Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings. I'm a new MT 1000 owner. Does anyone have any experience with the MT and "Mad Ramps" (https://madramps.com/shop/)? (or any other bed extender type things?)

It looks like a great solution - I have a standard bed F250 and the MT is WAY too long for the bed. I'd like to haul it without trailering (we have a toy hauler, but I'd rather not tow it every time we want to go out for 1/2 day, and i don't have space for an additional small trailer )

The design of the Mad Ramps looks pretty awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke w/Matt @Madramps , and he said they are selling many ramps to MT owners. It has the proper weight rating, and (with ramp extenders, also available) will accomodate MT's relatively long wheelbase

I will be ordering one soon, and will update here with pictures/etc.

Any feedback from actual users would still be appreciated, of course

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were close by (I'm assuming you're not), I'd buy yours

Why are you backed in? tailgate safety?

Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was Camo color but I plastic dipped it this blue. So far its holding up good even with the wife laying it on its side. I'm located in MN, I backed it in to keep the heavy part of the rig over the rear axle. something about the whole rear of the rig ridding on the mad ramp hitch mount just don't sit well with me. I'm sure it's good to handle it but I like keeping more of the machine in the bed and less stress on the hitch. After adding everything I have Im sure its over 1600lbs and the weight with me in it takes it to 1800lbs+. It's a handy set up for sure, you can loaded and unloaded it in under 15 minutes. I liked not having to deal with a trailer you can take it anywhere. I picked up two aces for the family so went with a trailer and haven't used this since.
IMG_3741.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info - I had also wondered about cantilevering the bulk of 1400lbs off the ramp (which is very well contstructed as far as I can tell), as opposed to putting it over the axle of my truck. I'll be picking up a Mad ramp soon (and will post pictures here). Have a great riding season!
--Brendan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: I did end up picking up a MadRamps setup. So far, really impressed with how it works, and how small it stores in my garage (I bought the wall mount, but have not installed it yet)
A few observations:
1) the "ramp extensions" are required for the MT due to the wheelbase length. Without the extension, the ramp will not lift the be under both axles when the ramp cantilevers as the machine rolls up
2) The ramps fly up pretty rapidly when the cantilver happens - be careful
3) I was concerned about weight distribution and was considering backing the MT into the truck, but,after a 70 mile round trip with the MT in the back of the truck on the Madramp, there we no noticeable handling issues (YMMV, this is an old heavy F250)
4) The crap visiibility over the nose and out the back of the MT are really highlighted when going up and down the ramp ;) (I'm adding mirrors and probably a backup camera too)
5) The ramps are sturdy and seem to very well made.
6) I am a relatively small (5'9" / 170Lbs) dude, and the cantilever section of the ramp is at least 100lbs, so handling the cantilever section was a little challenging at first (it lives on a rolling pallet, and then I use a dirt bike stand to lever it in/out of the receiver)
7) I am (at best) an average "mechanic" (I'm a software guy, hahaha), and it took me < 2 hours to assemble/mount/1st load using the ramp. If I can, just about anyone can.
8) I also picked up and use a receiver pin lock (Bolt Lock) with the ramp, because.. people

All in all, a great product for the use case (need to haul a SxS, no room for trailer), and very happy with it so far. It was great being able to call and ask questions to the owner of the company. I'm in Northern California, and shipping (from IA) was 4 business days

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would like to hear the experience from someone with a half-ton rated pickup with a 6.5' bed. Guessing it would need air bags added to the rear springs, but still wonder about the stability on the highway or off pavement.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
I'm still waiting on the bloopers videos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
There's got to be better bloopers than that out there . Doubt the owners proudly post then.
They'll turn up eventually.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's got to be better bloopers than that out there . Doubt the owners proudly post then.

I'm sure there are - I haven't had mine long enough - give it some time, I'm pretty good at mistakes...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

And, as if it was meant to be, this happened today:

This is on me, of course, for letting the 17 year old drive it in. Despite that fact that he's already loaded it at least once, and helped me several times...

Ancient (non aluminum) Ford tailgate FTW, BTW - no harm done.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
And, as if it was meant to be, this happened today:

This is on me, of course, for letting the 17 year old drive it in. Despite that fact that he's already loaded it at least once, and helped me several times...

Ancient (non aluminum) Ford tailgate FTW, BTW - no harm done.
Well, could of been much worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always back it in to the bed of my 1-ton. Also have the tail gate bars that take the stress off the stock cables while on the tail gate. just added air bags for my up coming trip to Colorado should be a huge help. Still better than pulling a trailer 1300 miles for one rig.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always back it in to the bed of my 1-ton. Also have the tail gate bars that take the stress off the stock cables while on the tail gate. just added air bags for my up coming trip to Colorado should be a huge help. Still better than pulling a trailer 1300 miles for one rig.
Do you mean that you use the tailgate bars with mad-ramps? With the mad ramp (when used properly, unlike in the video I posted above), the tailgate only take momentary load as the axle that will be in the bed passes over the tailgate. I tried to back in with the mad-ramp, btw, but after using it nose-in, determined that the mad-ramp is fine to take the load of the MT's drivetrain (not scientifically. but by driving it/observing it).

I agree, hauling it the bed for one shot stuff is way better than trailer (toy hauler in my case)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would like to hear the experience from someone with a half-ton rated pickup with a 6.5' bed. Guessing it would need air bags added to the rear springs, but still wonder about the stability on the highway or off pavement.
I have no experience with them however with the way it loads i would personally install some bags or helpers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts