Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Lowrance Elite 9 Ti GPS Question

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SteeevO 
#1 ·
I've been considering upgrading my Samsung 8" tablet to a Lowrance Elite as I'm not happy with the V V mapping on the tablet. It works great on the Garmin GPS, but to much clutter on the Samsung so I've been running both and now ready to move to one system. Wondering if I need a GPS antenna if I switch to a Lowrance? Anybody running it and have insight? There are several refurbished units on eBay but most don't include the antenna so it would be an additional cost. Open to other large screen suggestions as well.

#2 ·
I run the Lowrance Live 7 in my Raptor. Every Lowrance has an internal antenna that is supposed to be very good. Mine worked in Baja, so take that for what it's worth. You can always get the external antenna puck if it's needed. I believe it's about $225 or thereabouts.

Reactions: SteeevO
#4 ·
Depends ……if you ride in thick woods then yes you do , if you ride open sky like Baja then no . The internal gps antenna is weak and the roof blocks signal . I had to add and external for woods riding

#6 ·
Get the GPS antenna. The internal one might not work as well in the woods. You will have to download mapping for the areas you ride in as the Lowrance does not come loaded with mapping.

If you know how to use google earth you can create gpx files and download them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Get the GPS antenna. The internal one might not work as well in the woods. You will have to download mapping for the areas you ride in as the Lowrance does not come loaded with mapping.

If you know how to use google earth you can create gpx files and download them.

When hooking up the antenna, make sure you do it correctly.. as many people believe that the antenna just p[lugs into the back of the units..
This video should shed some light on that.

#7 ·
Have you looked at the Garmin Trend? Might be a better GPS option for your riding area.

#8 ·
Thanks all! Will check out the Garmin Trend, I know Garmin works well with the VV Mapping program. I was running my Garmin Nuvi with the Samsung tablet, Garmin was better to see upcoming turns/hazards, and the Samsung was good zoomed out further for navigating. Unfortunately, my Nuvi died this year during the snowmobile season so time to upgrade.