Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a Lowrance in their rig? If so, which model and can you post pics? I am looking to install one for a big trip I have planned and need some pointers.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I have the Lowrance HDS Gen 2 7" fish finder Chart plotter. It works good however I have noticed that I can not seem to get the fish finder to work in the desert for some reason. :big smile:

I will post some pics later today. On one of the other post (on the forum talked about above) a guy said he was going on a Baja mexico trip and the guide required a Lowrance to be able to go. The chart plotter works well and is easy to see while driving I like having mine in the car.

They are pricing and I would not have purchased one just for the X3 unless I was doing a big trip like Baja or something like that. I already had this unit on my boat and decided to give it a try in the car and I like it over my tablet I was using. The tablet would lose signal and sometimes would not be able to get connected to the gps app etc....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was the guy that needed to switch from my Magellan TRX7 to the Lowrance to go to Baja with Off the Grid.
Still liked my Magellan, but the Lowrance worked awesome following the route in Baja. I’ll know more about how I like it once I get to use it for my casual riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I use the Elite 5ti. I like it and bought it so I can use it in Baja. It works great in Glamis. PCI has maps you can purchase for certain areas.

If you want more detail the Magellan TRX7 might be a better better choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm the guy that's going with Off The Grid on May 27. I'm using the HDS7 because the 5" one was too small for me to see without putting on my reading glasses.
I'm having a new mount built by a fabricator here in Santa Clarita. The mount that PCI sells, you can't remove the GPS easily. I want to be able to remove it using the two knobs on the side of the unit.
I have a short video of the CAD layout if anyone's interested in seeing it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you. The mount should be done by next week. My fabricator is very meticulous and will be making it out of 3/16" steel and using a water jet to cut it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You can also get a RAM mount for it and mount it to the cage. You'll need intrusion bars if you want it in the middle but I put mine over on the passenger side so he can navigate while I drive.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I just bolted an Ram mount to my dash up by where the intrusion bars would be and use it there. I can put it in the middle or just behind my gauge cluster. I am now going to put a second ram mount on the passenger side so that I can mount it over there for a navigator setup. I like that I can move it around easily.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I just bolted an Ram mount to my dash up by where the intrusion bars would be and use it there. I can put it in the middle or just behind my gauge cluster. I am now going to put a second ram mount on the passenger side so that I can mount it over there for a navigator setup. I like that I can move it around easily.
Mounting it behind the gauge cluster is a great spot. That is where I should of mounted mine. I just used the PCI mount, which works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Mounting it behind the gauge cluster is a great spot. That is where I should of mounted mine. I just used the PCI mount, which works fine.
Wife barely see over cluster, no way I could have installed it there. Lol

Went over dash, using two RAM mounts on intrusion bars.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Wife barely see over cluster, no way I could have installed it there. Lol

Went over dash, using two RAM mounts on intrusion bars.
LOL! Having it behind the cluster is great for high speed desert runs.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I was the guy that needed to switch from my Magellan TRX7 to the Lowrance to go to Baja with Off the Grid.
Still liked my Magellan, but the Lowrance worked awesome following the route in Baja. I’ll know more about how I like it once I get to use it for my casual riding.

Off subject but liking that wrap. Where did you have that done ? Digital camo ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Haha. You should have seen my driveway after I got home and cleaned it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Greatest experience ever with Off the Grid. Definitely recommend for anyone interested in going to Mexico.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Greatest experience ever with Off the Grid. Definitely recommend for anyone interested in going to Mexico.
Explain it a little more if you don't mind. Sand shark has talked about it too. Where did you drive to? Costs? Did you bring much? Did you break much? Was there a chase truck following with gas, spare parts, etc.? Any hassles at the border, either way? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Explain it a little more if you don't mind. Sand shark has talked about it too. Where did you drive to? Costs? Did you bring much? Did you break much? Was there a chase truck following with gas, spare parts, etc.? Any hassles at the border, either way? Thanks!!!
Just sign up and have one of the best offroad experiences you can have in a SXS.

Off The Grid has full chase support. I believe you park on the USA side at the Tecate border crossing and drive your SXS into Mexico.

If you check their website it gives you lots of details. You do need a Lowarance GPS and radio for their rides.

The ride they do to Cabo is on my list of rides to do.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts