Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

Registered
I installed the Lowrance Elite 9ti in the center of my buggy above the switches using a short but big Ram mount. I also purchased the ATV & Snowmobile trail maps from VVMapping here in Michigan. Works great in the U.P. on longer rides.

M
Did you purchase the Great Lakes Snowmobile + ORV System GPS Maps? That鈥檚 the one I鈥檝e been interested in to install on a unit for riding in WI. If that鈥檚 the one you got, could you let me know how it looks for mapping in WI?

I really want to get a GPS so we don鈥檛 have to constantly stop at intersections to look at trail maps to figure out which way we need to go.

Premium Member
Can anyone run me through how to wire this unit up in the X3?
Don't know what model you have, however like Mega said you will have a power supply to your lowrance. It will have a red ( power) black (ground) or green look on your owners manual to make sure what wire color they specify for power and ground. You can wire from battery or you can hook it to the post between the seats. Between the seat you will have (on the passengers side) three terminals covered by a black cap. One is ground, one is power and the last one is switched. Decide if you want power to your chart plotter even when the car is off or if you want it to shut off when the car shuts off. If you want it off when the car is off hook it to switched leg, if always want it to have power to the positive terminal and the ground to the ground.

Picture shows the cap in the upper right hand corner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67
Don't know what model you have, however like Mega said you will have a power supply to your lowrance. It will have a red ( power) black (ground) or green look on your owners manual to make sure what wire color they specify for power and ground. You can wire from battery or you can hook it to the post between the seats. Between the seat you will have (on the passengers side) three terminals covered by a black cap. One is ground, one is power and the last one is switched. Decide if you want power to your chart plotter even when the car is off or if you want it to shut off when the car shuts off. If you want it off when the car is off hook it to switched leg, if always want it to have power to the positive terminal and the ground to the ground.

Picture shows the cap in the upper right hand corner.
OK this helps a ton because I did not want to tear into my car until I knew exactly how to wire it. I want to be able to turn it on without the car on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
ok got mine wired up and installed. Gonna use it at Hatfield Mccoy. I also will need it for next year because Im going on the 7 day Back to Cali ride with Off The Grid.

Registered
I installed the Lowrance Elite 9ti in the center of my buggy above the switches using a short but big Ram mount. I also purchased the ATV & Snowmobile trail maps from VVMapping here in Michigan. Works great in the U.P. on longer rides.

M
Pictures? Would like to see how the 9鈥 looks installed compared to the 7鈥
thanks

Premium Member
I have now completed several rides using the chart plotter just behind the gauge cluster and lover it there. I can see it all the time with out taking my eyes off the trail. I thought it might be an issue with light etc... but so fare it has be great and at night I just hit the power button and dim the lights down so it is not an issue when dark.

Love the placement.

Registered
Cabela's has the Elite 9ti on sale for 599. regularly sells for 1000. I was going to get the 7ti until I saw the 9 for a few dollars more. Does anybody have experience with the 9ti? would it be too big?

Premium Member
Cabela's has the Elite 9ti on sale for 599. regularly sells for 1000. I was going to get the 7ti until I saw the 9 for a few dollars more. Does anybody have experience with the 9ti? would it be too big?
I have a 7 HDS Carbon and I could use the 9in for sure. It is bigger but I don't think it would be hiding much more when installed over dash center.

If you install it over your gauge cluster, that is another story though...

The dual screen feature is very nice and if this model also supports it, you are going to love it on a 9in.

Registered
I have a 7 HDS Carbon and I could use the 9in for sure. It is bigger but I don't think it would be hiding much more when installed over dash center.

If you install it over your gauge cluster, that is another story though...

The dual screen feature is very nice and if this model also supports it, you are going to love it on a 9in.
Thanks for the feedback!

Registered
The main reason I went with the Lowrance was the exact reason Goinflight did. Going to Baja with Off the Grid. I ended up getting the Elite 9ti. I have been using a Galaxy Tab 8.0 with Gaia. I have to say that I absolutely detest using the Gaia. Gaia does not function as a GPS where I can input a destination while on the trail and have it navigate me there. Also trying to determine a route on my computer sometimes is difficult as the trails are not always what they seem on the computer. Been in a couple of bad spots because of those two reasons. It is great for breadcrumbing though and I like the size of the screen on the tab.

Anyway, the main questions I have on the Lowrance other than how to mount the thing since it seems to be almost too big is - Do you have to buy and download maps for every area/state that you will be riding in? Or worse yet, have to predetermine my route, generate that route from the computer, then download like Gaia?

Premium Member
The main reason I went with the Lowrance was the exact reason Goinflight did. Going to Baja with Off the Grid. I ended up getting the Elite 9ti. I have been using a Galaxy Tab 8.0 with Gaia. I have to say that I absolutely detest using the Gaia. Gaia does not function as a GPS where I can input a destination while on the trail and have it navigate me there. Also trying to determine a route on my computer sometimes is difficult as the trails are not always what they seem on the computer. Been in a couple of bad spots because of those two reasons. It is great for breadcrumbing though and I like the size of the screen on the tab.

Anyway, the main questions I have on the Lowrance other than how to mount the thing since it seems to be almost too big is - Do you have to buy and download maps for every area/state that you will be riding in? Or worse yet, have to predetermine my route, generate that route from the computer, then download like Gaia?
I bought the local topo maps I ride. I also downloaded the free Open Street Maps. I use both.
Then I use the computer to generate tracks for the specific trails I want to ride and save them to the GPS.
You can also convert tracks into routes within the Lowrance if you want it to guide you but I never did that.

Registered

PCI sells a mount for the HDS7, but I didn't like not being able to remove the unit when it's parked overnight at a hotel, or when I'm in a bar. I had a local fabricator make me one that uses the knobs on each side, so I can remove it in just a few seconds. Email me if you want pics. [email protected]

Registered
PCI sells a mount for the HDS7, but I didn't like not being able to remove the unit when it's parked overnight at a hotel, or when I'm in a bar. I had a local fabricator make me one that uses the knobs on each side, so I can remove it in just a few seconds. Email me if you want pics. [email protected]
Thanks! sent you an email.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts