Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine started sputtering yesterday all day anytime I got over 6k rpm, no check engine light though at all.
checked the air filter and wasn’t to bad. Thinking maybe a fuel issue, running 91 non oxy, maybe fuel filter??
Any one else have any ideas on what to check?? Or what it may be??
I have a tuner/diagnostic tool also, will it show anything even with no check engine light?

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
989 Posts
Fuel system would be the first place I would look in that situation. Not sure what your tool can tell you. Fuel pressure is the best way to know. Fuel filter or fuel pump is my guess. But thats only a guess.

Maybe if it shows a lean condition that could be a clue possibly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuner/diagnostic reader didn't show any faults or codes at all. Have to check the others you mentioned later on when I have a chance.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My car started doing a thing where it has a little bobble in the RPM right around 6-6500 when cruising at part throttle. It doesn't seem to bobble when I get on the gas or cruise slower than that. I kinda figured if there was any misfiring or fuel pressure problems it would throw a code or turn on the check engine light. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the clutch? I spend a LOT of time cruising at that rpm because many of the long baja trails are about 55mph comfortable cruising speed so the belt sits in that one part of the clutch sheave quite a bit. Perhaps it wears a little low spot on the face at that spot? I dunno. Its time for a big prep job on my car and part of it will be sending the clutches back to KWI for a rebuild so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took it for a cruise yesterday, it only happens when I get on the gas pedal hard, gets to 6k and then stumbles and drops off, sputters, if I let off the gas a little bit then, and ease back into it then its good and will go hard like it should. Very wierd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check and make sure your wastegate rod hasn't come off turbo
So not familiar with turbo's much at all, but is this easy to do, any videos showing what I should be looking for? I somehow don't think it's a turbo issue, but will still look at this to make sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also can I put a fuel injector cleaner through it, thinking of something like a Lucas brand or similar maybe to try as well??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered the 2 fuel filters also, the one that goes in the tank on the pump and the one for outside on fuel line, just going to replace them even if they're not needed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So not familiar with turbo's much at all, but is this easy to do, any videos showing what I should be looking for? I somehow don't think it's a turbo issue, but will still look at this to make sure.
Just look up a video on adjusting turbo crack pressure on a can am. You don't have to adjust anything, but you will know what the rod is.

Make sure all the tubes etc connected to the turbo haven't popped off either.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So I took it for a cruise yesterday, it only happens when I get on the gas pedal hard, gets to 6k and then stumbles and drops off, sputters, if I let off the gas a little bit then, and ease back into it then its good and will go hard like it should. Very wierd.
If its intermittent, that makes me think fuel pressure is the best place to look first. Not a bad idea changing filters, why not. Might be a pump though. Or I'm totally wrong lol...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If its intermittent, that makes me think fuel pressure is the best place to look first. Not a bad idea changing filters, why not. Might be a pump though. Or I'm totally wrong lol...
Maybe I will add a pressure guage in line after the filter also. Unless my tuner/diagnostics reader can tell me fuel pressure, I will have to research this, its an Evolution powersports tuner if anyone knows off hand if it's capable of reading fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Maybe I will add a pressure guage in line after the filter also. Unless my tuner/diagnostics reader can tell me fuel pressure, I will have to research this, its an Evolution powersports tuner if anyone knows off hand if it's capable of reading fuel pressure.
Just don't replace the plugs. Make sure you check the gaps. They've been known to be all over the place on stock plugs.

Reactions: kris55414

·
Registered
2019 X3 DS turbo R EVO stage 3 93
15 Posts
My machine started sputtering yesterday all day anytime I got over 6k rpm, no check engine light though at all.
checked the air filter and wasn’t to bad. Thinking maybe a fuel issue, running 91 non oxy, maybe fuel filter??
Any one else have any ideas on what to check?? Or what it may be??
I have a tuner/diagnostic tool also, will it show anything even with no check engine light?
I had a power loss problem on my 19 xr xds changed stock plugs as my evo tuner showed a misfire on one cylinder. Went with the high dollar evo plugs (ouch) problem solved. BTW the stock plugs had less than 80 miles on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a power loss problem on my 19 xr xds changed stock plugs as my evo tuner showed a misfire on one cylinder. Went with the high dollar evo plugs (ouch) problem solved. BTW the stock plugs had less than 80 miles on them.
I need to figure out my tuner better so I can read things like that also. Right now I’d have no clue how to tell a misfire. I have just over 3k miles on. Bought it at about 2300. No clue of previous owner ever changed plugs or not. Ran superb till my last 2 outings on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts