Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
We did the Tensor Tire Trip, which is 4 days and three nights. Meeting at the Tecate Border crossing, our group parked on the US side and drove our cars (16 in total) across the border.
Off the Grid had three of their X3’s and chase truck go across with us.

Connor (the owner of Off the Grid) was great and leads all of their trips and pre-runs the routes beforehand. Is team was great and able to handle any issue on the trail. Even this:

We had 3 rollovers on our trip (this guy bent his A-arm) and they were able to get him back on the trail to finish the day. Back at the hotel they replaced his A-arm for him.

They have a couple guys (Pedro and Ivan) who live in Baja and were with us as support on the trip.
I brought my son with me (he’s 11) and everyone was so great to him, as he was the only kid on the trip.

Hotel accommodations were very “Baja Mexico”, if that makes sense.
We found out Mike’s Sky Ranch shuts the power off at 11pm. Family that runs the hotel was great, and our group were basically the only ones staying there that night.

The day riding on the beach was great, never could do that before!

Night 2 we stayed at the Old Mill and had dinner. Cool old fishing town.

Third day was the longest, with about 12 hours in the car (many stops) and 200 miles. Long day, realized I should have bought better lights, as my cheap light bar proved worthless in the dark.

Last night was spent at the Horsepower Ranch in Ensenada.

As long as you have an X3, you are all set with them. They literally carry on their cars (and chase truck) almost any part needed for a repair. I saw them replace an axle, replace missing radius rod bolts, change belts, etc right on the trail.
The only car they had to trailer home was a RZR that was having clutch issues. (It didn’t seem like they carried parts for RZR’s)
The only other RZR was a brand new Turbo S that had problems the whole time. (Would not shift into 4wd/suspension was not adjusting, ride command screen just kept scrolling). Felt bad for him, as the car was still new.

Half of the people on the trip had gone before, and three of them had already booked the 7 day, 1300 mile trip to Cabo. (not sure if I’d be ready for that one, lol)

Ok, so here was the total damage list to my car:
Bent radius rod. (i was the only one with stock ones)
These are getting replaced.
Radio issues. (lots of engine feedback when receiving) think this was due to all the water we hit. Looking into moving placement of radio
Lost my gas cap trim cover to Baja!
One flat tire
One broken belt (that busted the housing, of course)
Lights were worthless. Going with a KC Highliter setup
Car went into limp mode on the final couple miles. (Not sure what happened here, but am getting it checked out)
Off road trails were amazing, views were great. Really put the car to the test. Blazing down trails at 65mph was a blast! Had to keep an eye out for cows, donkeys, sheep, etc

When all was said and done I asked my son what he liked most about our trip. He said “the people” we went with. Very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
We did the Tensor Tire Trip, which is 4 days and three nights. Meeting at the Tecate Border crossing, our group parked on the US side and drove our cars (16 in total) across the border.
Off the Grid had three of their X3’s and chase truck go across with us.

Connor (the owner of Off the Grid) was great and leads all of their trips and pre-runs the routes beforehand. Is team was great and able to handle any issue on the trail. Even this:

We had 3 rollovers on our trip (this guy bent his A-arm) and they were able to get him back on the trail to finish the day. Back at the hotel they replaced his A-arm for him.

They have a couple guys (Pedro and Ivan) who live in Baja and were with us as support on the trip.
I brought my son with me (he’s 11) and everyone was so great to him, as he was the only kid on the trip.

Hotel accommodations were very “Baja Mexico”, if that makes sense.
We found out Mike’s Sky Ranch shuts the power off at 11pm. Family that runs the hotel was great, and our group were basically the only ones staying there that night.

The day riding on the beach was great, never could do that before!

Night 2 we stayed at the Old Mill and had dinner. Cool old fishing town.

Third day was the longest, with about 12 hours in the car (many stops) and 200 miles. Long day, realized I should have bought better lights, as my cheap light bar proved worthless in the dark.

Last night was spent at the Horsepower Ranch in Ensenada.

As long as you have an X3, you are all set with them. They literally carry on their cars (and chase truck) almost any part needed for a repair. I saw them replace an axle, replace missing radius rod bolts, change belts, etc right on the trail.
The only car they had to trailer home was a RZR that was having clutch issues. (It didn’t seem like they carried parts for RZR’s)
The only other RZR was a brand new Turbo S that had problems the whole time. (Would not shift into 4wd/suspension was not adjusting, ride command screen just kept scrolling). Felt bad for him, as the car was still new.

Half of the people on the trip had gone before, and three of them had already booked the 7 day, 1300 mile trip to Cabo. (not sure if I’d be ready for that one, lol)

Ok, so here was the total damage list to my car:
Bent radius rod. (i was the only one with stock ones)
These are getting replaced.
Radio issues. (lots of engine feedback when receiving) think this was due to all the water we hit. Looking into moving placement of radio
Lost my gas cap trim cover to Baja!
One flat tire
One broken belt (that busted the housing, of course)
Lights were worthless. Going with a KC Highliter setup
Car went into limp mode on the final couple miles. (Not sure what happened here, but am getting it checked out)
Off road trails were amazing, views were great. Really put the car to the test. Blazing down trails at 65mph was a blast! Had to keep an eye out for cows, donkeys, sheep, etc

When all was said and done I asked my son what he liked most about our trip. He said “the people” we went with. Very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awesomeness! It’s a trip you and your kid will never forget.

I am taking my kid this summer for his 1st trip to Baja.

I have heard nothing but good things about Off The Grid and their trips.

I am doing the Black Rhino Performance summer ride again. Eric and company do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’ll have to check that one out. We will be back, for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Great pics, great descriptions! I went on their site last night. I saw it was $5900 a car, so that would put me at $11800 for both. I don't mind spending money, but.....(LOL). Plus, I don't have GPSs in either car. I really want to do this, but I have to get a couple of other things firmed up. It definitely is on my list though. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
268 Posts
My trip was $2200, the 7 day trip is $5900.

As as far as my lights, they just illuminated the dust and mist at night. Hoping a better quality light will cut through some of that. (also adding some amber light)

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts

As as far as my lights, they just illuminated the dust and mist at night. Hoping a better quality light will cut through some of that. (also adding some amber light)
Oh, OK, thanks. That makes it a little easier on the wallet. If you guys drove across the border, where did you park your trucks, and trailers? No problems with vandalism?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Overhead light bar I’m guessing? That’s all they ever do. Lights on the front work much better and since real estate is limited on the bumper it pays to get quality lights that put out a lot of useable light in a small package.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Oh, OK, thanks. That makes it a little easier on the wallet. If you guys drove across the border, where did you park your trucks, and trailers? No problems with vandalism?
In tecate there are gated, guarded parking lots that are secure. You have to drive about a quarter mile on the road to the border but the local cops don’t care.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
In tecate there are gated, guarded parking lots that are secure. You have to drive about a quarter mile on the road to the border but the local cops don’t care.
Thanks! This trip, or actually the Cabo trip will be in my future.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I know this thread went sideways with the Baja trip, but I'm trying to bring it back, sort of, LOL! Why are GPSs required on the trip if you're playing follow the leader? Do they let you wander off alone? That doesn't seem likely?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I know this thread went sideways with the Baja trip, but I'm trying to bring it back, sort of, LOL! Why are GPSs required on the trip if you're playing follow the leader? Do they let you wander off alone? That doesn't seem likely?
Probably because when it’s dusty you want to hang back from the guy in front of you, and it’s easy to miss a turn that way. What most guides do is stop at each intersection until the next rider comes along, then that guy stops until the guy behind him shows up, etc. But it still gets screwed up and the more cars you have the harder it is to herd all the cats if they are just playing follow the leader.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Zambo is correct. I had the Magellan and needed to buy the Lowrance for this trip. (glad I did) I still like the Magellan for getting back to camp, etc, but the Lowrance is great. At some points, you cannot see anyone in front of behind you. Knowing when your turns are coming up helps, as well as a navigator to remind you from time to time!

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Zambo is correct. I had the Magellan and needed to buy the Lowrance for this trip. (glad I did) I still like the Magellan for getting back to camp, etc, but the Lowrance is great. At some points, you cannot see anyone in front of behind you. Knowing when your turns are coming up helps, as well as a navigator to remind you from time to time!
Why? What's the difference?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

Get some quality Lights that have amber covers. Cuts through the dust much better. Especially if you keep them on the bumper. Or low on the a-pillar.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Why? What's the difference?
The reason is they use Lowrance to to pre-run and mark the route. The gps files are put on a card that you can load easily onto the Lowrance gps. I do not believe you can convert the gps format from Lowrance to another gps.

If there is an issue they are familiar with the units.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
The reason is they use Lowrance to to pre-run and mark the route. The gps files are put on a card that you can load easily onto the Lowrance gps. I do not believe you can convert the gps format from Lowrance to another gps.

If there is an issue they are familiar with the units.

Makes sense, thanks shark.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts