Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear y’all cruise in? On the trails do you stay in low or high? Also do you come to complete stop to go from low to high? Got a 2015 Maverick 1000XMR. My first one. Sorry for dumb questions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a different machine then you so things might not be the same for same...but I cruise in High. I have the X3 and mine will actually tell me to switch to Low if I am putting too much stress on the belt in high. I do make a complete stop when I go from low to high as that is making a mechanical change on the gears in the gearbox/trans. I am guessing there could be some grinding or noises if not at a complete stop. I would have to revert to some of the long timers on this as I haven't tried to switch while moving.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What gear y’all cruise in? On the trails do you stay in low or high? Also do you come to complete stop to go from low to high? Got a 2015 Maverick 1000XMR. My first one. Sorry for dumb questions.
With our 15' Turbo, If I was going under 20, I would use low. The OG Mavericks are geared higher than the X3.
Yes you do need to stop between high and low.
You can burp the thottle going from 4 to 2 and from 2 to 4, Just not at high speed.

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Lots of factors determine. Its not a black/white thing. You’ll figure it out with time. Remember Low is always goimg to be easier on the belt

·
Registered
295 Posts
We always run in low unless we're cruising at speed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
unless i was in some mud or climbing something where i needed extra rpm's, i was in high with mine. it was so loud in the cab running in low that it aggravated me. i never pushed it that hard so i didnt have any trouble with belts. it was an xmr afterall, if i wanted a racer, i would have got something different.

steve

Reactions: WarHammer

·
Registered
2019 Maverick sport xmr
18 Posts
I just got mine. But I've run high so far. It may wear belts quicker. But a belt is cheaper than an engine. Rather run lower rpms. Plus quieter and better on fuel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well shredded my first belt this weekend and it was my fault. It was really wet and as a storm was coming in I had to hurry back to camp (10 miles). Was running in high for a few miles in 18” of water and as soon as I hit the mud and dry trail...boom!

No damage to clutch case but the insulation was shredded. I removed it after blowing out all the dust & debris...

Do I need that insulation for anything aside from noose reduction?

Didn’t see a belt warning either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
There is no warning for belt. Sometimes it will tell you to shift to low but that’s at low rpm in high gear. I’m sure you were not running low rpm in 18” of water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no warning for belt. Sometimes it will tell you to shift to low but that’s at low rpm in high gear. I’m sure you were not running low rpm in 18” of water.

Definitely not. Getting away from lightning was more top of mind...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The liner is a separate piece and is held in place with push clips. I paid 30 bucks for mine.
I saw them pretty inexpensive and still have the clips. Does it do anything aside from noise reduction..?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It is for noise reduction however I suspect the design of the new primary cover requires the felt liner to give the system proper airflow to cool the belt. At minimum check the belt temperatures to be sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts