Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body else have this thing get stuck? I recently rebuilt my front end (a arms, gusset kit shock tower mount, sway bar, sway bar links, and took the springs off to powder coat)...but nothing to the shocks.

went to make some minor adjustments to my front low speed compression today, and found the flat head screw completely stuck, pretty much stripped it out trying to get it to move. Almost as if its cross threaded. Frustrating...I had it pretty much dialed in.

it spins with the high speed compression nut if I wrench on it, but not independently.Any one else run into this? Suggestions on how to free it up?

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High speed compression was 2 1/4 turns from fully closed when I went to adjust low speed.When I put the flat head in and turned it, the nut moved with it. I put a wrench on the nut and attempted to turn the screw, that is when it partly stripped.

the flat head screw is not "maxed out". I can see a bit of thread. The opposite side spins beyond that point, to where I see no threads.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When you say "stripped", do you mean the slot head or the threads?
If it is in between full open and full closed, then it is just stuck.
Did you try something like PB Blaster?
Gently work it back and forth and see if you can break it loose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say "stripped", do you mean the slot head or the threads?
If it is in between full open and full closed, then it is just stuck.
Did you try something like PB Blaster?
Gently work it back and forth and see if you can break it loose.
Yes, the slot is pretty much stripped, its pretty shallow and the metal is soft. The only way it moves is by turning the high speed nut.

still under warranty, I may have to take to dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to try this today...but I'm skeptical its going to work...I think it got cross threaded or took a bump to it just right when I had them loose. It feels like it really needs some torque to get it out, but the soft metal on the flat head just wants to strip out.

I'm going to call shock therapy this morning for suggestions per MDD's recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 ds turbo r
113 Posts
Not sure if it’s a option or not. For a last ditch throw some locks on the nut, and hammer and punch to back the screw out. If the screw is soft metal you can also try to reset a screw driver in it. Pretty much tap the screw driver with a hammer to try and get some more depth to grab.

Both options will leave some marks. Not sure what your thoughts are on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if it’s a option or not. For a last ditch throw some locks on the nut, and hammer and punch to back the screw out. If the screw is soft metal you can also try to reset a screw driver in it. Pretty much tap the screw driver with a hammer to try and get some more depth to grab.

Great minds think alike...I've considered both. I'm debating weather to do that, or stop now and take it to dealer. Machine has 400 miles, and is only 2.5 months old. I think this would still be covered by warranty but it I get to aggressive on the screw I could screw the warranty option.

·
Premium Member
7,603 Posts

yikes!!! beating on a soft brass screw inside an expensive shock, I sure wouldn't do that. I think his best bet is to call ST and they might be able to walk him through removing the compression adjuster/stack and sending it in for repair.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 ds turbo r
113 Posts
Like I said. To each his own. Lol. I have no issues with messing up my own stuff. Only way you learn what may work, and what won’t.

I’d try it, but thats just me. Works on guns and cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts