just keep turning it in till it feels good. The dunes require more dampening then the desert.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wish I could help you out in the sand, but all we have on the East Coast is mostly hard packed. But Glamis, don't be afraid of lowering the front 1/2 inch and leave the rear stock and see how it turns for you. It should react a little quicker. And yes out here we run around 16-17 Pds. in the Bighorns. Takes out some of the side wall flex on the 6 ply stockers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 13 base mav with 27" it mud light 589's. 12 in rear 10 in front and I have the itp ss212 wheels which make the stance quite a bit wider. Am running trails and mud and swamps but mostly hard pack. I am 6'3" 300 lbs what would you guys recommend for tire pressure and suspension settings? I got it in September but only have a 150 miles on it as work and business have been consuming me....Damn it lol. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know much about the mud lights, if they are a 8 ply tire you can drop the psi lower. I tried some EBC moto claws which is a 8 ply tire, stiff side wall down to 8 psi which felt like the 6 ply stockers at 17 psi. So in a nut shell you don't won't to roll it off the rim, but the stiffer the side wall the lower psi you can run with better traction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive got the base model too and trail ride with it. I change my compression clickers all the time based on the trail, but i usually have them all the way soft to 4~6 clicks off soft. Then when i find a good jump ill turn them all the way in to the stiffest setting. I also turned my preload on the springs up a bit to put me back to 13" of ground clearance that it had when new. When i had ordered the bike i thought i might have to send the shocks out for a revalve, but i was suprised how stiff they are stock (the 2.0's) which is good for an ex moto guy like me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts