Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my 2014 Maverick Max XRS and I've been giving a lot of thought to how I'm going to set it up. Virtually all of my riding will be forest service trail and rock crawling. Because of the longer wheelbase I was going to go with 30" Rotanes on STI 14" beadlocks to get it off the ground a bit. But...

...I really like the look of an LT all terrain or mud tire on a 15" wheel. Who out there is running a 30"-32" LT Tire on their Maverick that can give me some first hand insight? I know they're substantially heavier and clutch upgrades will have to be part of that. I'm not too worried about top end but I am worried about reliability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with the LT235/75R15 Toyo Open Country AT2. They measure 28.5in. Check my post under ties, lots of photos. I just blew an O.E. belt yesterday riding 4 people. 1255 Miles and 81hrs. Stock clutch. 500 miles on the tires. I was splashing thru water on a war day. I am not sure the tires caused the belt failure. I think 30in will be fine with no clutch mods.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your setup and was hoping you would reply. I want to go taller, at least 30". I think I'll get what I want out of the Roctanes but I want to do the research before I start spending the money. Ultimately, I would like to throw 31x10.50R15 BFG KM2 on there, but I believe they are 45 lbs each which is about 6" heavier than the Roctanes (and that's not adding in the taller rim weight).

How are you liking the spacers? I've heard mixed reviews on the Maverick.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought the 30 Roctanes performed very well on my Max. A little on the heavy side compared to the Big Horns though but boy they BITE hard. Also I think the more current Roctanes are a bit lighter per tire these days from the ones I was running

·
Registered
12 Posts
These tires rub a little bit on the rear. I even moved the rear spanner nuts down 3/8". If you are not doing a lift or change your suspension, you will rub. I run 16psi in the tires mostly for anti-roll when car is loaded with 4 adults. The spacers are awesome. I feel they are needed for stability on a Max. Some trails they run a little wide. 40-50mph roads they make the car very stable in the corners. The front tires don't break loose at all on pea-gravel. A regular Maverick 2 seat doesn't need spacers. What ever you decide on for a tire/wheel. Get the same size front and rear so you can rotate them. When the drive wheels get rounded edges, you can even reverse direction to round the other side of the lug. The KM2's would be the best tire. Kevlar lined. However they are very heavy and expensive. Tell your local BFG dealer you are installing them on your Ford Ranger and put "road hazard" on them. LOL You may never have to buy a tire for at least 8-15k miles of off-road. Clutch and lift seem mandatory for a 30-32" tire. You want forest roads, rock crawling, and not high speeds. Lift and clutch for sure and you may run in low everywhere you go. Wonder if they make a transmission kit with a granny gear for these thing? LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts